Any GEM Secrets to Pass Along

johnnyd

When you first get on the ship... RUN, don't walk, to the spa to get your weeklong spa pass for $99 ($178/couple). Worth every penny on the Gem!

what does a spa pass include?

can this be purchases ahead of time?

Edited by serene56

The thermal suite pass basically gets you access to the spa whenever it is open.

Thallasotherapy pool, private hottub, sauna, steam room, heated lounge chairs. I think the best part of the whole thing is being able to lay in a lounge chair looking forward out of the ship

Basically just a very comfortable and QUIET place to relax, read, and unwind especially after a long day ashore.

Sounds great. What is a thallastherapy pool? Can you swim in it?

wanted to get this thread going again since i'm sailing on jan 11th out of NYC

i was wondering if there is a spa pass for this 10 day cruise if anyone knows?

and is there basketball on the gem for the guys with us...?

thanks

happy sails

Hi,

Yeap, basketball court on deck 14 aft I believe. It does "time sharing" with the tennis court, so I don't know exactly when it changes from one to the other but it is there.

Have a safe trip.

Hi; sailing on the GEM in March and was wondering if you had any secrets and/or tips about the ship you would like to share; stuff like the best place to be when the ship sets sail, favorite bar, etc. Thanks!!:)

The fitness center is great, but it fills up on sea days (go early).

Magenta is great for breakfast, get the Eggs Benedict.

Don't take the drinks they offer on boarding, they are not free.

what does a spa pass include?

can this be purchases ahead of time?

I was on the 11/27/10 sailing of the Gem out of NYC. You can't get the Spa pass before sailing but, at least for my cruise, they had set up a table at the pier where you could sign up for the Spa while waiting to board. It was $99 per person. Note that for my cruise there was no couple's discount. Because of what I saw here on Cruise Critic I specifically asked and they said they are not offering that discount now.

Spa is children free zone. It includes a therapy pool (not for swimming), hot tub, lounge chairs, steam rooms, great view out the front of the ship. They have these heated stone lounge chairs that are wonderful. But you have to have patience to get one. I'd definitely recommend the Spa if you have a cold weather departure from NYC. I really enjoyed it on the sea days.

Does the Gem have formal nights>?

They had "dress up or not" nights.

My husband and I had a free dinner at Le Bistro with our romance package and I believe we went either the first or second night and nobody was there except for us and another couple which was nice because we got extra service. Le Bistro was my favorite specialty restaraunts of all. THe only one we did not try was Cagneys and Tampinyaki.

The buffet is alright but it was just about the same food every day.

If you do all of the organized activities and get a card and have the crew members sign them - and fill up the card the last day you can turn in your card and i think you recieved a NCL keychain for free...we didn't find that out until the second to last day and was too late. Not that we really needed a key chain. A lot of the actities were Trivia. I think it is the ones on the FreeStyle Daily that say SOA.

If you goto the Bali Hai Bar look for Gede. He was our favorite Cocktail waiter. He always took care of us and made sure our glass was always full and would find us a seat in spinnaker and by the bar.. One day we were sitting by the pool eating and he saw us and went and got us water even though we didn't ask and it was free too so he got nothing out of it!

When they give you a time to be somewhere to get a tick (Such as to get off of the boat) make sure you are there an hour and 1/2 early because everyone else will be there and hour early and start forming lines all over the place.

That is all I can think of ...

good to know about the spa and basketball

I was wondering which ports on the cruise do you get to walk off of and which have tenders if anyone knows..

st.thomas,antigua,st.maartens,san juan,tortola

thanks again

For NCL, all of the ports you mentioned are "walk off", no tenders. But. if there is a large number of ships on port or if there is no space left at the dock, your ship might have to tender. But, most likely you will walk off the ship.

Edited by cruisecruiserAS

good to know about the spa and basketball

I was wondering which ports on the cruise do you get to walk off of and which have tenders if anyone knows..

st.thomas,antigua,st.maartens,san juan,tortola

thanks again

none of these ports require a tender they are all walk offs. Some walk are longer then others though.

Great thread. Sailing for 1st time on NCL in March. Will be writing lots of notes. Any comments on kids club for 6 yr olds??

I don't have kids so I'm not real familiar with the kids club, but there were a lot of kids on my sailing and all seemed to be happy and having a great time. One day I saw some kids with their faces painted and another time they had a parade through the ship with the kids singing. There is a kids pool and bowling($5 a game). Some of the shows are kid friendly like the musicals and such.

For NCL, all of the ports you mentioned are "walk off", no tenders. But. if there is a large number of ships on port or if there is no space left at the dock, your ship might have to tender. But, most likely you will walk off the ship.

thank you what a relief that is it should save us tons of time..thanks alot

Just off the Gem, we had the delayed departure, with a very rocky ride down and freezing cold in Florida! Such are the chances you take in December....I'm going to give some food recommendations. If you do have a bumpy ride, eat in Magenta rather than the Grand Pacific. More centered in the ship and much smoother ride. We made reservations for dinner all nights (and ate in Le Bistro and Tequila too) so we didn't ever wait, but I did find out from a fellow cruiser if you get to the MDR and there is a wait they give you a beeper and a two for one drink ticket. Not a bad deal. The buffet has some nice choices, the melon was horrible, but great pineapple. Never saw grapes or a berry. Cold fruit soups in both the buffet and MDR were super. Probably it's been mentioned but their bakery onboard is quite good, try the banana bread, pretzel rolls, chocolate croissants (breakfast). Sometimes when the buffet closes they keep the Great Outdoors (rear section of the buffet outside) open so check your newsletter and watch for that, and there is often a sign at the entrance of the buffet. Be prepared to have your hands sprayed with "washy washy" at every turn! The Great Outdoors stays very quiet, most people never find it, they have most of the breakfast spread and an omelette station out there, never waited at it while they were lined up in the front of the buffet. There is also a soft serve ice cream maker outside there in addition to the one inside the buffet, no one ever sees it. You have to stay in the buffet to get the hard scooped flavors, though. Tea and coffee stations all around, everyone pushes at the first one they see. Just walk back a bit. At breakfast and lunch in the buffet go to the rear stair area and cross to the port side to La Cucina, you can bring your food in there and sit, always a place. Another find--the Great Outdoors area serves "tea" from 2:30-5:30 and day three we discovered the BEST scones with cream and preserves. Check them out. Also good on the ship foodwise: smoked salmon (lox), baby lamb chops (in both Le Bistro and MDR), the best lobster tails I ever had on a ship in the MDR, the lobster tacos in the tex-mex were fabulous but beware, a lot of stuff in the restaurant VERY spicy, but I got the tacos without the peppers in them and they were mild and wonderful.

Any questions--ask and I may have answers....;)

Thanks to all the hinters. We're pretty devoted RCI BUT trying out the Gem as a shot at NCL.

We were very devoted to HAL when we tried NCL for the first time when they started sailing year round out of New York (no more flying for us). We have never looked back and are now NCL Platinum. We will be returning to the Gem in June and the Jewel in October. Nobody rewards repeat cruisers the way NCL does.

Just off the Gem, we had the delayed departure, with a very rocky ride down and freezing cold in Florida! Such are the chances you take in December....I'm going to give some food recommendations. If you do have a bumpy ride, eat in Magenta rather than the Grand Pacific. More centered in the ship and much smoother ride. We made reservations for dinner all nights (and ate in Le Bistro and Tequila too) so we didn't ever wait, but I did find out from a fellow cruiser if you get to the MDR and there is a wait they give you a beeper and a two for one drink ticket. Not a bad deal. The buffet has some nice choices, the melon was horrible, but great pineapple. Never saw grapes or a berry. Cold fruit soups in both the buffet and MDR were super. Probably it's been mentioned but their bakery onboard is quite good, try the banana bread, pretzel rolls, chocolate croissants (breakfast). Sometimes when the buffet closes they keep the Great Outdoors (rear section of the buffet outside) open so check your newsletter and watch for that, and there is often a sign at the entrance of the buffet. Be prepared to have your hands sprayed with "washy washy" at every turn! The Great Outdoors stays very quiet, most people never find it, they have most of the breakfast spread and an omelette station out there, never waited at it while they were lined up in the front of the buffet. There is also a soft serve ice cream maker outside there in addition to the one inside the buffet, no one ever sees it. You have to stay in the buffet to get the hard scooped flavors, though. Tea and coffee stations all around, everyone pushes at the first one they see. Just walk back a bit. At breakfast and lunch in the buffet go to the rear stair area and cross to the port side to La Cucina, you can bring your food in there and sit, always a place. Another find--the Great Outdoors area serves "tea" from 2:30-5:30 and day three we discovered the BEST scones with cream and preserves. Check them out. Also good on the ship foodwise: smoked salmon (lox), baby lamb chops (in both Le Bistro and MDR), the best lobster tails I ever had on a ship in the MDR, the lobster tacos in the tex-mex were fabulous but beware, a lot of stuff in the restaurant VERY spicy, but I got the tacos without the peppers in them and they were mild and wonderful.

Any questions--ask and I may have answers....;)

this was great info thanks alot

where do you reserve for the mdr?

oh does anyone know where i can find a gem menu?

Edited by giddy2travel

My husband and I are first time cruisers, so I am thrilled to get all this information. It is so helpful!:)

Sailed on the Gem in the past and I'm booked on it Jan 22 2011. Best palce to sit and hang daytime is the Great outdoors. Night time is Bliss. Sailaway I like Deck 13 midships. You can watch the Sail away by the pool and still move around. NY skyline is on the Port (left) side on the way out, Enpire State building, Ground Zero and lower Manhattan. Starboord side is NJ, Weehawkin, Hoboken, Jersey City and the world's largest single faced clock, the Colgate Clock , Ellis Island and the Statue of liberty. Breakfast in the restaurants is fresh and hot and they will bring you all you want. The buffet is up to the crowd you are sailing with. Sometimes you sail with humans and other times you sail with people that are stocking up for there last meal and need that last pancake that you were just about to take when they swoop in from behind.

Survey the situation. if you feel like a burger and they are cooking fresh ones at the buffet wait for one, they will cook it for you if you like it a certain way just ask. Let the vultures eat the ones that are already out. I just sailed on the Jewel and the crew there was great. Be friendly with the staff. It pays off in the long run. Don't treat them like the help.

Mike

Didn't eat breakfast in Blue Lagoon. Went there for lunch one day, it was terrible, and never went back. Did see menu one morning, very limited, I think you're better off going to the back of the buffet (Great Outdoors) for a quick and good omelette.

As for MDR reservations, we called them every morning (most phones have a button right to it or dial 050) and made our reservation for that evening, based on that day's newsletter and what we had planned for the day.