When Does RCI "load" Mystery Dinner?

I am trying to book the mystery dinner on VOTS 1/2/11 cruise. We are 58 days from sailing, but can't book it online. Called the web site support people and the very nice young lady said that they haven't "loaded" it yet. She said she had no idea when.

Does anyone here have any information as to how many days before sailing RCI generally "loads" the ability to reserve the mystery dinners or do I just have to check every day?

• 2 weeks later...

It's a 3 or so hour special event held once per cruise. On the Voyager, we started the meal by going up to the 14th floor where we were welcome with champagne and appetizers. The characters of the play started wandering in and the performance began. I think we had 30 - 45 up there before we headed down to Portofino for the rest of the dinner. The full menu wasn't offered, but there were choices for each course. Wine was served with the dinner. The actors came back again for more of the story. Then again so each table could interview each character to get an idea of who the murderer was. We had been given a pad and a pencil so we could write down "clues" and then finally everyone voted their choice. There were several drawings for prizes among those that guessed correctly. The cost was about $50pp and it was a fun evening.

We also did one on a Voyager cruise a couple of years ago. We had done a weekend bed and breakfast mystery dinner and enjoyed it, so we decided to go for it. We enjoyed the weekend one tremendously!

My take is they have too many participate. The dining service is tough the way it is set up. Food is not nearly as good as going in for the regular speciality service hours. Of course, the mystery dinner is set up to be a melodrama and that was fun. The Royal Caribbean singers and dancers portrayed the characters. We considered it our sea day excursion that day. :) For the price, we could have gone two times to the specialty restaurant.

Am I glad we did it. Yes. Just wouldn't probably do it again unless we were with friends cruising who wanted to do it.

Hi Janet,

i personally,don't even know what a 'mystery dinner' is.. lol..

Can you explain please?

It is a whodunit dinner show at Portofino's where you, along with everyone else in attendance, try to solve a murder. It usually costs $98 pp and while it was nice and we enjoyed, we would not book it again.

Now the Wine Dinner Series :p that's something completely different. We already pre-booked for that one for our February sailing.

Archived