What do you Think? How to explain it?

sail7seas

We were on Eur4odam last week and had a wonderful time..... more comments later

Something unexplainable to me happened and hopefully someone can explain.

We used my Acer and it was terrific as always but four times I tried to connect to CC /HAL and kept getting 'error' message. The Board would come up.

I tried to go through my 'favorites' link as well as throu7gh home page3 and "error" all I got.

Was the Board down or was it something on HAL/MTN at sea satelite or Eurodam?

Never encountered that before.

It certainly wasn't 'big deal' or problem but it puzzled me.

Was encountering problems last week?

Thanks.

It was quick error message in the center of the page. No explanation and could not even view 'stickies' to see if there was an explantation there.

REALLY sorry for the ridiculous number of typos in my first post but ACER is in my lap, wiggling around and I'm not used to this smaller keyboard. It feels so different from my other laptops. But it's great to travel with.

I could not get HAL CC Board to display.

Sail, there were some periods during the last week when CC was having some (relatively) minor connection problems. I got to the HAL forum all right, and usually could connect to the threads, but sometimes it seemed to take forever, or I would get an error message. Hitting "refresh" completed the connection.

This did not happen often, though, and did not happen for lengthy periods. I rather doubt that it was at those exact moments that you were trying to access. Once or twice, maybe. But every time? No.

It must have been something else wrong that kept you from connection.

My guess, and that is all that it is:

Your browser "timed out"

It tried to make the connection to the page you requested and after trying for awhile it reported an error . namely that it could not go to the page requested.

Cruisecritic has this problem on occasion. Partly, perhaps, to through-put problems (more likely than normal when on-board due to slow sat.-based link) but mostly to their database software it seems.

The same thing happened to me while aboard the Eurodam in September. At that time, I recalled someone had mentioned this problem quite some time ago, but couldn't remember how, or if, the problem was resolved.

FWIW, I had pretty good connection speeds and rarely timed out on anything. The "error" screen popped up immediately after attempting to go to a board, User CP, or anything else database-related. I don't recall seeing an error # or anything like that.

I don't think it was a 'timing out' situation. We had the fastest connections we've ever had on an HAL ship. We used the Acer in Neptune and we sometimes used ship's computers and we were very happy with the speed in comparison to what we've experienced other times on other ships.

I think Ruth probably is closest as to what was going on. I didn't try that many times to connect to CC /HAL boards so it could have coincidentally at times when the board was experiencing some difficulty.

Thanks .....

Archived