A pictorial and musings: Solstice 10/24/2010 W. Caribbean

mimito4

First off, here's why I'm now in love with aft staterooms. Forget anything you've read or heard about soot, too much sun, yada, yada. Get an aft cabin. Period. It will make your cruise even more enjoyable if that's possible. We were in #1676.

Darcardthrough10-31-2010175.jpg

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010006.jpg

This was my second cruise on the Solstice, and so I couldn't wait to show off the contemporary beauty of the ship to my best friend. She is a gorgeous ship, and unique in many ways. For example, how often can you sit on a lawn, sipping a glass of wine while enjoying a classical music performance. . .in the middle of the ocean?

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010034.jpg

I'm getting ahead of myself. Backing up a bit to say that one of the very best things about cruising for me is meeting interesting and nice people, and that includes both passengers and crew members. This is true for me regardless of the cruise line I'm on. Even though I've cruised many different lines, I do have to say though that both Crystal and Celebrity passengers seem to be "my kind of people." I will be doing a SeaDream Yacht Club and Regent in the next year, so I'll be interested to see how that goes.

Boarding was a breeze, and we headed right to the Aqua Spa Cafe where we requested their delicious poached salmon. It is to die for. In fact, all the food there is fresh, healthy and delicious. I had breakfast there every morning, and lunch 3 or so times. I couldn't believe the number of people I spoke with who thought there was a surcharge to dine in the Aqua Spa Cafe. Shhhh, perhaps I should keep it quiet so it remains uncrowded.

We met up with some lovely fellow Cruise Critic passengers at the Sunset Bar for a post sail away drink. And just in case we we weren't sure about what was in store for us, Mother Nature presented this for us. . .

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010001.jpg

I did not go to the Cruise Critic Connections Party, so someone else will hopefully jump in and tell about that. This is one area where I feel that Celebrity really drops the ball. They have it at a very undesirable time in my opinion - first sea day at around 10 a.m. For comparison, Crystal throws the CC party during traditional cocktail hour and they supply an open bar and pass beautiful hors d'oeuvres. Granted Crystal is a luxury line and more costly than Celebrity, but still, I think Celebrity is missing an opportunity to wow the passengers who are active on the internet. . .duh, free advertising for the cost of a drink or two. For that matter, alcohol is very cheap for the cruise lines to acquire, so throw together a rum punch to offer if an open bar is perceived to be too "rich" for Celebrity. Oh well, just my opinion.

The Cruise Director staff and entertainers rocked the boat with the 60s party in the atrium area. People loved it and were hanging all around and dancing.

Darcardthrough10-31-2010189.jpg

The Andy Warhol look was awesome. Major kudos to the entertainers!

Darcardthrough10-31-2010194.jpg

Stay tuned. . .more to come. . .including pictures of our hott captain and crew members playing volleyball in the pool. . .I like to think of it as Celebrity's wet t-shirt contest.

Well, I just learned something. CC only allows 6 images per posting (even though I'm hosting the pictures at Photobucket).

Where was I? Oh yes, rocking the boat. The staff continued to entertain us silly. Halloween Eve found the ship totally decked out, with the I-Tones and the darling girl singer and band (sorry, forget their name) entertaining us.

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010110.jpg

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010112.jpg

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010113.jpg

Darcardthrough10-31-2010177.jpg

Darcardthrough10-31-2010192.jpg

The Martini Bar was the happening place, as most of you have gathered from the many mentions on CC. I believe the reason it is so popular is as much due to the real estate it occupies as the drinks.

Also, it seems like this is a good time to talk about drink packages. I didn't get one only because I limited my drinks due to some health issues. If it weren't for that, I would have absolutely gotten the premium package. If you are a drinker, for less than $400, you make your cruise basically all-inclusive. Duh. If you're not a drinker, get one of the other packages, and again, you've created a luxury all-inclusive vacation for yourself. Stop figuring out if you break even. Everyone I spoke with who had the packages said do it, do it, do it.

Darcardthrough10-31-2010178.jpg

That is me, waiting for my fabulous 20th Anniversary martini. Make sure and try it. . .it's fabulous.

Darcardthrough10-31-2010179.jpg

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010100.jpg

with new buddies, Kurt and Jacob

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010065.jpg

My traveling buddy and best friend Dar with our new friends, Marc, Trevor, Martin, Trevor, Mike and Bob.

I should note here, that I'm only posting pictures of those who granted me permission. Well, that is, other than unknown people in "scenery" pictures.

We loved our dinner partners, Canadians, Ron and Nancy. Such very nice and interesting people.

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010038.jpg

We chose late seating and a large table, but we were the only 4 who ever showed up and that was fine by us. We hit it off great, and laughed ourselves silly.

And did I mention how much we loved our head waiter, the Honduran Roy and his assistant, the lovely Peruvian Johanna? And I'm sorry to say that I can't recall our sommelier's name, but she was the absolute best. She was our sommelier in March in Blu and her charm has not diminished one bit.

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010096.jpg

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010099.jpg

Darcardthrough10-31-2010384.jpg

Speaking of crew, I also must acknowledge a true "backroom" support staff person, the wonderful Jamaican washroom attendant (the one on 3rd floor by the MDR). Again, I'm angry at myself for not remembering her name, but hopefully someone from Celebrity will see this and tell her. She worked very hard and was always attentive to the passengers and their needs.

Darcardthrough10-31-2010390.jpg

And since I'm entitled to 6 pictures per entry, here is another new friend's picture.

Darcardthrough10-31-2010387.jpg

Charming Robbie and his Dad

Sea days were great.

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010012.jpg

Not too shabby for a 60 year old, eh? What a way to celebrate your 60th, Dar!

We had a great time at all the ports, although I will have to admit that I chose to have a "personal sea day" while in Costa Maya rather than do anything.

We did Stingray City in Cayman (great experience). We didn't do the ship excursion. Rather, we booked our own. It was a catamaran ride and included 2 snorkel stops in addition to the stingray experience. Lovely.

Totally loved Chankanaab Park in Cozumel. We just shared a cab with Marc and Bob (maybe $10?) and then my friend Dar did the Dolphin Swim. Because there were only 3 of them and not a crowded formal excursion they got to spend much more interaction time with the dolphins. She's still talking about it--says it was a joyful experience over all.

As for me, thanks to Marc and Bob, and the lovely waters of Cozumel, I overcame my fear of snorkeling and had incredible fun! The beauty of Chankannaab is that you can easily snorkel from shore. Also, the park is lovely with clean facilities, drinks and food. It was not at all crowded and I think we paid only $17 admission. I highly recommend it. Here are a few pictures.

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010053.jpg

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010058.jpg

Darcardthrough10-31-2010206-Copy.jpg

see all the fish?

Darcardthrough10-31-2010214.jpg

Marc

Darcardthrough10-31-2010197.jpg

Marc & Bob

I'm so glad I was able to get to Roatan. It is really a beautiful area. Poor, but rich in natural beauty. Again, we did not do a ship excursion. Instead we grabbed a cab and went to West Bay area and bought a day pass for $10 each to the Mayan Princess. That entitled us to all of the resort's facilities. Again, we snorkeled right from shore.

I got an hour massage for only $30 (you should negotiate because she started at $50 for 1/2 hour, assuming I was born yesterday apparently), and I chose the hotel's employee rather than the many "massage hawkers" on the beach. For one thing, you get to lie on a bed rather than the sand.

Sadly, because the area is so poor, there are many children on the beaches trying to sell trinkets and such. If you don't want to be bothered, you have to say no firmly. I did take a few pictures and paid them a "modeling fee." Here are a few pictures of the resort and Roatan.

Darcardthrough10-31-2010279.jpg

Darcardthrough10-31-2010304.jpg

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010083.jpg

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010081.jpg

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010078.jpg

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010075.jpg

And finally, mostly for the ladies (and a few guys I know) here are some pictures from Celebrity's version of the wet t-shirt contest--teehee. Seriously, I think it's great that the captain and the officers join in on the fun and entertain the guests in such a way. I think it speaks to Celebrity's customer focus.

Darcardthrough10-31-2010362.jpg

the Solstice Captain doing a head butt--is this a combination volleyball and soccer game?

Darcardthrough10-31-2010361.jpg

Darcardthrough10-31-2010360.jpg

Darcardthrough10-31-2010368.jpg

Darcardthrough10-31-2010369.jpg

And that's it. . .at least for now. Any questions, I'd be glad to answer.

Mimi:

Thnks so much for your travelogue/pictoral... it was so exciting to see this thru your eyes... Now I truly can't wait!

We're sailing Nov 7/Western Caribbean as well...

Question:

My DW is seriously considering a Dolphin swim (I myself could care less) and I'm interested in what you said about Chankanaab Park... I understand it's $17 admission but how much do you suppose Dar spent on the Dolphin Swim itself? It's kind of something I'd like to do for her as a surprise and I'm curious about expense...

Thanks Very Much

Andrew, Dar bought the middle priced package. I believe it was a little over $100 and it included admission to the park. She got to swim with the Dolphins (the belly swim?), the toe push, and she got to interact with the manatees. Again, I think she was very lucky because there were only 3 of them in the group and the guide let them do things more than once.

The usual admission is $19, but here is a link for $2 off coupon. Print and take with you.

http://www.cozumelparks.com/index_ofertas.html

You're going to have a blast!

Oh gosh, don't encourage me. People are going to start running when they see me with a camera.

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010021.jpg

loved this storefront in one of the shops.

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010047.jpg

Talk about lounging. . .life is tough in the Sky Observation Lounge

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010049.jpg

Silly, enthusiastic Bob in Cozumel

Darcardthrough10-31-2010231.jpg

Dancing in the Sky Observation Lounge

Darcardthrough10-31-2010236.jpg

the GORGEOUS honeymooning couple who did the dolphin experience with Dar. They are from Chihuahua, Mexico. I loved them immediately because my little Bubba is also a chihuahua ;-)

Darcardthrough10-31-2010273.jpg

a quick breakfast on the veranda before our adventure in Roatan

Hello;

Thank you for the great review. Can you please elaborate on the trip to the Mayan Princess? how did you get the tickets? I am going with my kids 8 and 3 and that looks like a great way to spend the day.

Thanks for all your kind remarks. Feedback is the reward for going to the trouble to post reviews and pictures, so again, many thanks.

Hello;

Thank you for the great review. Can you please elaborate on the trip to the Mayan Princess? how did you get the tickets? I am going with my kids 8 and 3 and that looks like a great way to spend the day.

The Mayan Princess sells a maximum of 100 day passes each day for $10 each (don't know about children rates--hopefully they're free). They don't take advance reservations so I would suggest you plan on arriving in the morning. We left the ship at about 9:45 a.m. and caught a cab outside the port on the street. There were 4 of us and I believe the cab was $20 each way total ($5 each). We agreed that he would return to get us at a pre-determined time, and then we would pay him for the round trip at that time.

When we arrived at the hotel and got on the beach it was not that busy, but it did get progressively busier as the day went on. This is why I would suggest you arrive in the morning.

West Bay area has many hotels along the beach and even if you're not a guest, the beach is public, so if you don't buy a day pass, you can still plop down on the beach or go to their restaurants, etc. You couldn't use their pool or beach chairs, umbrellas, etc. however. I think the $10 was well worth it to have those amenities. You can also snorkel right from the beach (to the far left of the Mayan Princess where the reef is).

And hey, remember, I'm entitled to 6 images per post, so as not to waste that privilege. . .

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010059.jpg

Dar competing with the beauty of the Solstice

CelebritySolsticeCruise10-2010105.jpg

Robbie and family (discovered they're from Cincinnati also, and even more weird to discover that Kathy is a teacher in the same district as my daughter. My daughter just called me today to tell me that Kathy came into her room to introduce herself. Small world indeed).

Darcardthrough10-31-2010249.jpg

The gorgeous Solarium

Darcardthrough10-31-2010265.jpg

Our ever-smiling Roy

Darcardthrough10-31-2010330.jpg

Darcardthrough10-31-2010353.jpg

The crowd gathered for the officers' water volleyball contest

Man oh man, Mimi!

What a fabulous post!

I'm so glad I "egged you on" to post more pics!

And I am so excited now I think I'm gonna bust!

Geez Louise, how am I gonna work these next three days???

At work, we call it being on PVT (that's pre-vacation time!);)

Thanks Again!

Archived