Liquor prices - ship, st. Marteen or st. Thomas

RDMOREU

In the past we found that St. Martin had cheaper prices than St. Thomas or the ship... but the price difference wasn't a whole heck of a lot. And as a previous poster noted, you can bring more back from St. Thomas duty free.

DH would like to know which might have the best prices. TIA

You DH should know it will vary widely depending on what you want to buy.

Personally, I would not bother with all the effort to get it back home unless it was something that was hard to buy at home.

DH would like to know which might have the best prices. TIA

St. Maarten has the BEST PRICES to purchase liquor. Usually the stores further up Front Street have lower prices. Don't be afraid to bargain, especially if you are buying a number of bottles.

Enjoy St. Maarten. We love the island, as we have been visiting it at least one time a year for the past 20 years.

I am not aware off the top of my head of any liquor producers in St. Thomas or St. Maarten (I know they must exist), but if they have a retail outlet, that is where you usually find the cheapest prices. I know that in Bermuda at least the Gossling's store in Hamilton sold all brands of liquor and was far cheaper than anything back home and either equal to or decently cheaper than the shipboard prices for everything (obviously their own rum was significantly cheaper than on the ship). That being said, the best bet is to shop around and watch for the sales on board, sometimes the best deal is on the ship.

Not sure about the best prices between St Thomas and St Maarten but keep in mind that as long as you buy some rum from St. Tom you are allowed to bring back an additional bottle.

yes, that is important. In fact you can bring back a lot more from St Thomas. The selection in St Thomas is better, but I think the prices in St Maartin are a little less (not much)

Nita

2 more thoughts

1. If you are going to buy some while in St. Thomas, do it before you go to the beach or whatever you are doing. We waited and stopped on our return and missed the cutoff for the free delivery to the ship so ended up having to lug it and our beach stuff.

2. If you are flying Southwest, be aware they will not accept the boxes the stores prepare for you as luggage. You have to fit them inside your suitcases. It worked fine for us - a box with six bottles fit fine in our overhead bin sized roll aboards once we expanded them...we just had to empty the clothes into the collaspable duffles we always take along. Since SW allows two free checked bags, it didn't cost us any extra.

Well worth it in my opinion, as I recall, we figured we saved about $200 over what we would have paid in the US.

AH Riise in St Thomas is no longer a bargain.

Johnny Walker Black - $25 litre (I pay $49 plus $3 tax at Costco for 1.75l)

Hendrick's Gin - $20 750ml (I pay $46 plus $3 tax at FL discount liquor store for 1.75l)

We were on a b-2-b recently and got to take some specialty stuff off after week one (car was in pier parking) and then again at the end of week two.

Airline restrictions make carrying difficult.

AH Riise in St Thomas is no longer a bargain.

Johnny Walker Black - $25 litre (I pay $49 plus $3 tax at Costco for 1.75l)

Hendrick's Gin - $20 750ml (I pay $46 plus $3 tax at FL discount liquor store for 1.75l)

We were on a b-2-b recently and got to take some specialty stuff off after week one (car was in pier parking) and then again at the end of week two.

Airline restrictions make carrying difficult.

It still depends on where you live; for Johnny Walker Black here we pay about $35.00 a liter. We will be driving in Feb to NOLA so will look for good deals in Mexico. I do agree, it is sometimes too much a hassle to make it worth wild.

Archived