A pictorial and musings: Solstice 10/24/2010 W. Caribbean

mimito4

I wasn't on the Solstice but I was on the Equinox in February and your review had me smiling ear to ear.

Thanks so much for the time you put into it.

I looooved seeing the pictures.

Thanks again, made me enjoy my morning coffee even more today with all those wonderful pictures to gaze at.

Safe Travels.

Chass

Will be going to Coz and Roatan on Equinox in march. Chankanaab looks much nicer (and less crowded) than I expected -- do you think it will be OK with a lot of ships in port?

We couldn't believe how quiet the park was, and we set up right by the most common area to go in snorkeling. Of course, the park is quite large. We were in port with 2 Carnival ships, the Legend and the Imagination. I think it would be safe to assume that it might be more crowded with more ships.

Based on our experience, regardless, I would still go on my own rather than take a ship excursion (that's where all the ship excursions go for the dolphin swim). Much more freedom to snorkel, swim, and come and go as you wish.

Here is a picture of where you just walk in to snorkel.

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010052.jpg

Absolutely love the review and pictures. You said you really enjoyed the aft cabin. We have an aft on 11/7 cruise on deck nine. What deck was your on? I loved the toe nail polish and glass of wine....my kind of cruiser!!

We were in stateroom 1676, which was on floor 11. Loved it! Absolutely zero complaints. Even liked the fact that it was a bit of a walk to the elevators/steps--exercise was needed and welcomed!

Again, thanks for all your kind and flattering comments. Btw, I do want to share photo credit with my friend Dar. These are a mixture of both our pictures.

And finally, so as not to be all talk and no pictures, here's another photo of our captain and officers. Great "guns" wouldn't you say?

Darcardthrough10-31-2010366.jpg

Hi T,

You did an amazing job posting pics of the 10/24 sailing. Although we have only been back 3 days from that cruise, it seems longer. Your pictures made it all so real again. I found myself smiling. Now I need to do something with my pictures and get them out of my camera. :)

I agree with you, the cruise was a blast. We had the best time and loved the Solstice! We also loved our aft cabin on deck 9. The crew and staff were amazing. The ship was spotless and the service impeccable.

Great to meet you at the post sail away party. Thanks again for posting this review. I loved how you recognized some of the staff members.

BTW: How do I find your photos on photo bucket?

T,

This is my first Celebrity board post, but for a good reason--to thank T.

This pictoral review of your Solstice cruise was the best review (words & pix)

I have seen on CC in six years.

Teresa thanks for taking the time and sharing.

Will reciprocate with words only (but on the Regent thread) for our Voyager grand crossing--we sail from Barcelona on Monday.

Thank you so much for your wonderful pictures and review. I was on the Solstice Aug 1st sailing. All I have to say is....how did I miss that water polo game?? AGGHH!!! I'll be on the Eclipse in February so I will look for it there.

As a fellow Cincinnatian, thank you! We were on the eastern itinerary for Solstice, but will be on the western on Eclipse in March. Thanks so much! Your pictures are so fun!

We are on the same cruise as Illinisue in March and I have to say I also thoroughly enjoyed your report and your beautiful photos. It has made me even more excited - if that is possible

Tammy

Again, thanks for the many nice compliments. And bon voyage to all of you who have upcoming cruises!! Enjoy every single second, and don't sweat the small stuff. Consider yourselves very very lucky to be able to do such things.

Cruising in a week with my two BFFs from high school in CINCINNATI.

Graeters rocks!

Sara

Yes indeed, me thinks Graeter's could easily even outdo the gelato on board. However do be careful. . .as you know, Graeter's is extremely hazardous to your swimsuit health ;).

All I have to say is....how did I miss that water polo game?? AGGHH!!! I'll be on the Eclipse in February so I will look for it there.

Haha, I too wondered if we were being treated special or if this was a weekly event. It certainly didn't happen on my Solstice cruise back in March. Fingers crossed for you. Certainly gave us old broads a little thrill. :p

T,

This is my first Celebrity board post, but for a good reason--to thank T.

This pictoral review of your Solstice cruise was the best review (words & pix)

I have seen on CC in six years.

Will reciprocate with words only (but on the Regent thread) for our Voyager grand crossing--we sail from Barcelona on Monday.

Wow, Colonel, I'm touched that you would come "over here" to give me such a nice compliment. Bon Voyage to you and Ida--have a safe and wonderful adventure!

I know there's been much discussion about passenger demographics (particularly that age thing) and I must admit that this fall cruise did seem to have more of us oldsters and was a little more sedate (just a little), as evidenced by these pictures of the Martini Bar from my 2010 spring break Solstice cruise. . .Like most things in life, it all has to do with timing, no?

SolsticecruiseMomJen2010079.jpg

PS My name is Teresa, but friends call me T. My grandchildren call me Mimi (I have 4, hence the mimito4), so if you're over 10, you have permission to call me T or Teresa. ;)

T -

Thanks so much for posting pictures and giving the details of your cruise! I'm going on my first Celebrity cruise in February on the Equinox and your posts really brought it to life for me.

I've been in Cozumel several other times on other cruises but have never been to the Chankanaab Park. After seeing your pictures, I think we will go there for snorkeling. I've heard about the park several times, but just seeing a photo and hearing about your experience shows me what I can expect.

I agree with a previous commenter that your posts are the best I've seen on this board. I wish more people would post photos of their cruise experiences... and I'll try to do the same when I return.

Barbara

T - YOU ROCK! In all the time I've been off and on these boards this is THE best review I've read/seen! Fantastic! Loving it. And have to say I'd never believe Dar was 60! Impressive. Looks like above all you guys had an AMAZING time. Congrats :)

The evening up photo up on the lawn - do people bring their own blankets?

The evening up photo up on the lawn - do people bring their own blankets?

I have to assume they did. . .or they used Celebrity towels. I personally wouldn't bother packing a blanket. . .I'd just use a towel.

When were the formal nights on your cruise? We are sailing the Eclipse in Jan and want to make our reservations for Specialty Dining.

Solstice cruises Sunday to Sunday, so our first formal night was the first sea day, which was Monday. The second was Friday, which was after we left Roatan. I thought this was good because it left Saturday as a very casual sea day, and of course, since it was the last day, people were busy packing and it wouldn't have worked to make that a formal night.

I wouldn't hesitate to go to one of the specialty restaurants on formal night. IMHO, the food in the MDR was not like the days of old on formal nights (when you got real, delicious lobster tails). The second formal night was lobster, but just average. . .nothing special.

Quite frankly, I thought the MDR's food was just OK--not bad--not great. . .but perhaps I'm a food snob. In spite of that, I didn't mind. . .kept me from overeating, which in a way, I find to be a good thing.

I did love the escargot. But how could you mess that up? Butter. . .garlic. Ummm. I found the left side of the menu--the traditional, always available items to be more consistent.

• 3 months later...

T, if you still check this thread (it's a few months old) what a terrific recap of your cruise. We're on the Eclipse for April 2nd and I was poking around looking for info as we decide on "aft" or "side" for the cabin. I love your comment about "forget the soot and ya da ya da....". Also, very much enjoyed the pictures of the people you met. Isn't that half the fun? You did a great job and I hope we meet people who seem as fun as you.

Cheers,

Shane and Janet

Archived