Need help with dining questions, please.

Shippy

We have sailed on most every cruiseline before except Azamara. When booking I always request early dining, large table. We always just travel by ourselves but enjoy the company of others at mealtime. We have met fabulously interesting people on cruises.

Anyway, I know these ships have anytime dining which is fine but can you really get a chance to dine with others? We were on a Norwegian cruise after they started that policy & eventhough they told us to just mention our preference when we entered the dining room, they still sat us by ourselves most of the time.

Has anyone had this experience on Azamara?

Also, we our looking at a balcony room on the Journey. The picture looks like a tight squeeze from the door to the table. Any problems getting a morning coffee tray getting delivered?

On the description of the room amenities it says 2 specialty restaurant reservations guaranteed. I called & they said that is was reservation only, you still pay. I thought I had read on these boards that you got 2 complemenatry dinners at the specialty restaurants?

thanks for any info you can help with :O)

When you arrive at the dining room each night, the Maitre D will ask you do you wish to dine on your own or join a larger table. They then make up larger tables of 6-8 based on recent arrivals. On Azamara, even if you join as a two, you are so close to your neighbours anyway that you easily converse with those on either side of you, We tended to take this latter approach so we were at a table for two but had different couples around us each night

There is plenty room for your coffee tray each morning!

As regards the speciality venues, the rules changed this year, so if you are a new booking, it will be at a $15 per person surcharge unless you are in a suite, where it will be at no charge. It is a lovely experience and I would say yes, book two when you get on board, one in Prime C and one in Aqualina

We're the same - we actually like the "old style" cruising, and like to eat early. We did eat with other people many of the times, and also ate by ourselves (usually determined by whether we were in a hurry to get out). It was nice - never had a problem doing either. We had coffee delivered, goes out on the balcony fine. I think you'll enjoy all the options.

Too small for any serious meals. A snack on the balcony is the only thing that I've been comfortable doing. I did get a hamburger and fries one day for a quick luinch on my balcony. It was tight. You'll have more space outside on the rear buffet deck.....and you can get room service anywhere on the ship. If you like the pool, get a delivery. A meal in the cabin would be very tight. The cabins are nice, but not for dining. Get out and go to the dining venues. I would only eat in my cabin if I were sick or disabled.

Like it was mentioned before, whenever you arrive for dinner, you have the choice of eating at a large table or by yourselves. But the nice thing about Azamara is that you are not stuck to a particular time. If you want to eat 5 pm one day, 830pm the next, no problem. There are plently of opportunities to meet people on board. We found that during our cruise in Oct 2009, most everyone we encountered were friendly and willing to strike up a conversation.

Too small for any serious meals. A snack on the balcony is the only thing that I've been comfortable doing. I did get a hamburger and fries one day for a quick luinch on my balcony. It was tight. You'll have more space outside on the rear buffet deck.....and you can get room service anywhere on the ship. If you like the pool, get a delivery. A meal in the cabin would be very tight. The cabins are nice, but not for dining. Get out and go to the dining venues. I would only eat in my cabin if I were sick or disabled.

thanks for the replies...... I just usually get coffee (maybe a pastry ) delivered in the morning to get the day started. Never have ordered a full meal.

My main concern was the main dining room as my husband & I travel alone but enjoy dining with others. The open dining time combined with a small ship had me concerned.

We also found as the ship is small, we met people on excursions or at events and made arrangements to dine with them later on in the cruise which was nice. The small ship actually makes it easier to meet more people

There is a nice breakfast menu available for room service. We travelled with a group--some had balcony cabins and others inside cabins. All of us enjoyed eating breakfast in our robes/pajamas. The staff is very adept at setting up the breakfast in any of the cabins. The egg white omelette was delicious--asparagus, cheese, diced tomatoes, and a sprinkling of fresh thyme!

Welcome to the wonderful Journey.

You will have enough room on the balcony for your continental breakfast. I've had even more and had no problem.

One of the beauties of dinner in the main dining room is having your choice of tables. There are some rounds and ovals, in addition to rectangles and squares, and you will be seated according to your preference. On the sides the tables are indeed close enough to carry on conversations with those close to you. We certainly did.

Amenities change constantly and you may have two dinners in the specialty restaurants included in your booking arrangement. I believe I saw several ads offering them as an enticement to book. Just recheck this with your agent and have a written copy sent to you just in case.

I hope you enjoy the Journey as much as we did.

You don't get 2 complimentary special restaurant meals, simply the guarentee of 2 bookings at $15 each. Having said that, in my opionion, it is well worth the $15. You can book when checking in or at any time during the cruise.

We asked for others to share our table but found that most people wanted to dine on their own and declined the invitation. Perhaps we look unsavoury!

Archived