cabin assignment change

emilygrace

We're on the QM2 right now and it's the first time we've ever booked a GTY for all three legs...D6 :eek:!

We were upgraded to a B2 and then again to A3 on the east bound, to a B4 on the two day Cherbourg, and to C3 GTY which was further upgraded to A4 [where I'm typing right now] for the west bound.

Hope we'll meet up on board again some day. We're looking forward to sailing in the QE. We will be on the QM2 again in Jan. for the Caribbean, arriving back to NY with QE and Victoria. Hope to go back into the city that night to watch the sail away.

We're on the QM2 right now and it's the first time we've ever booked a GTY for all three legs...D6 :eek:!

We were upgraded to a B2 and then again to A3 on the east bound, to a B4 on the two day Cherbourg, and to C3 GTY which was further upgraded to A4 [where I'm typing right now] for the west bound.

Hope we'll meet up on board again some day. We're looking forward to sailing in the QE. We will be on the QM2 again in Jan. for the Caribbean, arriving back to NY with QE and Victoria. Hope to go back into the city that night to watch the sail away.

Hi Jack - good job you guys pack light with all those cabin changes!!! It would be great to catch up with you guys again - but, as I never manage to connect with you on here, if we ever manage to meet on a Cunarder it will be a real fluke LOL!!!!

Cheers

Ken

You have done really well, well done, we did see you at the meeting but we had to leave to see some friends that afternoon.

we took your lead and took the bus and subway into NYC, amazing, so easy

Hi Jack.

Hope you are having an amazing time.

Hugs,

Jeanne

We had just been given a nice Up+Grade now and again.

Had a GTY now at a midships and better grade. The other cabin I booked then paid for my IL's was at least the same level I booked for them both, but no upgrade. The QM 2 is finally after a few FLASH Sales getting more full on our upcoming cruise 11/27/2010 a.d. .

The Cunardardian UpGrade WiZard and Fairy do work sometimes well and sometimes not as well...

When you book a GTY at least you do not usually Down- Grade..eh...:eek:

HOPE is a very wonderful/useful four letter word and was a great Hospital Ship too, the Cunardian WiZard and Fairy may still upgrade people whilst aboard and just prior from walking up the Gang.

The chances of winning with a Royal Flush is better though..:eek:

Thanks Ocean Line Traveller - I have been reading this thread and your explanation is great. Just one more thing - what is the typical saving when booking and gty cabin vs. a numbered cabin (in same category) - is there much of a saving to be made, assuming you don't get a good upgrade? Expecting to book the QE in 2012, so interested in how this works.

The "better" upgrades are realized on "soft" sailings.. that is... sailings which aren't selling well and have had many price reductions on the west side of the pond.

If you're booked on a popular sailing, chances are you'll receive a cabin in your overall category.. inside.. oceanview.. balcony... without jumping from inside to ocean etc.

Babette, could you please tell me if the 2012 Circumnavigation of OZ is a 'popular' sailing?

Thanks Ocean Line Traveller - I have been reading this thread and your explanation is great. Just one more thing - what is the typical saving when booking and gty cabin vs. a numbered cabin (in same category) - is there much of a saving to be made, assuming you don't get a good upgrade? Expecting to book the QE in 2012, so interested in how this works.

From a US perspective, perhaps either me or my travel agent is doing something wrong, but both guarantee category and a specific cabin with possiblity of upgrade are the same price when I've booked months before voyage date (never booked a flash sale, so I can't comment on that). Do other US passengers receive a lower rate when booking a Cat Guar?:confused:

DebJef, another thing to factor in is the amount of on-board credit you're being offered. A good OBC offer might make it worth booking even at a slightly higher fare.;)

Cheers,

Salacia

Generally over the years with most cruise lines the fares for guarantee and selected cabins are the same within a specific category.

Sometimes if you are seeking the lowest price cabin for example, they

may be sold out technically but you can still get that rate on a GTE.

Seldom is a guarantee less than the posted minimum for a sailing.

Dear foodsvcmgr,

Thank you!

A truism.

One thing many people may not know nor realize is most OBC comes right of the RETAIL Pricing Structure. Not from the Wholesale.

Yes as most Stores do the same way of increasing volumes of sales for products/services too.

Knowing the bottom line in any item(s) of interest is vital to obtain the very best consumer price/cost basis.

The largest volumes produced usually get the best pricing structure for customers. As would and should be expected. That's just Commerce 101..eh..

One advantage of cruising with any of the Parent Carnival Cruise Lines is no matter which way people choose to book for any of the ship-trips, Shareholders still obtain the Shareholder Benefit of a Real OBC . As well a Cash Divident which may be taken as that and/or ReInvested for more dividends and shares thusly Compounding Again and Again making.

The Common Stock of Carnival Closed today, 11/15/2010 a.d. at ::

Trading Symbols::

CCL

Last

Change

Bid

Ask

High

Low

Volume

Time (ET)

4:00:06 PM

Dividend Yield of :::

Quarterly Div. (Ann. Yield) $0.10 (0.94%)

Next Ex-Date Nov 17, 2010

Next Pay Date Dec 10, 2010

Symbol

CUK

Last

Change

Bid

Ask

High

Low

Volume

Time (ET)

3:59:45 PM

Dividend Yield of:::

Quarterly Div. (Ann. Yield) $0.10 (0.92%)

Next Ex-Date Nov 17, 2010

Next Pay Date Dec 10, 2010

“I bring reason to your ears, and, in language as plain as ABC, hold up truth to your eyes.” Thomas Paine, December 23, 1776

:cool:

Generally over the years with most cruise lines the fares for guarantee and selected cabins are the same within a specific category.

Sometimes if you are seeking the lowest price cabin for example, they

may be sold out technically but you can still get that rate on a GTE.

Seldom is a guarantee less than the posted minimum for a sailing.

DefJeb, pleasure to have been helpful. My experience in this matter is mixed and I have not found a 'typical' saving by any means.

First I must tell you that I prefer last minute bookings, as they can be much less expensive than booking far in advance (the one and only time that I booked one year before departure, I cancelled the booking due to an irresistible last minute bargain). I can do this because we don't care about specific cabins or even categories of cabins (inside, outside, balcony), so we can be flexible.

In such cases I have many times found guarantee cabins that were less than half the price of a numbered cabin, or even less. It seems that a Guarantee cabin can become much cheaper as the time of departure gets closer and the cruise company wants to sell as many remaining cabins as possible and allocate them at its discretion.

But as the time of booking is far in advance of departure, the difference between a numbered and a guarantee cabin is non-existent. I guess that in this occasion the cruise line addresses only those willing to 'risk' an upgrade (or the worst cabin of this category...) or those that are not satisfied by the specific cabins in offer.

So, if you like booking the QE in 2012 it would be too early now, at least according to my experience. But it depends on a specific cruise, so if you want a particular itinerary you will have to risk. Either book early and risk seeing the price falling some time before departure, or leave it later and risk losing a nice cabin location or the entire cruise, discovering that price will not fall because this specific cruise sells well. As far as I know, there is no definite answer what to do in this case.

Let me add that when I started cruising (many years ago), in principle the main incentive to book a Guarantee cabin used to be the lower price.

Archived