Looking for comments about different length cruises

artbcpa

We are trying to decide which cruise to go on. We would love to hear some comments from people who have been on more than one cruise and the advantages of cruising longer 11-14 days versus shorter cruise 7-10 days and doing a couple of days on our own.

Art,

If it's your first trip to French Polynesia, the 7-day Societies trip is really spectacular. You spend very little time sailing from place to place, and almost all your time anchored in some beautiful lagoon and thus in water and land-based activities. But I always suggest combining this with a pre-cruise or post-cruise stay. I like pre-cruise because it allows you to recover from jetlag in a tropical paradise and thoroughly acclimatizes you to the rythmn of the islands. Even a 2-night stay on Tahiti, if that's all you can manage. If you can manage a longer stay, like 3-4 nights, look at Moorea--it's very close to Tahiti and lovely, and a bit cheaper than Bora Bora without a long plane flight.

Lots of folks will recommend the 10 and 11 day trips. I have not done these, but I'm sure they are great. if I had to choose between a 7-day with a pre-cruise stay, or a 10-11 day cruise with no pre-cruise, I would choose the former. Of course, if you have a longer time to spend, go for it.

I have done the 14-night Marquesas trip and this was spectacular and I enjoyed every minute. This is good if you like sea time. The Marquesas are very remote and magical. But I did this on my 4th trip, so I had gotten a good grasp of the Societies by that time.

Thank you Wendy for your prompt reply. I have done lots of cruising including those with lots of sea days. I recently took a 17 day repositioning cruise on Crystal from LA to Sydney; so sea days are just as precious to me as port days. One of the things were wondering about is the value of the Cook Islands (11-day) versus Marquesas (14-day cruise). The other would be your thoughts on taking the 7-day cruise with 3 days in Moorea (overwater bungalow) versus longer cruise with only 1 night in an overwater bungalow.

This is our first time on PG like you. We did a lot of research both here and with friends who have stayed on the islands. We opted for the 10 day with a pre-trip to a B&B on Moorea for 3 days and a 1 day post trip at a B&B on Tahiti. The pricing at hotels with the food is really much higher than the cruise ship. The B&B in Moorea is cheaper for 3 nights than 1 night at the Hilton so we figure if we don't like it, we forfit the 3 night pay but can move to a hotel. We also figured we didn't need over the water bungalows since we will be over the water for 10 days. :) This gives us time to acclimate both before the cruise and 1 day to sleep on a non-rocking ship before the long flight home. We are going on the March 16 cruise. Good luck. Isn't planning a trip fun?

We have done two 7 nighters, one 11 nighter, one 14nighter to the Marquesa islands and one 15 nighter to Fiji.

The problem with the 7 nighter is its too short but is a lovely intro to FP.

If you like lovely unspoiled and unpeopled scenery the Marquesas are majestic.

I loved the Cooks en route to Fiji especially Aitutaki - the lagoon there was spectacular but without the majesty of either the Marquesas or Bora Bora.

OUr 11 nighter took us to Rangiroa a must for a diver as the aquarium there is special. We only went on a glass bottom boat as I cannot swim and it was still good. Scenery wise its not special.

Next year we are going on the June 29th cruise and I like the itinerary as its has 2.5 days in Bora Bora , 2 days in Moorea plus visits to Rangiroa, Fakarava and Huahine.

Miriam

Thank you all for your comments.

Mtn Driver, since you have made five trips to French Polynesia, I was wondering if you had any thoughts regarding the Cook Island and Marquesas. At the moment we seem to be leaning to the 10-day cruise which only includes the Society Islands and Tuamotus.

Archived