Milan to Cinque Terre

gaylenhazel

We have to 2 days in Milan post cruise. We would like to see the Cinque Terre villages. I am torn between going with a tour company or trying it on our own. I am terrified of getting ourselves lost or on the wrong train if we went on our own. Anyone have advice on Milan to Cinque Terre?

I'm not sure if you realize it, but the Cinque Terre is about 150 miles from Milan.

By train, the best case will require more than three and a half hours each way, and at least one train change along the way.

Given that you've said you are "terrified" at the prospect, I would either scrap the idea of going to the Cinque Terre, or find a tour operator who will drive you there. Note, however, that it's still at least three hours each way by car, which is a lot of travel for a day trip.

We agree with Euro (that is normal). IF you want to visit Cinque Terre, Milan would not be the place to stay. Keep in mind that to really enjoy Cinque Terre you need most of a full day (2 days is even better) which you would not get with the long travel time to and from Milan. If ending a cruise in a place like Civitavecchia we would probably recommend renting a car, driving to Riomaggiore and spending the night at a cute inn, and then continuing on to Milan the following day. But if you already are committed to 2 nights in Milan then you would be better off spending your time in the Milan area.

Hank

Thank you Hank & Euro cruiser. We are ending our cruise in Venice. I have a hotel for one night in Venice. The plan was then to take the train to Florence for 3 nights and on to Milan for 2 nights. Our flights are done. Leaving from Milan.

No, I didn't realize it was a 3 hour trip from Milan to Cinque Terre. I saw a tour leaving from Milan for the Cinque Terre. That explains why it is a 12 hour tour. I need to re-think our plans. Maybe we should spend only 2 nights in Florence and take the train to Cinque Terre for at least one night. From there to Milan. My husband really wants to go to CT.

I am struggling with plans and I thank you so much for any advice you give me. Our trip is May 2011.

If it helps at all, we only spent 1 might in Milan and it was plenty. That would allow you time to spend 3 nights in Florence, which you need, and still see CT. I would suggest making advance reservations for The Last Supper--but there is not a lot else to see or do in Milan as compared to Rome, Naples, Florence, Venice, etc.

I generally avoid moving around so much, but based on what you want to see, 3-1-1 might make more sense for you. Three nights in Florence, followed by one in Cinque Terre (I was just there last week, it was absolutely beautiful) and one in Milan prior to departure.

I hope you won't have much luggage, because dragging it on and off trains and to and from hotels will get very old, very fast.

If you do want to consider at night at Cinque Terre you might want to do some research and find a small inn (or B and B) in Riomaggiore. This town (the southern most of the 5 villages) is absolutely charming and is accessible by train (via La Spezia) or car.

Hank

I had booked 3 nights in Florence. You have me thinking.... I should spend 2 nights in Florence, take the train to La Spezia to spend one night. We could take a late train to Milan to fly home. I like your idea! I am going to look for B & B's. Now, have any of you stayed in one you recommend?

We have to stay in Milan the last 2 nights. My DH booked and paid for the hotel on priceline last week. He did it before I could object. Darn him.

How do they do your luggage on the train? We keep it with us?

Thanks guys. You are a tremendous help.

Luggage on European trains can be a problem. You should operate on the assumption that you will need to move your own luggage through the train stations and carry all your luggage onto the train. On the regional trains, when we have large luggage, we will sometimes store it at the end of the car, but this means you must sit nearby, always keep the luggage in your sight, and make sure nobody tries to steal your stuff as you come into stations. If your train is not too full you can sometimes just put it on a nearby seat. On the faster (and more modern) high speed trains like the Eurostar it is theoretically possible to check luggage but we prefer to keep our stuff in full view.

Hank

Since you have those 2 nights in Milan already, I would suggest you could rent a car one day and drive up to Lake Como and Bellagio and possibly Lugano. I've done the drive down from St. Moritz to Milan in a day, going through those places. It's beautiful scenery!!! And, maybe you'll get lucky and find George Clooney's villa :cool:

Archived