Kusadasi - Tours other than Ephesus

Hi everyone - I just love the advice and information that is available here on CC.

I am therefore hoping that someone (or lots of people) can give advice on other tours and places of interest from the port of Kusadasi. We are in port from 7am Monday until 10pm on Tuesday. We visited Kusadasi for one day just this last May and enjoyed an excellent tour to Ephesus, Basilica of St. John, Temple of Artemis, Virgin Mary's House, etc.

Other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

With that much time, I'd definitely look into a visit to Pamukkale and Hierapolis, which is a wonderful combination of the scenic (Pamukkale) and the historic (Hierapolis): http://www.sacred-destinations.com/turkey/hierapolis-pamukkale

The "cotton candy" terraces of Pamukkale are amazing to see. If you can stay overnight, most of the hotels have hot thermal baths.

Hierapolis has a very atmospheric necropolis (ancient cemetery), Roman ruins (baths, a theatre), a small museum, and even a pool where you can swim amidst fallen Roman columns.

Another possibility would be a day trip to Aphrodisias. This ruined city named for Aphrodite was once a center for sculpture that was sought after throughout the Roman empire.

It has been much restored in recent years: http://www.sacred-destinations.com/turkey/aphrodisias

Both of the two excursions listed above I highly recommend because you CANNOT do them on a normal, one-day visit to Kusadasi. You are lucky to have an overnight.

Finally, there are three ruins nearer to Kusadasi that CAN be done in a day and that are frequently combined into one tour: Priene, Miletus, and Didyma. Priene is an ancient Greek city high in the hills. It's very picturesque, although the walk to access it is on the steep side if anyone has mobility issues. It's one of the few significant ruins of a city that was never "Romanized". Miletus has a wonderful theatre. Didyma is the site of a very famous Temple of Apollo; what remains is huge and has some extremely fine columns with carvings.

http://www.turkishmuse.com/2010/06/day-trip-priene-miletus-and-didyma.html

Thank you Cynthia for your very prompt and comprehensive reply. All of your suggestions look interesting.

Some time ago I received an email with photographs of Pamukkale and it looks amazing. I would love to see it. However, one tour company that I contacted in the last few days advised that their advertised day tour to Pamukkale from Kusadasi does not operate after the end of October. Perhaps going overnight will be the only way to do it at this time of the year. I will look further into that idea.

Having said that, another lady from our roll call is arranging a day tour to Priene, Miletus and Didyma - perhaps that's an easy option.

Decisions, decisions !!! Thank you once again. You have given me much food for thought.

On one of our trips to Kusadasi (been there 4 times) we faced a similar situation. Our solution was to hire a taxi for 5 hours and drive to Priene, Miletus and Didyma (also stopped at a few other ruins in that region) which was a lot of fun. No tour groups, no hassles, but just the two of us and our friendly taxi driver. This was a few years ago, but I recall we negotiated a price of about $120 for that little excursion.

Hank

I just returned, last week in October. I used Seasong, based on Conde Nast

We had a great time with our guide Ergin. He had an off beat sense of humor like mine. He went against the crowds, we saw everything, and had the best lunch at a local place overlooking the sea. We had 5 private tours, and he and Kusadasi was the best. Plus he had all the information, was knowledgable, many years of guiding.

• 1 month later...
Thank you Cynthia for your very prompt and comprehensive reply. All of your suggestions look interesting.

Some time ago I received an email with photographs of Pamukkale and it looks amazing. I would love to see it. However, one tour company that I contacted in the last few days advised that their advertised day tour to Pamukkale from Kusadasi does not operate after the end of October. Perhaps going overnight will be the only way to do it at this time of the year. I will look further into that idea.

Having said that, another lady from our roll call is arranging a day tour to Priene, Miletus and Didyma - perhaps that's an easy option.

Decisions, decisions !!! Thank you once again. You have given me much food for thought.

Did you go on the tour to Prine, Miletus and Didyma? We are on the Celebrity Constellation in November, 2011 and having been to Epehesus before would like to try seeing these spots. If you could let me know what tour guide or how you booked, I would really appreciate it.

Mary

Hi Highlandcruiser

Yes, we did go to Priene, Miletus & Didyma in late November. We joined a tour which was organised by another from our roll call. However, she did experience some problems with her booking that I think should be mentioned here. Apparently she had been corresponding by email for several weeks with a company called "One National Travel".

She thought it was all "sorted" but, when she went to make final confirmation of numbers - only about 10 days before the tour date - she was informed that they were no longer going to take her tour.

She contacted "Hello Ephesus" who stepped in at that stage and provided an excellent tour. There were 8 of us in a minibus with a guide and we had a great day.

If you google Hello Ephesus you will find the contact for this company. The principal appears to be lady called Nilay Parlak. Sorry I can't remember the name of our guide this time, but our guide for Ephesus in May with the same company was Bulent (Bill) Orkus and he was excellent.

Did you go on the tour to Prine, Miletus and Didyma? We are on the Celebrity Constellation in November, 2011 and having been to Epehesus before would like to try seeing these spots. If you could let me know what tour guide or how you booked, I would really appreciate it.

Mary

I booked this tour through Ekol, and really enjoyed it. I've used them twice for tours and they are always very easy to work with.

Further comment re Kusadasi in November - re shopping in the bazaar.

I realise that this is "off topic" but some might find it of interest.

We were in Kusadasi on 22nd & 23rd November and apparently one of the last ships for the "season". Many of the shops were closing for their usual break and even more interested than usual in bargaining. I particularly find the shops in the Kusadasi bazaar great for polo shirts (men & womens), handbags and pashminas. When I was there in May, the best one could do for a polo shirt was 20 euros. In late November I bought several for 8 euros each (You will note from my CC"handle" that I'm a golfer).

I guess they are "knock offs" but the quality is fine - I have laundered them several times. Handbags and pashminas were also good buys. Oh, to have more space available in the luggage !!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Highlandcruiser

Yes, we did go to Priene, Miletus & Didyma in late November. We joined a tour which was organised by another from our roll call. However, she did experience some problems with her booking that I think should be mentioned here. Apparently she had been corresponding by email for several weeks with a company called "One National Travel".

She thought it was all "sorted" but, when she went to make final confirmation of numbers - only about 10 days before the tour date - she was informed that they were no longer going to take her tour.

She contacted "Hello Ephesus" who stepped in at that stage and provided an excellent tour. There were 8 of us in a minibus with a guide and we had a great day.

If you google Hello Ephesus you will find the contact for this company. The principal appears to be lady called Nilay Parlak. Sorry I can't remember the name of our guide this time, but our guide for Ephesus in May with the same company was Bulent (Bill) Orkus and he was excellent.

Was your tour guide, Bill, a gentleman with a shaved head who fed all the local stray cats? We used Hello Ephesus last year and the tour guide was also named Bill and he was fabulous! I wanted to request him again.

Thanks!

We had Eylem Kurnaz as our guide last year with Hello Ephesus. A Turkish Christian who does tours of Turkey based on the travels of St. Paul, he also works with Tauck Travel. Anyway, we had such a wonderful day & saw Sirince Village, Terrace Houses, St. Mark's Basilica, plus the best lunch outdoors next to a great carpet factory that helps young women start careers & provides the tools they need, as well as purchasing their rugs (& paying them in a separate account so their family can't take it)- the top ones never pressure you, they just explain what they do. Eylem can be reached at apollooracle at hotmail. I like to promote good experiences. This was our only private tour during our 24 day cruise, and was the best!:)

Was your tour guide, Bill, a gentleman with a shaved head who fed all the local stray cats? We used Hello Ephesus last year and the tour guide was also named Bill and he was fabulous! I wanted to request him again.

Yes. That sounds like a good description of Bill Orkus. We did have him as our guide on the Ephesus tour which we did in May last year. However, the guide for the Priene, etc tour in November was a younger man and I do not remember his name. He was also very good, but Bill Orkus is absolutely excellent.

Archived