egg crates on beds

gingera

I totally agree that the new foam mattress pads supplied by Princess are not even worth the effort or ordering or asking for. They went from a 3"-4" egg crate foam pad to a thin (less than 1") 'slightly bumpy' piece of foam that makes absolutely no difference on the extra firm mattress. We now bring our own memory foam and it makes the beds more like we are used to. It was a choice for us to find a way around these extra firm mattresses or stop sailing on Princess. Carrying the memory foam in an extra suitcase or buying it at the embarkation port won hands down. ;)

I was glad I requested one on our cruise last summer on the Sea Princess. As Toto points out it is now just a thin layer of foam, but it was enough to provide that little bit of extra cushion I need on Princess mattresses. I plan to ask for one again on our Christmas cruise in a few weeks.

If you bring a foam topper from home, what size do you need if you have the beds together? Is it a king size? Queen? It doesn't seem as large as a king but I'm just not sure.

Thanks.

Leslie

A queen size fits if you have them put it across the bed, in other words, on the bed but not under the pillow section at the top. It fits perfectly that way. A king would be way too big, and the queen is a bit too small (unless you don't care if it is not under the pillows, which we find perfect).

We had one put on our bed but not sure how much of a difference it made! The bed was amazingly comfy! A firm matress but we slept like babies the whole cruise!

Was it the mattress or the relaxing rocking to sleep with the ships motion? :)

I enjoy being rocked to sleep & wish it could be duplicated at home. And NO...not by the "rocking" of an earthquake. :eek:

On our last cruise we requested the "egg crates" and were told they were all taken!! Our first stop found us in Walmart where we bought two twin size foam toppers for $11 each. They fit perfectly on the queen configuration and made a big difference, in my opinion. We just left them behind having enjoyed our $22!!

I agree that this is an area where Princess needs to think about putting some improvement in place. Even with an egg crate I still find the beds quite uncomfortable. I wish Princess would do something about this issue.

A queen size fits if you have them put it across the bed, in other words, on the bed but not under the pillow section at the top. It fits perfectly that way. A king would be way too big, and the queen is a bit too small (unless you don't care if it is not under the pillows, which we find perfect).

And not to mention that your own topper is more sanitary...

May I ask, is it ALL the cabins that have awful beds,we are new to Princess , booked for 38 days in April 11, Diamond Princess, have a mini suite. Maybe we should be looking at bringing the "egg crate" topper pad.??:confused:

We were on the Ocean Princess in May for 31 days and we had the most comfortable of beds. I am not sure if they replaced them in Singapore in Nov/Dec when they were changing the ship from the Tahitian to Ocean Princess as they used to be very hard. They were fantastic, as good as on HAL who seem to have the most comfortable beds of all the cruise lines.

Jennie

May I ask, is it ALL the cabins that have awful beds,we are new to Princess , booked for 38 days in April 11, Diamond Princess, have a mini suite. Maybe we should be looking at bringing the "egg crate" topper pad.??:confused:

We've sailed on 28 & 30 day cruises on the Star within the last year and despite the less than comfortable beds keep returning to Princess. Everything else easily tips the scales to come back to Princess & being rocked to sleep each night helps to minimize any mattress problems.

It seems to be hit & miss with varying degrees of happiness even on the same ship. My issue has been having a crater in the mattress but recent posts from others say they're now too hard.

So it could be perception however I'd prefer too hard which could be softened with a nice eggcrate. We always request it but on our upcoming 14 day cruise we'll try what Princess has to offer & if it's not tolerable will buy a decent pad in our 1st port of call. :cool:

An alternative is to request that a duvet be placed under the bottom sheet.

I know I'm at risk of sounding like "The Princess and the Pea" but the duvet's under the sheet were worse than the hard bed because the stuffing in the cells of the duvet have , over time, become lumps! We tried that tactic until we reached Walmart!

I didn't think of asking for the duvet. Good idea, because the egg crates were useless and really grungy looking... all yellowed and thin and YUCK. That being said, while the beds are harder than I'd prefer, I have no trouble sleeping on them. More comfortable than my Tempurpedic at home, which I HATE!. (Had to buy a 3 inch thick latex topper for that)

I know I'm at risk of sounding like "The Princess and the Pea" but the duvet's under the sheet were worse than the hard bed because the stuffing in the cells of the duvet have , over time, become lumps! We tried that tactic until we reached Walmart!

Exactly!!

Archived