Cruise Etiquette - Major Faux Pas???

Izzblizz

Play Titanic theme on the way to or during the Muster drill

Women wearing skimpy bikini without shaving legs and other areas

Order two of every course on the menu and only eat 1/2 ask for a doggy bag.

Hanky panky in the public areas

Knock on the door to the bridge and ask if they have any grey Poupon

:cool::cool::cool:

• 2 weeks later...
How about no Speedos by hairy men, hairless men, men over 12? Has this been covered? Or barely as the case may be.:eek:

Futuravision, who made you the person to decide what other people are comfortable wearing. If you dont like what someone is wearing, don't stare at them wearing it.

They may not like your choice of attire that day either.

A few things that annoyed me..but of course I said nothing =}

We arrived at the port very early...and knew we were early so we took a seat where we were told. Some woman comes about an hour after and when she was asked to take a seat she got all load "Oh No! I Am not going to sit here for 3 hours! Are you crazy?!" totally rediculous. Some people just like to be the center of attention and it's annoying.

The "Easy Walk Off" is not easy...Don't assume you are going to be the only passenger who decides to walk off with their luggage. There may be a line and you will have to wait! Standing around waiting for my tag color to be called I heard at least 5 people if not more say "NCL and I have different meanings of 'easy walk-off'"! or "Easy walk off is not so easy is it?"

If you are waiting in line don't complain about your spot in line. The people infront of you and behind you do not want to hear it.

If you are going to get a chair by the pool, wait until you actually need a chair. Don't just throw your stuff on a chair and never come back.

Don't let your kids run around the dinner table. It's annoying to the others around you. Teach your children manners early in life it goes a long way.

I don't really understand how parents could let their children 12 and under run around the cruise ship alone either - makes me nervous....but maybe i'm just paranoid! But if you do make sure they can behave themselves in public with their friends don't assume how they act infront of you is how they act away from you!

My 18 and 7 y.o. will be joining me on a cruise next July. The 7 y.o. wears a backpack to carry her medication pumps (which will be running 18 hours/day). During the life-vest drill, does the backpack go inside or outside the vest? (please don't roll your eyes - we've never put one on!)

On Formal Night, I planned to have us eat elsewhere, because I picture "Formal" as "no kids".....is this how it is done on cruises with limited children aboard? We will be on the Ocean Princess for an 18 day "Land of the Midnight Sun and North Cape" voyage.

Thank you for the previous tips!

My 18 and 7 y.o. will be joining me on a cruise next July. The 7 y.o. wears a backpack to carry her medication pumps (which will be running 18 hours/day). During the life-vest drill, does the backpack go inside or outside the vest? (please don't roll your eyes - we've never put one on!)

On Formal Night, I planned to have us eat elsewhere, because I picture "Formal" as "no kids".....is this how it is done on cruises with limited children aboard? We will be on the Ocean Princess for an 18 day "Land of the Midnight Sun and North Cape" voyage.

Most cruise lines do not require you to take your life vest to the muster drill. If you have a question about it for your DD, just ask a crew member to assist.

As for formal night, I see nothing wrong with going with your kids.

Wish we could compile a list and have it sent to every future cruiser...

People behave on a cruise ship the way they behave at home.

Sometimes that is a good thing...sometimes it is not.

It is a shame that we literally have to teach individuals not to be rude.

But just in case someone is reading this and taking it to heart:

Yes, laughing loudly and partying in the cabin hallways at 2AM is rude.

(there is nothing wrong with people who go to bed before midnight)

Yes, rushing the elevator before you know if people are getting off is rude.

(as is not allowing someone with a handicap to go first...especially if they were there before you were)

Yes, allowing your children to turn their cabin into a jungle gym ...jumping from the Upper onto the bed below while screaming with delight and slamming into the walls is rude.

Yes, habitually arriving 30 minutes late to your 6PM or 8:15 dinner is rude.

This is a set dinner time; not a suggestion. If you want to arrive at anytime...sign up for Your Time Dining.

Yes, removing the automatic tips (not because of bad service, but to spend the money on yourself) is rude. This is how these hard working crew get paid. If you can't afford to tip, stay off the ship.

Yes, "dumping" your children for the other passengers to babysit is rude.

Parents should still be parents; even on vacation. Unfortunately, the ones that don't parent on the ship; don't parent at home either.

All of this is based on common respect of other people.....and sadly, in short supply on some cruises....but certainly not all.

To the OP: as someone else said earlier...if you cared enough to ask...then you will probably not be the one that everyone talks about.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise....odds are you may run into one or two of the above...but for the most part, cruisers are great folks.

These are very good questions.

You need to contact Princess' special needs department so that they will be aware that your child may need some additional assistance. We have a son with Autism for whom the safety drill would be a nightmare meltdown if it were not for the fabulous accommodations they make for him.

At this time, I would also ask about the proper way to use the life vest...so that it can do its job AND protect the pump. This life vest needs to be worn so that it does BOTH...

As far as FORMAL night...our sons ate with us starting at the age of 5 and 8 on every cruise. They dressed in their suits (although not required) and we had wonderful family dinners. So please do not think that FORMAL is adult only. This is completely your choice.

On Carnival (which owns Princess) children have the option of eating with Camp Carnival on Formal Night so that the parents can enjoy a formal evening to themselves...but it certainly is not required. I have never sailed Princess, so I don't know for certain that they do the same thing.....

I hope you have a cruise filled with great family memories!!!

"holding" the elevator for someone not already there waiting with you is rude -- if your partner needed to "run back" to the cabin or where ever for "just a sec", let the elevator (and its pax) continue on its way and don't "call" for another elevator until he/she actually gets back.

And the concept of speaking in your "inside" voice is not just for kids. I hate being forced to listen to other people's conversations (particularly when they are three tables over in the MDR!)

Edited by Onessa

Another thing that bothers me is when people put their room service trays in the hall. The halls are narrow and the trays could be a safety hazard as people could trip on them. Also it is just plain unsightly to look at left over food on the floor.

That always bugs me too - I just leave mine on the table in the room.

I love this thread! I'm leaving on 1/14 for b2b cruises on the Majesty... my daughter ended up having emergency surgery last week and we are still in the hospital... so instead of losing those last 15 lbs, I've probably gained 20... (Sorry, went totally off topic there).

Anyhow, this post had me laughing so hard I nearly wet my pants... the back pack topic was just too much! Maybe it's because it's 5:00 am and I haven't been to sleep yet but I was laughing so hard it woke up my daughter (despite her being on pain medication)...

Let me see if I can summarize the last 7 pages...

1. Backpacks might as well be listed as Weapons of Mass Destruction (depending on who you ask)

2. Parents should do their job and raise their children rather than letting them roam the ship like it's their 1,000 ft. home.

3. Elevator ettiquette still applies at sea

4. Follow the posted signage about "saving" lounge chairs (and don't be afraid to enforce the signage)

5. The hallways are more narrow on a ship, so be aware of what you put in them, or how you transit through them

6. People like to stargaze, so do them a favor and don't leave your light on your balcony on all night

7. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. (where have I heard that before???)

8. No wetsuits at the buffet

9. Don't drip food on ladies in wheelchairs

10. Be kind, rewind! (just wanted to see who was paying attention).

Edited by cmoor052

If I could make another comment on the boat vs. ship discussion....

As a submariner, I get offended when someone calls a submarine a ship. It's a boat. It always has been a boat, and it always will be a boat.

As for the larger targets (err. surface craft), call them whatever you want. They continually operate at test depth (the maximum design depth of a vessel) which just doesn't seem like the safest plan. But, since the cruise industry has a proven track record of successful operation in such a perilous situation, I will be more than happy to entrust my sole to their mighty vessel and the men who sail her.

I am still reeling over the skimpy bikini and no shaving......Seen it one too many times, especially on the European cruises.

My personal one is too many people just coming in on a private conversation. No problem adding to the discussion, but to not only add an irrelevant idea, but then to just stare when you completely stop all others from talking...

And the chair hogs. Why even take a chair and table if you are going to stay in the pool…Come on.

Remember that the crew is made up of hard working people from many countries.

We sailed on the Carnival Triumph out of New Orleans last April, and a lot of our fellow pax were people who had won their cruises as awards through Ag company contests, etc... and a huge number of them were first time cruisers. I can't even tell you how many times we heard rude comments about "them people who don't even speak good English", and "I don't want foreigners touching my things" (the stewards & assistants), and just the blatantly rude treatment of the crew. The crew members are doing a job I wouldn't want to do, especially for the length of time their contracts require them to be on board, so we tend to go out of our way to be natural and easygoing with them, and not only have we had great treatment, but we have learned a lot about them and their lives off of the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

How about rude things done TO crew members? As cruisers, we need to remember that they are not our playmates, personal beckon call servants, lap dogs or best friends.

They have jobs to perform. Althought they will never disagree or refuse you, if you treat them too familiarily or monopolise their time, you are not allowing them to do their work.

Secondarily, try to remember that physical contact and jestures mean different things in other (non-anglo) cultures. A pat, hug or movement may seem fine to you but convey a disrespectful or downright rude message to them.

Just be aware is all I'm saying...:rolleyes:

How about rude things done TO crew members? As cruisers, we need to remember that they are not our playmates, personal beckon call servants, lap dogs or best friends.

They have jobs to perform. Althought they will never disagree or refuse you, if you treat them too familiarily or monopolise their time, you are not allowing them to do their work.

Secondarily, try to remember that physical contact and jestures mean different things in other (non-anglo) cultures. A pat, hug or movement may seem fine to you but convey a disrespectful or downright rude message to them.

So, if my room steward does not perform to my expectations, it would be wrong to beat him/her with a 2 by 4?:rolleyes:

Thanx for the great advice.:eek:

So true! I feel bad for the crew members, no matter what job they have, when people treat them badly. If you have ever read about the lives some of the crew live day in and day out...you would be kind to them. They work hard and deserve some patience and kindness from passengers.

Another thing mentioned before, an OP asked about taking their children to the formal dining room. Of course! You seemed like a very good parent to even be asking that....and I am sure your children would enjoy the experience. It is a fun and delightful thing to share with your family.

Every cruise I have been on (3 so far, the 4th in 4 weeks) I have seen rude obnoxious people. After seeing them I try to ignore them from then on or hope I don't see them again.

Most of the passengers will be good people and just trying to enjoy a vacation like you are. Let's face it, some people just live to complain, and love to cause scenes...they thrive on it! I avoid confrontations and live a peaceful life for the most part. Don't sweat the small stuff, in other words!

I must agree with the other posters who say do NOT let your children raise hades, running around screaming. If there is a family/childrens pool, take them there! Its an adult pool for a reason. I read on a "cruise law" site that child molestation is RAMPANT on some cruise lines, and some lines do not do extensive backround checks. (Scarey, right?)

On the backpack issue.."The right for you to swing your fist ends where the other guy's nose begins...".

Happy Cruising!