Anyone recently returned from the Ryndam?

Desdemona01

I just disembarked on Oct.31. I thought the ship was in great shape but then I've been on HAL's worst ship (IMO) so anything would be better. Many people thought it was a rust bucket but I thought it looked excellent. Everything ran very well.....no problems. I didn't see many shows so I can't comment on that. The food was fine but pretty much everything was lukewarm. I loved the itin. and would for sure do it again. Leave from Tampa was a pleasure.

thanks to both of you for the info. We sailed on the Ryndam last December and both agreed that she is our favorite HAL ship (so far, out of several). We're anxious to see her after her *work* (we have an upcoming cruise).

KK, I'll check those *other* places and read your review--thanks :)

I disembarked 10/31 as well. Overall I loved this ship! We really enjoyed the entertainment, especially Ronan in the Piano bar, and the acoustic guitarist, Greg. Loved, loved, loved our stateroom, a deluxe suite. Felt the service was over the top ... much better than we had on the Oosterdam in June this year, in every area!! Food was for the most part very good. Loved the itinerary. Only complaint ... the air conditioning was not functioning as good as it should have been, and most areas of the ship were much warmer than I would have preferred. We were given a fan for our stateroom and it helped. Would I sail on the Ryndam again? You bet, in a heartbeat!!

I disembarked 10/31 as well. Overall I loved this ship! We really enjoyed the entertainment, especially Ronan in the Piano bar, and the acoustic guitarist, Greg. Loved, loved, loved our stateroom, a deluxe suite. Felt the service was over the top ... much better than we had on the Oosterdam in June this year, in every area!! Food was for the most part very good. Loved the itinerary. Only complaint ... the air conditioning was not functioning as good as it should have been, and most areas of the ship were much warmer than I would have preferred. We were given a fan for our stateroom and it helped. Would I sail on the Ryndam again? You bet, in a heartbeat!!

thanks so much! The Piano Bar is of interest to us--we're hoping for someone good (since Jimmy Maddox is on the NA we know we won't get him :(). And we will check out Greg with the accoustic guitar--one of DH's interests. We're also in a Deluxe Suite so we're very much looking forward to this adventure. Hope the A/C is working better but I learned some time back, regardless where/how I travel, that my battery-operated fan goes along...

They provided us with a floor pedestal fan ... all we had to do was ask. I really enjoyed having access to the Neptune Lounge ... always some yummy goodies there all hours of the day, and the concierge, Henji, was extremely pleasant and helpful. We had some fun late night sing-a-longs in the Piano bar with Ronan. If you spend anytime with him please tell him "Kentucky says hello" :)

We also disembarked on 7/11 and had no complaints. The ship was in good shape and we saw no glaring problems. The air conditioning (deluxe suite) seemed to stick on super cold the day we missed the port of Cozumel but it was taken care of quickly. I did find I needed a sweater in many areas. The food and service were good. We only went to one show so cannot give an honest review. I would book the Ryndam again.

Same here. We sailed on the 10/10/10 cruise and we loved everything. The ship was very lovely and the casual slow no-pressure atmosphere was the best. We would sail again on the Ryndam in an instant.

Yes, the 10/10/10 cruise was the one where the entire itinerary was changed to avoid hurricaine Paula, but I'd much rather enjoy myself in wonderful Carribean sunshine instead of being pounded by 80-100 mph winds. The captain made the right decision to go with the sunny Bahamas. It's pretty difficult for us to get annoyed on Holland America.

All in all, great ship, wonderful food, well-treked promenade and swimming every day. Couldn't be better.

Archived