Pre Cruise Hotel Bundles

Has anyone ever booked the two day before cruise hotel stay through RC? What are the advantages to booking through them and not a hotel you find yourself? The options aren't available for my cruise yet - how far in advance do they usually put them out?

Thanks so much!

We used to book the RCCL pre-cruise packages, but found that they were at least double the cost of booking hotel and transportation on our own. We didn't feel that the convenience of using the RCCL package was worth the price. If you're concerned about selecting a hotel in an unfamiliar city, check tripadvisor.com for hotel reviews. I've found the information on tripadvisor.com very useful and accurate.

Have done the pre-cruise in Barcelona, Spain with my parents (mid 60's).

They weren't comfortable with me booking separate hotels/private driver to port or separate airfare. Plus, November is a iffy month for flying out of east coast -weather. I figured we spent $400 extra on flight, $150 extra (one night hotel), & $75 extra transportation to/fro. This is a total of approx $500-$600 more per couple. But when you are traveling with elders this is the price you pay- ease/security & not getting left behind. Also, language can be a barrier.

London-Harwich (Baltic Cruise) I used FF Miles & timeshare points for Royal Garden Hotel. The 2 hour ride to port was shared by someone (family of 3) on my rollcall. We hired a private driver. Saved $2200 airline ticket, $400 plus a night hotel 2x nights, less than $100 transportation per couple. Total cost savings approx $3k.

Moral of the story, find out your comfort level and if you are willing to do the extra research. Honestly, its a case by case, time of year, distance of the port to airport & your hotel. When traveling overseas you will stay a minimum of one night prior to your cruise.

We have done it both ways and there are a lot of apples and oranges out there when people start telling you how much you can save. On South American cruises we could not beat RCI's air and hotel prices including the transfers. The Harwich transfer, hotel and air, we saved a couple of hundred, but we had to find a share for the transfer, otherwise we would have about broken even. In Barcelona we saved money and it's about as easy as it gets. Very simple, easy taxi transfers. Have not done Valencia. Just make sure that you include everything into your cost analysis. One poster stated that they found other cruisers on the Roll Call board to share transfer cost, a great suggestion.

Thank you for your responses, finding a hotel and transport doesn't worry me, I just figured there may be some added convenience I was missing. But being young and adventurous I think we will be ok :)

Thanks so much for the feedback

You will be fine booking on your own. Save the mony for another cruise.

AHHH to be young again :p. At least I can say I am young at heart.

Archived