We Booked for Dec 12th

notasilverspoooner

We are booked for 12/12 and are now looking for decent air. We were thinking of the 12/14 trip but that one would cost me extra vacation days. We will fly in a day early like we normally do for cruises. Our options are to fly roundrip to San Juan and then take a flight the next morning to St Thomas or fly directly to St Thomas. We will need a decent hotel either way.

We are open to any suggestions from the SD experts. Also, any tips on how to get the most of the trip and the stops are appreciated. We've been on HAL and RCL but never anything like SD. Our closes experience service wise has been some Sandals Resorts where they really spoil you 24/7.

We are looking for inexpensive ways to see the ports also and don't have to do anything too fancy. It is nice to explore and take pictures, do a hike, sit on the beach, or etc. Let the good tips and ideas flow :).

Congratulations!

If you thought Sandals pampered you 24/7 just wait until you step foot on SD:D Many moons ago we stayed at Sandals in St. Lucia and can honestly say that, IMHO, SD is HEADS above that experience.

There are many more options in SJU than on STT in terms of hotels. When we sail in and out of STT we usually stay at the Marriott Morningstar (which is right next door to the Marriott Frenchman's Reef). It is relatively convenient to both Havensight and Crown Bay (not sure where SD will be docked). In August we had a wonderful stay at the Ritz but it is a bit further out than the Marriott.

We usually stay at the Caribe Hilton (on Hilton Honors) points when sailing in and out of SJU.

What islands are on your itinerary?

Here is the itinerary for the 12/12 departure:

Date Ports of Call Arrive Depart

12-DEC-2010, Sunday St. Thomas (Charlotte Amalie), USVI (Embarkation) 2:00 PM 7:00 PM

13-DEC-2010, Monday Esperanza, Vieques Morning Late evening

14-DEC-2010, Tuesday Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI Morning Evening

15-DEC-2010, Wednesday St. Barthelemy, FWI Morning Late evening

16-DEC-2010, Thursday Norman Island, British Virgin Islands Morning Overnight

17-DEC-2010, Friday Virgin Gorda, BVI Morning Overnight

18-DEC-2010, Saturday Jost van Dyke, BVI Morning Evening

19-DEC-2010, Sunday San Juan, Puerto Rico (Debarkation) 8:00 AM 9:15 AM

We almost booked the 12/14 departure:

14-DEC-2010, Tuesday St. Thomas (Charlotte Amalie), USVI (Embarkation) 2:00 PM 7:00 PM

15-DEC-2010, Wednesday Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI Morning Late evening

16-DEC-2010, Thursday St. Barthelemy, FWI Morning Overnight

17-DEC-2010, Friday St. Barthelemy, FWI Evening

18-DEC-2010, Saturday Norman Island, British Virgin Islands Morning Overnight

19-DEC-2010, Sunday Virgin Gorda, BVI Morning Overnight

20-DEC-2010, Monday Jost van Dyke, BVI Morning Evening

21-DEC-2010, Tuesday San Juan, Puerto Rico (Debarkation) 8:00 AM 9:15 AM

Hopefully we booked a good interary, we chose the 12/12 one to save on vacation days.

Looks like you've got a great itinerary!! Hopefully, you will be able to do the "bio bay" in Vieques and the Baths in Virgin Gorda. Recommend both! Have not been to Norman (but think we go in January); St. Barts is always fun (and expensive) and the splash will be at Jost. Lots of good places -- and you can walk the town on your own or ask the concierge or AD for suggestions on beaches, etc!

Hotels -- we've stayed at Frenchman's Reef in St. Thomas, but did a cute B&B called the Crystal Palace last time. It overlooks Charlotte Amalie and has a wonderful veranda from which you can watch all the harbor activities. Plus it's a short walk down to the shopping. Rates are good, too.

In SJ, we've done Embassy Suites and Doubletree (Hilton points, you know) and the Marriott years ago. Am thinking we would do the Caribe Hilton next time we overnight. I know others like the Sheraton (right across from the dock); El Convento and the Ritz Carlton.

We'll be coming in to SJ in January and will fly home that day. I'm always nervous about a morning flight even though they (customs, that is) throws you off the ship pretty early. Last time we stored the bags at the Sheraton and took the trolley around old town. We leave around 1:30 this time, so not sure yet what we'll do before we go to the airport -- maybe just hang out at the Sheraton bar :D

Suspect it's just as easy to do STT-SJU rather than rt SJU and then fly to STT. We've done the STT-SJU before and it really wasn't any more expensive and much more convenient (besides, like several others on this board, I would rather be shot than ever fly out of STT if I can avoid it).

Have fun!

Vandrefalk

Vandrefalk has given you some excellent suggestions and information!

I agree that you have a great itinerary. Lots of time in the US and British Virgin Islands, which are some of our favorite cruising grounds and islands!

There isn't much on Norman except a nice beach and the requisite beach bar. I know FT did a hike when they were on Norman last year and saw some beautiful butterflies.

Well I better get back to packing as well as preparing for my parents arrival as they are teen sitting and dog sitting while DJ's DH and I bring SD2 back to the Caribbean for the season.

Vandrefalk, Disney Jen, and others:

We appreciate all the good advice. We will look at the nice BB for St Thomas. We do have plenty of HH points if we stay in San Juan. The Bio thing really isn't for us but the baths are. I'm sure we will find some neat things to do. Sea Dream just got off the phone with me. Evidently my credit card did not work and I need to call my bank since the transaction takes place in Norway.

Does anyone know about how much a taxi from the St Thomas airport to the hotel area near the dock is? I'm guessing about $75 but am not sure. I know we were there awhile back and it was insane with all the ships in.

Vandrefalk, Disney Jen, and others:

We appreciate all the good advice. We will look at the nice BB for St Thomas. We do have plenty of HH points if we stay in San Juan. The Bio thing really isn't for us but the baths are. I'm sure we will find some neat things to do. Sea Dream just got off the phone with me. Evidently my credit card did not work and I need to call my bank since the transaction takes place in Norway.

Does anyone know about how much a taxi from the St Thomas airport to the hotel area near the dock is? I'm guessing about $75 but am not sure. I know we were there awhile back and it was insane with all the ships in.

The cab will be closer to $15 instead of $75. All cab fares in STT are fixed. Go on line and Google Virgin islands Now and you can find things like cab rates, etc.

Here is a link to my blog with some SD reports including some fo yoru stops:

http://dreamingonthesea.blogspot.com/

Here is my web site with a review of DJ's vow renewal cruise. Lots of port information:

http://www.pvavalides.com/cruises/SDII_march2009/SDII%20March%202009.html

There are three ships due in STT on Saturday the 11th and 3 on Sunday the 12th including SD. You will be at Crown Bay. Be advised that there will not be much of anything open at crown Bay so make sure you do all your shopping before you go to the ship.

Have a great trip. I wish we were with you but the kids and I will be on one of the mass market lines that week. FT doesn't get to go since she is leaving in the morning for Lisbon and the crossing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've heard a lot of people stay on the yacht during many of the stops. Do most people get off to attend the C&C and bbq? If not, is lunch available for those who don't get off? We plan on attending as it sounds like fun. I just wish they did it earlier in the cruise as it might be bitter sweet having it on the last day.

I've heard a lot of people stay on the yacht during many of the stops. Do most people get off to attend the C&C and bbq? If not, is lunch available for those who don't get off? We plan on attending as it sounds like fun. I just wish they did it earlier in the cruise as it might be bitter sweet having it on the last day.

Count DJ's DH and me among those who don't leave the yacht except for the Champagne and Caviar Splash! This event is one of the highlights of the trip for us! I don't know of anyone who doesn't attend it.

Not sure if they serve lunch on board as everyone (cooks, wait staff, etc) is at the Splash.

We have suggested several times on our comment cards that the Splash be earlier in the cruise. I'm not sure why it is on the last day but it is certainly something we never miss!

Count DJ's DH and me among those who don't leave the yacht except for the Champagne and Caviar Splash! This event is one of the highlights of the trip for us! I don't know of anyone who doesn't attend it.

Not sure if they serve lunch on board as everyone (cooks, wait staff, etc) is at the Splash.

We have suggested several times on our comment cards that the Splash be earlier in the cruise. I'm not sure why it is on the last day but it is certainly something we never miss!

We have come back aboard early on Splash day and had meals delivered to the pool deck.:D

I initially wondered this too, but because it is held on the last day I've come to see the Splash as SD's big finale "send off" that gives SD the opportunity to really show its appreciation to all its guests. The fireworks display after the parade, kind of thing. :D

It may well be the most impressive and memorable part of the cruise (if you can even separate it from all the other wonderful things that SD offers) because it leaves you with the feeling: "Could it ever get any better than this?!"

Aside from the overall experience on board, I've always felt that this last day, where they pull out all the stops, is one of the reasons they have so many repeat passengers.

The crew may give you better service since you travel so often with them. It may take some for a new travel to get that level of service (things not on the menu delivered by the pool).

The main thing to remember is, if you want something, ask for it. Bet you get it.:D

Thanks for the advice! We should not need much but will politely ask if we need anything.

just ask . . room service menu is limited I've been told due to owner's choice based on size & set up of cabin. No such limitations on deck. I've seen people order cheeseburgers all the time pool side and no they weren't "frequent" guests. You won't be able to distinguish between 1st timers and repeat guests based on the level of service. Just have fun.

FT

I agree with the comments about not being able to tell the difference in service between newbies and repeats. I think the problem is that newbies don't KNOW that they can ask for things and after you've been on a few times you have started to learn what you can ask for.

Also, we like to explore, but most of the time we come back for lunch. You'll be surprised how GOOD yacht food is. They have a great buffet every day but the lunch menu specials are quite often to die for and change daily. We normally check the menu near the concierge desk daily to see what's going to be available and then make our decision The mussels, normally on the menu on the first full day if they can get them, are fabulous There is a lasagne that's heavenly and always great soups. We like to eat on shore in St Barts but normally we come back in the Caribbean.

You will have a great trip! Look forward to hearing what you thought about your 1st SD cruise!

Archived