Do I Need a Travel Agent?

el344

I've booked an Avalon Basel-Amsterdam cruise for next fall. As I usually do with cruises, I did it myself on the internet, but their website seems very geared to going through travel agents. Are there advantages to booking through a travel agent that I'm not aware of?

Elise

I've booked an Avalon Basel-Amsterdam cruise for next fall. As I usually do with cruises, I did it myself on the internet, but their website seems very geared to going through travel agents. Are there advantages to booking through a travel agent that I'm not aware of?

Elise

How about discounts?:)

Would that be the case after I have already booked?

Elise

I don't know about Avalon, but, a few months ago I booked my AMA Russian River Cruise through AMA (based in California), then a few days later I got a price quote through an internet agency that was QUITE A BIT LOWER, and I switched.

I did not have any problems at all switching with AMA.

I was tickled pink, I got the exact cruise I wanted, the exact cabin I wanted, ALL for a MUCH LOWER PRICE....!!! sHa_thumbsup.gif

I booked my own air too. AMA's was to expensive.

The only real draw back I can see is that now all my questions go through my TA not AMA specifically. But, that is OK.

I am SO HAPPY to have saved a nice chunk of change, I am putting that towards our "Optional Excursions".....!!! :D :D

If you have any questions, please e-mail me at:

suesanjean@gmail.com

Elise

You've got mail........ email.gif :D

I checked the price for the Russia AMA cruise we are taking with AMA. I booked my cruise with an online travel agency, which I am not permitted to name here, but I saved a whole bunch of money. I was able to get the cabin I wanted with no problem.

As far as communication is concerned, you can call AMA and they will answer your questions. My TA is absolutely fantastic about getting back to my emails.

Like you, I usually book my own travel, but saving $$$ made choosing this TA a no brainer.

I am also in a small state of terror over the Russian visa process and I'm happy to have an experienced TA to guide me through the process.

You can email me at kelliepoodle@yahoo.com if you'd like more info about my TA.

I checked the price for the Russia AMA cruise we are taking with AMA. I booked my cruise with an online travel agency, which I am not permitted to name here, but I saved a whole bunch of money. I was able to get the cabin I wanted with no problem.

As far as communication is concerned, you can call AMA and they will answer your questions. My TA is absolutely fantastic about getting back to my emails.

Like you, I usually book my own travel, but saving $$$ made choosing this TA a no brainer.

I am also in a small state of terror over the Russian visa process and I'm happy to have an experienced TA to guide me through the process.

You can email me at kelliepoodle@yahoo.com if you'd like more info about my TA.

Every cruise that I have booked (3) in the past year and one half, no TA that I could find did better than going directly to the cruiselines (NCL and Celebrity). All three of the cruises that I booked were out of Europe or to SA, and sold out early.

I know from research that the Carribean cruise tend to not sell out and are frequently discounted.

I am looking at a Russian River Cruise next Summer, and have found several choices. Vantage and GCT are my favorites, but they tend to be more expensive than Gate 1 and the budget choices.

Just got back from our first river cruise on Avalon...booked through a TA and saved a TON of money....they had a special for $200 roundtrip air from Tucson to Budapesct and Prague to Tucson, they also paid for our port taxes and fees...there are several TAs that discount, do your research and you will save!!

Every cruise that I have booked (3) in the past year and one half, no TA that I could find did better than going directly to the cruiselines (NCL and Celebrity). All three of the cruises that I booked were out of Europe or to SA, and sold out early.

Many cruise lines have the same price for the TA and for their own site. The difference is in the perks the TA will give you. I booked my own cruise on Royal, grabbed 3 price drops and transferred it to a TA who gave me $100 onboard credit for a 7 day cruise.

Archived