Suggestions for those invaluable things to pack ?

Groliv

Ok fellow cruisers ! I have picked up a few tips here & there on these posts regarding things to pack that one might not always think of, but are oh-so-good to have !! I'm going to be in an inside cabin, so I thought the tip of a digital clock or pocket light was a good tip.:)

Anything else we should ensure we bring ?

(other than the obvious stuff, and my permitted bottle of wine, of course !!) ;)

OTC medicine for headaches, upset stomach.

First Aid Kit - bandaches, first aid cream.

Highlight to highlight things you do not want to forget in the ship's newsletter (whatever its called)

Extra money for tips for room service, porters, tour guides.

lady cruiser's tips are good. I also take along OTC meds for a cold & cough, just in case. Also, you can buy a little temporary (tooth) filling kit at Wal-Mart. I carried that thing along on about 10 cruises and considered taking it out before this last cruise. Wouldn't you know it? That was the cruise when I broke a tooth and the filling came out! I was so glad I still had that little kit with me! It might have "saved the cruise" for me. One more suggestion is regarding your cash. Take quite a few small bills with you.... $1's and $5's, as well as $20's. They come in handy for tipping, but also when shopping, sometimes the stores say they don't have change for bigger bills.

call me a germaphobe but we always bring hand sanitizer. We carry it with us and use it often such as before dinner after handling the menu's, pushing elevator buttons, shaking hands with someone, before eating after gathering food from buffett. (HAND Washing is Most Important )

Clorox wipes.

Zip ties

If a light sleeper earplugs, or if light bothers you a sleep mask. ( no need to worry about the mask in an inside room. )

Contact information cards you can hand out if you want to stay in touch with people you meet.

A positive attitude you are on a cruise- your vacation is what you make of it.

A silver cleaning cloth!!

I have a 'Cape Cod Bracelet' that I wear all the time..it is solid silver.. I can wear it on the beach on the Cape, and although it will get dull, its still wearable.

Not so in the Carribbean..it turned an ugly ugly tarnished grey on our first day out..

so, if you have an silver you like to wear all the time, you might be wishing for one of those cloths!

Also beach footwear..not flip flops..the type of footwear you can climb over sharp/protruding rocks on....

passport, water shoes, my own snorkel equipment, my meds, i always travel with a battery operated candle, creates ambiance, and I can put it in the bathroom, so when I get up at night, there is a light on and I don't have to disturb hubby. A book to read when I need down time, and a battery operated fan. I don't carry that much "stuff", a few bands to tie back my hair, a hair clip. suntan lotion and aloe for sunburn. LLBean has a wonderful travel bag that carries all your bath supplies, it's about the size of a purse when folded up, but you can hang it over a door knob, and save all the space that on over the door shoe holder takes up.:)

my tip - but you may have already been told - bring a light change of clothes, swimsuit and sunscreen in your carry on bag- you may not see your luggage for a while, and those items are a must when leaving the port - you will want them! Carry them on!

My packing tips:

Dress shoes that match everything you are packing.

Decongestant (I always get a little stuff when going far from home)

Sun block/screen

Aloe gel, or a really good body lotion if you get a little too much sun

extra sunglasses (I always end up crushing, steping on or some how losing my sunglasses)

Sun hat

Facial cleansing cloths rather than anther kind of cleanser (faster and I can use these several times a day with out drying my skin out.)

Allergy medicine (clariton, benedryl etc) and cortizon cream...both DH and I have had allergic reactions to different things on cruises. I think mine was to the laundry soap they used on Disney and DH had a reaction to something he ate. I broke out in a rash and needed to get some cortizon cream from the infirmary. Luckily, we started bringing the allergy medicines after that, since on the next cruise DH's Uvella (sp??) started swelling (2nd time this has ever happened to him, the first time we ended up in the emergency room). He took benedryl right away and, thankfully, it went back down. Neither of us normally have any allergic reactions to anything.

For me absolutely cannot do w/o ear plugs with a string attached to them in case they fall out. Alarm clock, light sweater (our room we couldn't control the temp). night light as I get soo disoriented in the middle of the night and want to find the bathroom. power strip for the night light. santizer wipes, (hubbie's job to wipe everything down.) Good attitude as things do go wrong. Hubbie needs antidiarrhea, I need softener. LOL. plastic bags to put left over food in (specialy restaurant when waiter is not looking.) Postage stamps to send postcard of ship to love one. hope this helps.

If you're flying and are printing off your luggage tags you should take a small stapler. I made the mistake of putting them on before our flight and the ticket agent for the airline had to remove them before checking the bag.

Zip-lock bags are great for packing up gifts or other things you want to take back home with you. I scrapbook so I bring the daily newspapers and things to decorate the pages.

And I know someone already mentioned it but ANTI-DIARRHEAL pills save my life! Every single time I go to the Caribbean and eat the local foods I start to have issues on the way home :eek: This never happens on trips to Europe or within the States.

I've learned a lot from this blog.

OTC medicines are necessary. Tums, allergy stuff, tylenol, motrin, etc. You can get motion sickness stuff from the infirmary as well as bandaids.

Air freshner for bath is a good idea! We bought a spray but the solid may work better.

Zip lock bags are a must. Keeps things organized in the luggage/great for a wet bathing suit.

A bungy cord is awsome for the balcony door!

I bring a small zip lock bag that has safety pins, cork screw, deck of cards, post it notes, pens and a pencil. Haven't used a highlighter yet.

Koozies for keeping drinks cold outside the cabin.

Reusable water bottles/insulated bags for roaming the ship with libations.:D

Archived