Soymilk?

bepsf

So I typically order a nice decaf-capuccino in the MDR at the end of every dinner...

...and occassionally will get a bowl of cereal on my roomservice tray - but I've recently learned that my cholesterol is ridiculously high and have found that soymilk not only has zero cholesterol, but it's rather tasty too.

Has anyone here ordered soymilk aboard ship?

I use soy milk, Brian, and most cruises I have been able to get it from Room Service with breakfast cereal. I have also seen it in Lido from time to time.

Thank you, Sail.. My daughter is a vegan, and we had no idea soy was available on HAL. This made her very happy!

Brian... I have always been able to get Soy Milk in the dining room with no problem. The Lido does not always have it but I have asked for it and one of the "captains" there has always gone down to get some for me. Once they get used to you asking for it, there is usually some up there and you have only to tell one of the servers where it is stored and he/she will get it for you.

By the way, I have coronary artery disease and HAL has been wonderful about modifying foods for my diet. Have your waiter speak to his dining room captain and they will take care of you. We often go to see the dining room manager shortly after we board just to make sure of how to handle the special diet for that cruise. Once they know I have a special diet, the dining captain brings me the next day's menus and I can modify dishes -- such as leaving out the cheese or cream -- and the next day/evening I am given my dish the way I ordered it.

Pat:)

So I typically order a nice decaf-capuccino in the MDR at the end of every dinner...

...and occassionally will get a bowl of cereal on my roomservice tray - but I've recently learned that my cholesterol is ridiculously high and have found that soymilk not only has zero cholesterol, but it's rather tasty too.

Has anyone here ordered soymilk aboard ship?

I was on the Eurodam in May and was able to get soy milk in the Lido for my coffee. Sometimes it took a minute or two for them to track it down in one of their refridgerators. It seemed the best place to ask was the counter area where they poured and served the juice. In any case I was able to get soy milk every morning. I don't remember if I had any in the dining room as I only use it for coffee and I prefer to eat breakfast in the Lido. When we cruised to Alaska I bought the single serve vanilla soy milk that Walmart sells in 6 pack cartons and brought them with me aboard the cruise ship. The cartons do not require refridgeration and may also be found in some of the grocery stores in our area but not all stores carry them here (Charlotte, NC). I agree that the soy milk is tasty (soy slender vanilla especially which is also the lowest in calories and is also packaged in cartons that don't require refridgeration). Now that I use soy milk if I have to have coffee with milk or cream it is not tasty at all.

diane

Thanks All - It's good to know that Soy is available in the various dining venues.

Pat - It's good that you've also found that the folks in the MDR take good care of your dietary needs - They have done similar for my Celiac/Wheat intolerance and the allergies of my other friends.

Diane - Isn't it interesting how our tastes change in favor of the things that are better for us as we learn that certain other things aren't as good for us anymore?

BTW - Have you tried Silk Chocolate soymilk? It has a rich flavor and I've found it to be really quite delicious!

(I'd bet even Ruth C would like it) ;)

BTW - Have you tried Silk Chocolate soymilk? It has a rich flavor and I've found it to be really quite delicious!

(I'd bet even Ruth C would like it) ;)

She does. Older grandgirl shared some of hers, and RuthC thought it delicious. Sort of like a Fudgecicle.

When we discovered the "suite" life, I only had to mention soy milk once and it was available all the time. While I don't have celiac's, I do have food allergies. I've been wary to ask to have things modified for me so I often have the chicken, plain baked potato, and steamed veggies. Maybe I'll try picking out my dinners the night before. Someone said that they carry gluten-free breads. Even if you don't prearrange things, they may still be available.

Someone said that they carry gluten-free breads. Even if you don't prearrange things, they may still be available.

That may have been me.

I have yet to arrange such things prior to embarcation, but even on our 15-day Hawaii cruise they had sufficient stores of GF breads & English Muffins for my enjoyment.

BTW - I just picked up the most delicious GF bagels from Whole Foods this past weekend!

I'll have to remember to request them before my next cruise ;)

I have to go with no dairy at all and margarine has some dairy in it. Bummer! If we were in India, I'd be ok with ghee since the milk solids are removed. Just not as tasty as "Earth Balance" spread.

I'm spoiled with the chocolate soy milk though. We have a superautomatic espresso machine at the house so no need for Starbucks for me! I'm just waiting until my husband retires and then I can have my own personal barista. :D

Now if I could just find the non-dairy "fake butter" I'll be all set! ;)

FYI - Smart Balance "Light" is non-dairy. My 4-yr. old GD can not have any dairy - we have to always have an epi-pen available she is so sensitive - and she tolerates this "fake butter" just fine.

Archived