egg crates on beds

gingera

I have no idea if mine was hard or not, I couldn't get passed the crater and something hard poking me in my back or my rump if I sat down and this had an eggcrate on it. The steward finally turned it over and it was better but still had the crater but at least the pokey thing was at a place that didn't poke me.

We are trying Holland America in May for the first time.

Just got off the Emerald hours ago. We fly home tomorrow a.m.

We purchased a 2.5 Memory Foam from BJs (just like Costco) before we left on 10.29 while staying at the Hampton Inn off Stirling. BJs is most definitely walking distance and we bought the 2.5 inch memory foam mattress for a queen sized bed for $130.

WORTH EVERY SINGLE PENNY and will do it again for each and every cruise w/out question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We brought along an extra luggage tag and just stapled it on the box!

Interestingly enough, we didn't have to wait until it "expanded" as we had read about earlier. The directions said to use immediately and that it even helped the process (body heat). There was ZERO smell like others had reported. Not sure if it wasn't fire retardant, but I know my regular sheets aren't either--ha!

A queen fit perfectly. Unlike some other posts, ours fit two twins wonderfully with about 2 inches to spare lengthwise. Didn't get in our way...just hung over a bit at the bottom...could have slid it up under out pillows but it didn't get in the way.

We left it for our room steward. I had read a few posts how grateful the stewards were to get the memory foam pads and how worse their beds were than the passengers (ugh...is that even possible)...and that was enough for both of us to not even consider for a second taking it home.

If you love the beds--this issue is, well, obviously not an issue for you. Congrats and may you long enjoy these beds. However, if it is an issue for you, it is so doable (I really wondered how much of a pain this was going to be and it turned out to be sooooooooooo effortless--really a nonissue) and such a small price to pay for the comfort.

We LOVED the beds with this 2.5 memory foam! In fact, we really hadn't noticed until the end, but the beds never split like they had before. If you lay in the middle, sometimes they tend to shift...but with this memory foam on it, they didn't even shift which was an extra bonus.

We'll have to figure out how to get one in the port of Rio....I would hate to have to consider taking one with us....but one thing is for sure, we will have one on all future Princess cruises...just in case. Our cruises are typically 14+ days and not being able to sleep on the mattress is just not an option for my DH. I can't believe how much better our entire cruise was because of the (non) issue of the bed with the memory foam topper.

Thanks cruisecritic.....I don't think I would have thought to do this w/out reading about it on this message board!!!!!

:)

How are these beds it says that minis have luxury Mattress?

Princess used to have them listed as 'Top of the line Serta mattresses', but I noticed that not too long ago they changed it to luxury mattresses. Even in the minis and full suites, they are also the extra extra firm mattresses, that we have found. They might be luxury mattresses, but that doesn't mean comfortable for many of us. IMHO!

Interestingly enough, we didn't have to wait until it "expanded" as we had read about earlier. The directions said to use immediately and that it even helped the process (body heat). There was ZERO smell like others had reported. Not sure if it wasn't fire retardant, but I know my regular sheets aren't either--ha!

:)

Glad you brought up that point. I purchased a new one recently and when I took it out of the box, within a few minutes it had expanded (which shocked me, as the previous ones needed at least overnight to expand). I am going to guess here that it depends on the type you purchase. I know the one I got last time is the one I am going to buy in the future as it didn't need 'airing out' or 'time to expand' like the previous ones did. ;)

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the Beds in the Mini Suites on Caribbean Princess we are leaving March 13 2011 and I have spent the last week looking at bad reviews My cabin is E723 , my husband has a terrible back, they say that the minis have upgraded beds, hmm I dont know and also could anyone tell if this cabin is good .....any Noise or things to worry about.....I like the itinerary on this cruise that is why I picked it

I have no idea if mine was hard or not, I couldn't get passed the crater and something hard poking me in my back or my rump if I sat down and this had an eggcrate on it. The steward finally turned it over and it was better but still had the crater but at least the pokey thing was at a place that didn't poke me.

We are trying Holland America in May for the first time.

Maybe it was the same thing that was poking us in the back?

The metal mesh support frame under the mattress was so concave that they had used several food trays in an effort to eliminate the crater we were sleeping on.:(

On our last cruise we requested the "egg crates" and were told they were all taken!! Our first stop found us in Walmart where we bought two twin size foam toppers for $11 each. They fit perfectly on the queen configuration and made a big difference, in my opinion. We just left them behind having enjoyed our $22!!

That is one of the best ideas I have heard so far,, thanks!!!:D

donnakg

What does one do if you are boarding in a far off country like Tahiti and there is no Walmart or Costco and the cruise is for 26 days! I suppose we just suffer in silence.

Jennie

Jennie, it's too bad you don't board until April. If you were boarding on March 2, I could just give you the one that we will be bringing onboard on February 9, we disembark on March 2. ;) We purposely board in Hawaii first so we can make a quick Walmart trip to pick one up before sailing to Tahiti. (we do always give the bed a one night try before doing this, hopefully someday we will be pleasently surprised and not need to purchase one).

Only two things I can think of you could do. One, take one with you (which will tie up quite a bit of luggage space), or find someone from the previous sailing that is bringing one onboard that maybe they would leave behind for you.

Toto,

You have given me a wonderful idea. Friends of ours are boarding in Honolulu and doing the btb to Ft. Lauderdale. I will ask them to buy us one when they are in HL and they can hold it on board until we embark! They are good friends and hopefully won't mind doing that for us.

Thanks for your offer. After our cruise we are flying home via Washington DC and Honolulu but by then, we won't need the egg crate.

Jennie

Toto,

You have given me a wonderful idea. Friends of ours are boarding in Honolulu and doing the btb to Ft. Lauderdale. I will ask them to buy us one when they are in HL and they can hold it on board until we embark! They are good friends and hopefully won't mind doing that for us.

Thanks for your offer. After our cruise we are flying home via Washington DC and Honolulu but by then, we won't need the egg crate.

Jennie

Sounds perfect! :) :)

Archived