How long will it take to fix Splendor?

Johnsmomma

crankcase expolsion in # 5 Dg wich will have totalted the entablature. this part wll not be available in the US and will need to be shipped across from the one of wartsila factories either in trieste or Turku. in any case this will be a dry dock job as the new engine will need to be skidded in through a hole in the side of the machinery space. and then be rebuilt in situ. As you can imagine this won't be a 5 minute job as all the commissioning and testing of the plant will need to be done to the flag state and classification societies inspectors' satisfaction. Dawn pribcess had a similar situation in I think 2006 she was out of service for a least a month and a 1/2.

Nobody has ever said anything about an explosion, let's not get carried away now.

as someone who did/does alot of electrical work.

The wiring harness is not like a car, not sure of the gauge of the wire but most of it could be bought at Home Depot/Lowes.

Thats the good news, the bad news.

With a electrical fire all wiring will needed to be tested heat plays nasty tricks on wiring , the electrical "gremlins" will be a issue (hopefully small) for the next few cruises

I know that carbon can act as a conductor. I worked with 500MCM down to 22gauge an all in between. Transformers and panels. All new or gremlins will surface as u said.

I know that carbon can act as a conductor. I worked with 500MCM down to 22gauge an all in between. Transformers and panels. All new or gremlins will surface as u said.

I was thinking more of the line of heat going done the wire and softening the coating or burning it off then when power is applied it will go right to ground.

I would not want to be the electrician on this job, the ship is almost 1000 feet that is alot of testing..

My thought was If the burnt wires,panels,switch gear, are replaced why can't the Splendor sail with five engine/gen. sets. Also people on RCI boards were saying the Splendor did not have Apazoids [sp] but prop shafts? is that true ?

I really don't think anyone knows the extent of the damage. How hot was the fire? Were the shafts bent? What about the generators? Where the internal components melted to any degree? There are just too many unknowns to speculate at this time other than to suggest that since it has already been over a week, that no one knows how long it is going to take, but that it is probably safe to guess that it is not going to be a quick fix.

Smoke from burning insulation is VERY Corrosive. The effects of this fire will be seen for the rest of the life of the ship. It will manifest itself as grounding issues in the electrical distribution grid. This can in turn cause problems with the multitude of computer controls in the engineering spaces.

I was part of a team monitoring clean-up efforts after the Graniteville SC chlorine spill caused by the rupture of Chlorine Railroad Tankers cars. Even after electronic components were removed, cleaned, rinsed multiple times in Deminerilized water; the effects of Chlorine corrosion continued to occur. This was a multi-million dollar cleanup effort that failed and caused the Mills tp close and thousands to lose their jobs.

I agree that the only people who have any idea about the damage, are on the ship right now. And they might still be trying to figure this out.

My wife and six others sail together the end of January and I might be wrong, but I am pretty confident that we will be fine.

One thing that John Heald kept saying on his blog (a great read by the way - he does a fantastic job making you feel like you were there with him), was that it seemed to be the wires and cables that were smoldering/on fire and the plastic and such was causing a lot of smoke.

But again, only the people on the ship know if this is right.

I do enjoy those of you who have experience about these things and getting your input, thank you.

Oh, by the way I feel terrible for those of you who are booked to cruise over the next few weeks. I don't know how I would handle it if it was me, I wish you only good luck.

Hal, thanks so very much for your intelligent and informative feedback. May I ask how you came by this info?

Take a look at the services page from Wartsila's web site

http://www.wartsila.com/,en,productsservices,0,product,C90E3BE3-B87B-4DAE-BEAD-EFEF40D02817,D89DFF42-1985-4126-8E2C-2A6F9CBC2922,,.htm

It's pretty amazing what they can do in place.

Steve

Take a look at the services page from Wartsila's web site

http://www.wartsila.com/,en,productsservices,0,product,C90E3BE3-B87B-4DAE-BEAD-EFEF40D02817,D89DFF42-1985-4126-8E2C-2A6F9CBC2922,,.htm

It's pretty amazing what they can do in place.

Steve

Oh man I got sucked in to that site, wow! Crazy cool stuff AND what they can do on location!

Thanks for the post.

Atleast it has more lights now!:p

I know they are trying to assess the damage at this moment, but isn't the prudent thing for Carnival to cancel the next couple of cruises so the passengers can work on the back up plan? I'm booked on 11/21 sailing which I'm 99% sure that it'll be canceled. But I can't commit to the back up plan due to that 1% of remote possibility that Carnival might put the ship back on the water by next week. If Carnival eventually cancels next weeks sailing late this week, it might be too late to come up with any back up plan. It's Thanksgiving week after all.

I know they are trying to assess the damage at this moment, but isn't the prudent thing for Carnival to cancel the next couple of cruises so the passengers can work on the back up plan? I'm booked on 11/21 sailing which I'm 99% sure that it'll be canceled. But I can't commit to the back up plan due to that 1% of remote possibility that Carnival might put the ship back on the water by next week. If Carnival eventually cancels next weeks sailing late this week, it might be too late to come up with any back up plan. It's Thanksgiving week after all.

If I were you I'd be calling Carnival twice a day looking for an answer. Three diff. ans. all wrong. Three the same maybe right.

Im with Host Randy .. if you want to ask a question, please post it on one of the many ongoing threads.

But unfortunately they've lumped them all together and there are now 3740 postings that you have to look through to find something out. I wish they would have left them separate.

Nobody has ever said anything about an explosion, let's not get carried away now.

Nobody has said it, but it is something that can happen with diesel engines, and since they described the engine failure as a "split crankcase", I immediately guessed the same thing. A crankcase explosion, while rare, can be destructive and can result in fire. I think using the term "split crankcase" was nuanaced so as not to alarm people.

Do a little Googling, and you can learn more about it. There's a video that shows a large diesel on a test bed that suffered a crankcase explosion, and you can see what happens.

In the end, we will just have to wait and see what the investigation will find.

As far as the cabling goes, this will be rather substantial sized cabling, not wiring you are going to find at the Home Depot. I assume that the cabling they are referring to is the cabling that takes the output of the generators (several thousand volts) and gets it to the main switchboard for distribution to the propulsion motors and the the ship's other electrical needs.

Archived