Handicap parking at Miami

las313

This is an update on how to park at the Port for free if you have a handicap tag from any state.

We just came in on the new Epic this morning and parked at the garage across the street from the ship. Here is how it works. You can park any where in the garage and hang your tag.

When leaving the port, there are girls waiting at the exit area. You hand them your tag and the picture license of the person who holds the tag. They need to match. That person doesn't need to be in the car. He or she can wait with the luggage to be picked up. ( We did not know this and pulled our luggage up in the elevator to the car so I could be with hubby). We asked as we left the gate how to pick up if the person can't walk. They said the person did not need to be in the car.

They filled out a form that we handed to the gate with the parking tag. There was no charge. It is normally $20 a day.

We wondered if this would work at Ft Lauderdale or Port Canaveral. It saved us $140.

Louise in FLA

Can you give me one good reason why handicapped people should get free parking!! You should get convenient parking that makes it easier to cope with your disability but not free parking.

You have enough money to take the cruise. You have jobs. You have enough money to pay for your automobile. But you then claim that society owes you free parking.

Did you ever wonder why some able bodied people get really annoyed at some handicapped people?

DON

Can you give me one good reason why handicapped people should get free parking!! You should get convenient parking that makes it easier to cope with your disability but not free parking.

You have enough money to take the cruise. You have jobs. You have enough money to pay for your automobile. But you then claim that society owes you free parking.

Did you ever wonder why some able bodied people get really annoyed at some handicapped people?

DON

Methinks you missed your logic class in college.

A certain person is handicapped

Some place offers free parking for handicapped persons

Somehow from those two facts, you deduce that the handicapped person asked for said free parking.

there seems to be a fault in that chain of, dare I use the word, reasoning.

Methinks you missed your logic class in college.

A certain person is handicapped

Some place offers free parking for handicapped persons

Somehow from those two facts, you deduce that the handicapped person asked for said free parking.

there seems to be a fault in that chain of, dare I use the word, reasoning.

Why do you think that free parking is offered - because some handicapped group lobbied for free parking. Do you really think that someone in the parking authority sat down at his desk and said to himself - "I think that we need to reduce our income and give away some free parking spots so lets give handicapped people free parking". What really happened is that some handicapped group went to the parking authority and said that they were owed free parking because they were handicapped.

Before I get totally flamed, please note that I also said that there should be sufficient convenient handicapped accessible parking spots. I can easily walk. Some people can not manage it. It is just that they should pay the same rates that I do.

DON

Disabled and accessible parking is no charge at all publicly-owned street parking, parking lots and garages in Miami and Miami Beach. Disabled individuals often have fewer transportation options than others. I am not disabled and I think it's a good program.

Disabled and accessible parking is no charge at all publicly-owned street parking, parking lots and garages in Miami and Miami Beach. Disabled individuals often have fewer transportation options than others. I am not disabled and I think it's a good program.

There is a difference between free or reduced costs for disabled people on public transportation (which I totally agree with) and free parking for disabled people who own cars or free parking for disabled people who have enough money to go on cruises. What will they want next - reduced rates on car insurance?

If they can afford the car or the cruise, they can also afford ancillary costs.

DON

Ha, ha, ha.

Sounds like you're jealous that someone's getting something free and you're not.

And it's a handicapped person you're jealous of. Wow.:(

Are you jealous of seniors who get breaks off cruiseline fare?

Are you jealous of union members who get breaks off cruiseline fare?

Are you jealous of people who live in certain states who get residency fares?

How about those who live in Florida (or close to the port) and don't have to pay airfare? (and they get to park for free too, if they're handicapped?)

How about people in suites or frequent cruisers who get to board/debark before you?

That's just the way it is. :D

Doesn't bother me at all.

Archived