QE Policy

vannerhawk

Southampton told me this morning that the policy in Lesley Cardy's email has now been changed at a very high level due to customer feedback. Smoking IS still allowed in STATEROOMS, certain deck areas end Churchills on all three ships. There are also no plans to change the smoking policy in 2011, or anytime at present. I don't want to start another smoking thread, so this is for smoker's info only in case, like me, you were about to cancel your upcoming cruise.

Southampton told me this morning that the policy in Lesley Cardy's email has now been changed at a very high level due to customer feedback. Smoking IS still allowed in STATEROOMS, certain deck areas end Churchills on all three ships. There are also no plans to change the smoking policy in 2011, or anytime at present. I don't want to start another smoking thread, so this is for smoker's info only in case, like me, you were about to cancel your upcoming cruise.

Many thanks for the information vannerhawk - that is most interesting. I also would not wish to turn this thread into a 'battleground', but rather treat it as an information thread.

I was seriously contemplating canceling the two Cunard cruises that we have booked for 2011, but if your information is correct (and I have no reason to doubt it), then there is a distinct possibility that we will be booking a third!

Incidentally, to whom did you speak to at Southampton, and were they willing to confirm their information to you in writing. I only ask as, in the past, I have often received conflicting information from different personnel!

Thanks & regards,

David

Hi

Thank you so much for this informative and useful post. I also hope that this thread does not become a battleground, as a non smoker I am pleased that smokers will continue to find places on board to smoke, and also enjoy voyages with Cunard as I do :) .

Hi David. I spoke to Adam Parkin at Southampton who promised to confirm the info by email. Not received yet-what a surprise! To be fair tho' my email is rather hit and miss due to high level of spam filtering. I also hope he was right but as he called me back to tell me of the change I tend to believe him.

Judith

Hi David. I spoke to Adam Parkin at Southampton who promised to confirm the info by email. Not received yet-what a surprise! To be fair tho' my email is rather hit and miss due to high level of spam filtering. I also hope he was right but as he called me back to tell me of the change I tend to believe him.

Judith

Many thanks Judith - much appreciated. Although I personally do not smoke, my Wife does, and it is rather like That when one is told that you cannot do something somehow tends to make you want to do it more!

It seems to me that Cunard has now realised that they initially over-reacted to the Anti-Smoking Brigade, and that we will now hopefully end up with an equitable situation where all parties are satisfied - well most of them anyway!

Thanks and regards,

David

Hi Judith. Thank you for the update.

Personally, I don't understand why Cunard changed the wording regarding smoking policy both on their website (http://www.cunard.com/FAQs/On-Board/ ) and in the current Voyage Guide. I wonder if it might have been an error, or if Cunard is keeping their options open regarding further restrictions by intentionally using ambiguous wording.

While I realize it's not possible to change Guides that are already printed, surely Cunard could easily clarify the policy as specified on their website if they wanted to, and they could add date for which the policy will remain in effect. Until that is done, skepticism is warranted IMHO.

Regards,

Salacia

How true. It has been my experience that shoreside haven't even seen the script, never mind lost the plot...

Sadly true.

I'd suggest that the information from the ship is likely to be significantly more reliable too.

I'd also add that anyone who supports a more sensible view of smoking makes it very clear in the end of voyage questionnaire. I completely support the ban in restaurants, but (as I have previously said) don't want to turn smokers into pariahs. There is clearly a compromise that will satisfy 95% plus - which is what Cunard should aim for.

Ship's Cat's post is encouraging.

Thanks to all for the informative posts.

I agree that those passengers who post current information from the ship are the best source of current information on a variety of topics. I also appreciate that many experienced Cunard passengers have their finger on the pulse, so to speak, about what policies might be in a state of change, and are generous to take the time to post live from the ship. But who knows what Cunard's future policy will be? If Cunard knows, they aren't sharing.

Cunard has proven to me that they are not forthcoming about changes in policy. With little or no advance notice, surcharges, limitations and restrictions are imposed. Too often policies are published in ambigious terms; e-mails, and phone calls result in various responses, none of which are definitive. (See various threads in the past relating to alternative dining venue charges, use of wheel chairs for embarking/disembarking and tenders, smoking (pipes, cigars, or cigarettes) and applicable use of various types of on-board credits. -Sorry, I know that was a bit of rant, but I expect more from Cunard. And that is why I pay more to sail with Cunard.

Shore-side mismanagement, which has been recongized, can and will affect the ships to a degree uncertain. -Salacia

Well, it certainly seems that (as posters have hinted), Southampton staff are reading from a different script to everyone else! Yesterday, 'ships cat' posted "Smoking was certainly allowed in staterooms on the Queen Elizabeth Maiden voyage !", but today I have received the below e-mail from Southampton:-

Thank you for your email.

Guests are currently permitted to smoke cigarette's in their staterooms, private balconies and in designated areas of the open decks, Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth. This changes in April 2011 after the World Voyages therefore, after 19 April guests will only be permitted to smoke cigarettes on private balconies and designated area's of the open decks. Churchill's is essentially a cigar lounge however, from experience, the very few guests wishing to smoke a pipe have been allowed to do so there.

Queen Elizabeth has already adopted the new policy of not allowing smoking in staterooms.

I hope I have helped to clarify the situation and we look forward to welcoming you on-board.

Kind regards

Lesley Cardy

Customer Solutions Executive

Cunard Line

Carnival UK

The above certainly contradicts what 'ships cat' experienced on board QE recently, and also the information given to 'vannerhawk' via telephone by Adam Parkin at Southampton earlier this week!

So, how on earth do fare-paying passengers accurately ascertain what smoking restrictions are, or are not being implemented on board?

Regards,

David

Well, it certainly seems that (as posters have hinted), Southampton staff are reading from a different script to everyone else! Yesterday, 'ships cat' posted "Smoking was certainly allowed in staterooms on the Queen Elizabeth Maiden voyage !", but today I have received the below e-mail from Southampton:-

I can confirm that smoking was allowed on QE maiden voyage. We took second voyage and one particular cabin reeked of nicotine just passing the door. This cabin remained unoccupied for the duration of the voyage as passengers would not occupy it. Maybe Cunard have got the message at last.:rolleyes:

I can confirm that smoking was allowed on QE maiden voyage. We took second voyage and one particular cabin reeked of nicotine just passing the door. This cabin remained unoccupied for the duration of the voyage as passengers would not occupy it. Maybe Cunard have got the message at last.:rolleyes:

You have just got to be joking ?? Sailing on the 2nd voyage with empty cabins do you expect others to believe that!!!

I was told last week by our cabin steward that the QM2 MIGHT be changing the rule to allow smoking in the staterooms and allow it only on a balcony, how this will work I dont know, people who book inside would suffer, there a lot of complaints being made about smoke smel in corridors from the staterooms, maybe people are all smoking in them and not outside.

G32 still allows it upstairs only, chruchills and deck seven, mostly at the stern, people could shelter there a bit.

so smokers and non smokers will have to wait until nearer April 2011 to find out

To be honest I don't care if the only place I am allowed to smoke is inside the funnel. I do smoke, but have to agree the corridors of hotels do smell if guests smoke in thier rooms, I assume it would be the same on a ship. I have no intention of smoking in my cabin, or balcony, whether allowed to or not, a small space out on deck will do me just fine.;)

To be honest I don't care if the only place I am allowed to smoke is inside the funnel. I do smoke, but have to agree the corridors of hotels do smell if guests smoke in thier rooms, I assume it would be the same on a ship. I have no intention of smoking in my cabin, or balcony, whether allowed to or not, a small space out on deck will do me just fine.;)

well done, might you might find it tough going inside the funnel-there are in fact plenty of places to smoke onboard and no one complained about it, G32 was easy for anyone needing a quick smoke from the restaurant

I can confirm that smoking was allowed on QE maiden voyage. We took second voyage and one particular cabin reeked of nicotine just passing the door. This cabin remained unoccupied for the duration of the voyage as passengers would not occupy it. :rolleyes:

Firstly, I would state that in no way do I wish to start a "smoking vs non-smoking debate" on this thread, but I find your post rather difficult to accept.

The reason for this is that Cunard has allocated personnel to inspect all cabins immediately that they are vacated on turn-around days, and one of the things that they 'look' for is "unpleasant odours", which can be caused by (among other things) tobacco smoking by the previous occupier. If any trace of odour is present, an Ioniser Purifier/Ozone Generator or "Air Scrubber" is used in the room to remove all traces of the offending odour. These machines are highly effective, and are used by Restoration Contractors in houses to remove smoke odors after fire damage, musty smells after flooding, and the stench caused by decaying flesh, which cannot be removed by other means.

So why should Cunard not "Air Scrub" the cabin (the process takes about 1 hour) rather than leave it "reeking of nicotine" and lose valuable revenue with it un-occupied!

Regards,

David

...The reason for this is that Cunard has allocated personnel to inspect all cabins immediately that they are vacated on turn-around days, and one of the things that they 'look' for is "unpleasant odours", which can be caused by (among other things) tobacco smoking by the previous occupier. If any trace of odour is present, an Ioniser Purifier/Ozone Generator or "Air Scrubber" is used in the room to remove all traces of the offending odour. These machines are highly effective, and are used by Restoration Contractors in houses to remove smoke odors after fire damage, musty smells after flooding, and the stench caused by decaying flesh, which cannot be removed by other means...

Regards,

David

Hi Dorchester. So that's how they do it! I've never detected any odours from previous occupants in a cabin, and I've long wondered how that was accomplished.

Oh wait, I take that back: once we entered a cabin for the first time and were hit with the unmistakable odour of pate that had been unrefigerated for hours:eek: It seems that while boarded around 3pm, the canapes that our travel agent ordered for us must have been delivered to the room hours earlier. Anyway, opening the balcony door for a few minutes cleared the air, but I guess the hallway outside our cabin didn't smell too sweet for a while. :)

Cheers,

Salacia

... I have no intention of smoking in my cabin, or balcony, whether allowed to or not, a small space out on deck will do me just fine.;)

Philayl, that is very thoughtful of you. I certainly hope the weather cooperates with your plan as in certain conditions, standing on the deck can be an extremely challenging experience. :eek: Regards, Salacia

Archived