Entertaining a toddler at dinner

Julienatul

Anyone have any great suggestions that worked for them for entertaining a 2yr old at dinner while waiting for food to come aside from crayons, stickers? This is just a question in general for home restaurants as well as the cruise. (no flaming as I will remove my toddler if he acts up and we will be eating in the dining room not the buffet area)

There are dozens of threads discussing this issue. Have you done a quick look through this forum? Or a search?

Some common ones include a portable DVD player with headphones. Personally, I used to always feed my kids before we went out, because a hungry child is not a pleasant creature.

I cruised when my daughter was one and again when she was two. I found that the portable DVD player works the best. Just be prepared to make a couple of trips away from the table if need be. No matter what you put in front of your toddler they'll probably get a little restless at times. Remember, you always have room service too.:)

Good luck and enjoy!

Anyone have any great suggestions that worked for them for entertaining a 2yr old at dinner while waiting for food to come aside from crayons, stickers? This is just a question in general for home restaurants as well as the cruise. (no flaming as I will remove my toddler if he acts up and we will be eating in the dining room not the buffet area)

Really never had an issue. They (sometimes) have a kids menu and crayons, but I think it is better to bring your own. Also, a couple of matchbox cars have always been great entertainment.

That said, the wait staff is great with the kids. They bring water and rolls right away. We let them know that my son drinks milk every night at dinner, and every night after the first, they have that handy too. Also, I tell them that at least 1 fruit plate right off the bat would be wonderful. They have consistently said how much they appreciate knowing this stuff because they can have it lined up ahead of time and makes their job easier. Plus, the little one has plenty to snack on while dinner is being ordered and prepared. Just be sure to tell them if you are NOT going to be there one night so they aren't expecting you.

We bought 2 inch sized pooh tigger piglet etc figures from the $1 store.

DD plays with them a bit....then dad sneaks tigger away and DD looks around the table for him. she delightedly finds he's jumped on top of the ketchup bottle. or in dad's pocket.

on the Sky our waiter made an orgami frog from the kids menu for DD.

We brought a coloring book and crayons, but my 2.5 yo never played with them. She was more than happy eating bread in between all the courses. Start to get fussy, here comes Celso with another roll! :D Of course, maybe not ALL kids would be entertained with the food alone, but she didn't have any issues sitting there and eating. The only problem is that she's newly potty trained, so like 3 times every evening I'd have to bring her to the bathroom--which was a long walk from our table directly in the back! :rolleyes: But maybe that's why she never got too bored--sitting here isn't fun, let's go potty! ;)

I think if your child has a favorite toy, bring that. Or, as was mentioned, other small dolls and books might be good, too.

I'm taking my almost 3 y.o. on his first cruise next month. For dinner, I have my itouch loaded with his favorite TV shows. He'll watch them at dinner with headphones when he starts to get antsy.

I also will bring my "restaurant" bag. It contains crafts, stickers, puzzles and toys he normally doesn't get to play with. All the stuff is new to him and each item keeps him entertained for a while. I bring out "new" items as needed.

If you have an iphone, itouch, ipad, or ipod, I strongly recommend that instead of the DVD player. So much easier!

Really never had an issue. They (sometimes) have a kids menu and crayons, but I think it is better to bring your own. Also, a couple of matchbox cars have always been great entertainment.

That said, the wait staff is great with the kids. They bring water and rolls right away. We let them know that my son drinks milk every night at dinner, and every night after the first, they have that handy too. Also, I tell them that at least 1 fruit plate right off the bat would be wonderful. They have consistently said how much they appreciate knowing this stuff because they can have it lined up ahead of time and makes their job easier. Plus, the little one has plenty to snack on while dinner is being ordered and prepared. Just be sure to tell them if you are NOT going to be there one night so they aren't expecting you.

ITA-we have a strict no-tv policy during meals and don't budge on it during vacations. Being prepared with a few toys or games (my boys love I Spy) and the time usually flies by. Letting staff know ahead of time that you are dining with little ones is helpful, they always have a few new-to-you tricks that come in handy :) I like to ask that the kids' meals first, so that we have time to cut up their meal before our meals arrive. This way the kids begin eating when we do, and if needed can have dessert while we finish our meal. I too am not averse (nor unfamiliar!) with leaving a restaurant with children showing poor behaviour and my boys know it.

Do you dine out much at home? We eat out in nice restaurants about once a month, to "practice" our eating in public skills. Honestly the hardest part is waiting for others to finish before being excused from the table.

I guess we all make our own choices and really whatever works for you is good. But, you asked for opinions, so I'm going to offer mine. I don't like the tv at meal time thing. I think kids need to learn to engage in dinner conversation and the only way they can do that is to be involved. There's no way to be involved when you're staring at a screen. Having said that, if I'm going to be dining with a friend and I think she's going to be terribly bored, I do occasionally bring small playdoh or crayons/coloring book or even just a pen to let my dd write. She also likes folding the napkins over and over again and stacking, sorting and counting the different sugar packets. She's 2 yrs, 10 mos now and its worked for us pretty well. She is getting better and better at conversing during meals. You do have to be willing to do a bit of talking about what a toddler wants to discuss though :D

DS5 has been on 3 cruises - when he was 2, 3 and 4. He was never bored at dinner time. There's plenty of action going around with the waiters hustling and bustling, watching the ocean through the window, deciding what to eat - eating, of course, and playing with the cutlery. Sure, crayons might keep his attention for 5-10 minutes, but otherwise he's been happy with just watching and interacting with his surroundings.

We've used many of the ideas that have been mentioned on here to keep our kids (and their friends) occupied during dinner. It varies with each one of the kids. We've used the handheld games - Leapster (with headphones), gameboy or Nintendo DSi, even DH's Blackberry to watch videos. Small toys like matchbox cars, a small lego set, or playdoh worked wonders for DS. Actually they still work for him when his patience wears thin.

When you board the ship, go to the dining room to check the location of your table. If it's out of the way you may be able to let your little one have a little time on the floor - with a car or crayon and coloring page. Just a little bit of time out of the high chair or booster seat does wonders some time.

I'm taking my almost 3 y.o. on his first cruise next month. For dinner, I have my itouch loaded with his favorite TV shows. He'll watch them at dinner with headphones when he starts to get antsy.

I also will bring my "restaurant" bag. It contains crafts, stickers, puzzles and toys he normally doesn't get to play with. All the stuff is new to him and each item keeps him entertained for a while. I bring out "new" items as needed.

If you have an iphone, itouch, ipad, or ipod, I strongly recommend that instead of the DVD player. So much easier!

My old iPhone now works as an iTouch for my 4yo. I bought the children's headphones( volume only goes so high) and loaded it with pre-school games and videos and I can bring him anywhere without an issue... it works like magic to keep him entertained even on long flights!

On our last cruise there was a little boy at the table behind us, he had a small ship replica toy that he was facinated with, he was adorable! There were times he got a bit cranky, but dont we all. The service was very very quick so there wasnt a lot of waiting and as someone else said the wait staff will be quick to bring some fruit or breadsticks or whatever you need to keep him busy if he is hungry.

Thanks all, this will be DS's 5th cruise so he is very used to cruising and the formal dining room. I love the craft, matchbox cars, toy ship etc ideas . We do use the DVD player with headphones some. I was just looking for some new ideas to entertain him. We also used the DVD player with our DD when she was younger, once her attention span increased we stopped it and now she is a polite conversing contributing member of our family at dinner at age 5 :)

DD is now 15YO (and converses very nicely at the dinner table, thank you very much!) -- she has always travelled with us.

We got one of the first portable DVD players for her when she was about 3YO. While we primarily used it on planes, trains and long drives, I would not have ruled out using it during dinners.

A 2+ hour multi-course sit down dinner is an entirely different animal than a family dinner at home or even at a nice resturant -- so I would have no problem with a toddler or other little one "engaged" in the family dinner for a bit and then allow them a little bit of time watching a video. The decision as to what is "appropriate" is up to each family -- as long as the entertainment does not disturb or endanger others it is fine by me.

If you do choose to use a video device, make certain your child is used to using earphones.

At the 18M to 5YO range, we'd bring the toy bag -- small containers of playdough, some small games and play figurines, board books, etc. At the earlier age, I discovered using the pacifier leashes to tether the toys to the high chair or the child's clothes, reduced the temptation to try the let's "throw the toy on the floor" game.

Dover press makes great sticker and other activties booklets -- retailing at between 1 and 2 dollars and at about 4x6", they are great. As your child ages, look into the Playmobile sets. Once they get into grade school, I encourage reading over video games for any entertainment at the dinner table -- again when faced with a 2+ hour meal time, as long as DD stayed engaged for much of the dinner, I'd let her read for a bit.

I don't think that a child should be allowed out of their seat to play on the floor (even if it is out of the way). Very annoying and it is not teaching them how to behave in a restraunt.

also potentially dangerous. waiters and others just are not expecting a little one on the floor.

A PSP (play station portable) w/ videos, audio was on mute. Our son was happy to watch the videos without audio and the size was a plus since a psp is way small. We got ours at a local pawn shop and it was really cheap so if he broke it we wouldn't be heartbroken. But he didn't break it, luckily.

I guess we all make our own choices and really whatever works for you is good. But, you asked for opinions, so I'm going to offer mine. I don't like the tv at meal time thing. I think kids need to learn to engage in dinner conversation and the only way they can do that is to be involved. There's no way to be involved when you're staring at a screen.

I am also in the no tv at meal-time camp for the same reasons as above. On our last cruise there were two little boys who did nothing but watch their dvd players while they ignored the adults and the adults essentially ignored them.

That being said, on our last cruise when DD was 3.5, we brought coloring books, crayons, travel candyland came, age appropriate brain quest cards, and small figurines. One of the waiters made her an origami dog from the kids menu that she played w/throughout the cruise. And though I am generally against letting kids play on the floor (and this one cruise was the one exception), I let her play w/her doll and blanket on the floor between our table and the wall as I was not in the swing of things suffering from strong morning sickness to deal w/a child who was more titchy than normal b/c of a deployed father. She will NOT be allowed to do that again.

On our upcoming cruise, we'll do the same thing w/coloring, and figurines (like polly pocket dolls. I'll probably add the play-doh and some books to read. We've started doing some school at home, so I'll most like bring some of the worksheets w/us as she adores doing them.

And one last thing to add, we usually ordered her dinner right away. The waiters had it out fairly quickly. About the time she started getting too squirmy, the kids center opened and either myself or my mom took her up there.

My son, now 4, has always been tough at restaurants because he is extremely active. My child is NOT fine with just crayons and a few matchbox cars. I am envious of the parents whose kids are! But, that's not my reality. So, I don't bring him if I feel he can't handle it, and like you, I remove him at the first sign of inappropriate behavior.

But, we like to eat out, so sometimes we bring him, and that's the only way he's going to learn how to act in a restaurant. The key for us is having a few things he's never played with before. I am always on the alert for new restaurant toys. They don't have to cost money. For example, my son loves to play with coffee beans, so I brought a small container of them. Anything he can touch and feel. There's a small stamp pad set made by "Melissa and Doug" toys. That gives him something to do that's different than regular crayons.

If you think the DVD player would work, go for it. This might go against conventional wisdom, but I like my child to be a little hungry, because he'll focus better on the food. I also recommend making sure the child has some physical activity before the dining situation to help get some energy out.

Archived