cabin assignment change

emilygrace

We booked a C4 gty on the QV. We have been assigned a C1 and have 3 months until our sail date. I'm wondering if there is a chance they will change this before we sail, possibly even moving up to an obstructed balcony. I am quite happy with the location of our cabin but I'd take another upgrade for sure.

Has anyone booked a gty, got an assignment and then had it change again before sailing?

Thanks!

We booked a C4 gty on the QV. We have been assigned a C1 and have 3 months until our sail date. Has anyone booked a gty, got an assignment and then had it change again before sailing? Thanks!

Hi

On QM2 my parents (not on a gty but "willing to accept an upgrade") were upgraded from an C2 to a C1 Grade Oceanview and then, weeks before sailing, upgraded again to a "Sheltered Balcony" B Grade :) .

On one QM2 cruise I was upgraded from a D Grade Inside to a B Grade "Sheltered Balcony" and upgraded again to an A Grade Balcony on Deck 11, again not a gty but "willing to accept an upgrade" :) .

On QV I booked a D Grade inside and got... a D Grade inside :mad: .

Hope this helps.

Hi,

On a C A C.

Yes Maam we have had them even the same day of boarding.

I think the formula is not only how many times cruised but more how many dollars/pounds spent.

Yet the most important factoring is as in any property , the fill rat. How many cabins are available ( if any ) etc..etc... etc..;)

Carnival UK is a business name of Carnival plc, a company incorporated in England under registered number 04039524, registered office 5 Gainsford Street, London SE1 2NE. VAT Reg No. GB 761 4300 58. ATOL 6294. ABTA V8764.

We booked a C4 gty on the QV. We have been assigned a C1 and have 3 months until our sail date. I'm wondering if there is a chance they will change this before we sail, possibly even moving up to an obstructed balcony. I am quite happy with the location of our cabin but I'd take another upgrade for sure.

Has anyone booked a gty, got an assignment and then had it change again before sailing?

Thanks!

For Nov 27th cruise I booked D8/7 Gty, later was upgraded to C3, after making final payment I have been given C2, (which has a window , C3 had a porthole).

I am always pleased to receive a free upgrade as finance wise I always have book the least expensive inside cabin, often getting a group rate (I have a great TA) so anything free is gratefully received.

I do know though that people do choose a particular cabin for view, access to elevators , noise etc. and so not every one wishes for a change.

We booked a guarantee for the December 8th Caribbean sailing a few weeks ago. As of today, November 9th, we still don't have a cabin assignment. If the ship isn't full, does Cunard try to give everyone the best cabins possible (and leave the more undesirable ones empty). Is there a way to tell how full the ship is - ahead of time?

POLAR shows lots of availability on the Dec 08, 2010 sailing as of this posting.

Very few categories are waitlisted.

FLASH rates (Guarantee's for new bookings only) are available for every type cabin (Inside,Oceanview,Balcony,Princess,and Queens).

Those FLASH rates generally work to fill a soft sailing but it sure looks like

this sailing date has lots of cabins left 1 month out .:confused:

I have the impression from talking to friends and from what I've read on this board, that Cunard is holding off on allocating final upgrades/cabin assignments until much closer to the voyage date than they have in the past. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

Last year on QV we booked a D8 inside guarantee three months before sailing.

Some time later we were upgraded to a C5 obstructed oceanview.

Next an upgrade to a C1 came.

We ended up with an A2 balcony cabin.

So, we too can testify that multiple/successive updates are possible indeed. :)

(Many thanks Cunard! ;))

Hi Emilygrace

Last TA on QM2 we booked a B5 and we were upgraded to an A7 a month or so before travelling, when we booked in at the terminal in New York they upgraded us to an A1. We are travelling from Rome on Queen Victoria on the 24th Nov we booked a Q7 gty they issued us with a Q6 suite, they have now upgraded us again to a Q4. So yes it is possible good luck and have a great trip.

Richard

Thanks!

I'm new to the Cunard Line and am going on 1st cruise in January. What does "GTY" stand for?

Today, November 13th, when checking the voyage personaliser, I noticed that we had been assigned a cabin (did not have one yesterday). We had booked a guarantee (gty) cabin on November 1st. We are on deck 6 again, which is convenient for us, and more midship than last sailing in September 2010. Wonder if we will be upgraded prior to sailing.

I'm new to the Cunard Line and am going on 1st cruise in January. What does "GTY" stand for?

StarFlyr, welcome to Cunard Line. I hope that, like us, you will love it.

GTY stands for a 'Guarantee' category cabin. It is not a feature of Cunard Line only, but throughout the cruise industry. When booking this type of cabin you are not allowed to choose a specific cabin number. Instead you choose just the cabin category (e.g. a D8 inside, or a C3 oceanview, or an A5 balcony, etc - or simply a GTY outside or a GTY balcony cabin, etc) and the cruise company will decide which specific cabin number you will be assigned. This way the cruise company acquires greater flexibility in selling cabins according to their needs.

One advantage of booking a 'Guarantee' is that it is usually more inexpensive than booking a specific cabin. But the great incentive in booking this type of cabin is that, while you will never be given a cabin of a lower category than that you have booked, you may be given a complimentary upgrade and be allocated a cabin of a higher category.

Such free upgrades are numerous and frequent. Many times they are not something special. For example you may have booked a C3 outside cabin on Queen Victoria and end up in a C1 - only location of cabin has changed. But sometimes dramatic or even mind-blowing upgrades are said to have happened. You may see examples in this forum. Perhaps the most impressive and well known example is that of the happy cruiser who is said to have booked the lowest category of inside cabin on QE2 and ended up with a Queen's Grill Suite. I don't know if this ever took place, but I found in another cruise line a couple that claimed to have booked an inside cabin and ended up with a Junior Suite.

Free upgrades may happen even if you have booked a specific cabin number, but it is said that it is easier to get such an upgrade if you have booked a Guarantee cabin. This has been my experience, too.

The disadvantage of booking a Guarantee cabin is that you can be assigned the worst cabin within your chosen category (after the company has sold all the better ones), or even if you get upgraded to be given a cabin in a location that you would not like (for example near the elevators or the laundrettes). So you must be flexible and be prepared for the unexpected, because after assignment no change can be made and you are responsible to accept the company's choice.

Another danger is that many cruisers become over-optimistic. They book a Guarantee cabin within a category that they do not like and they hope that they will get an upgrade to the category that they really wish. For example they book an inside category and they expect to be allocated an outside cabin. Many times this does not happen and they become disappointed. So, a golden rule here is always to book what you are happy with and never to expect a complimentary upgrade.

The 'upgrade fairy' as it is fondly known is always unpredicted and it seems to depend on the amount of money that you have spent compared to what others did, and how well the cruise sells - if good cabins are not sold, free upgrades are more possible to be given.

To the Guarantee cabin fans a part of the excitement is to login every day to their Voyage Personalizer and see when and what cabin they will get eventually assigned. I have met people here who login even twice or more every day in their quest of the Guarantee assignment. :)

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise in January!

Today, November 13th, when checking the voyage personaliser, I noticed that we had been assigned a cabin (did not have one yesterday). We had booked a guarantee (gty) cabin on November 1st. We are on deck 6 again, which is convenient for us, and more midship than last sailing in September 2010. Wonder if we will be upgraded prior to sailing.

Theoretically you can always be upgraded until embarking. There are people who have reported that they discovered their upgrade only at check in.

And my experience at least is that the three weeks that remain until your departure are enough for an upgrade to be given. Good luck!

The "better" upgrades are realized on "soft" sailings.. that is... sailings which aren't selling well and have had many price reductions on the west side of the pond.

If you're booked on a popular sailing, chances are you'll receive a cabin in your overall category.. inside.. oceanview.. balcony... without jumping from inside to ocean etc.

Theoretically you can always be upgraded until embarking. There are people who have reported that they discovered their upgrade only at check in.

And my experience at least is that the three weeks that remain until your departure are enough for an upgrade to be given. Good luck!

We actually got upgraded from C1 to P1 on QE2 after we had boarded and unpacked - they tannoyed us!!! On our upcoming short QE cruise in two weeks time we have just received an A5 to A2 upgrade which is a little baffling?? An AA or P1 would be so much more appreciated!!!

Ken

we have been lucky then on popular voyages, we have had D8 to oceanview ,

Kenc if your on QE in two weeks, please say a big Hi to Gavboy from us who will onboard:)

Hi Rob .... don't think Gav is on the Gallic Debut 26 November - think he's on for Xmas and New Year.

Cheers

Ken

Archived