Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We live in the San Francisco Bay area. Worse case scenario, court house wedding with who ever can attend locally, then do a vow renewal on the ship in June or when ever all the kids/guests are available to go on the cruise (kids are all on different college schedules).

Kudos to you, splendor bride, for keeping such an upbeat attitude. I'm a minister and deal with brides all the time, and am impressed that you are looking at options and keeping your cool. (although I do appreciate your post saying you wish the feeling that you're going to throw up would go away!) Someday, this will make a great story.

Prayers going out to everyone on the Splendor tonight, and gratitude that all are safe.

Can't be fun onboard -

Currently several key hotel systems, including air conditioning, hot food service, flushing toilets and telephones are not available. The ship’s crew is actively working to restore partial services.

My guess is that life on board is more nasty than we suspect. Do you sleep in your cabin tonight with no ventilation, no working toilets (on the whole ship), and a lingering smell of smoke now that the ship has been baking in the sun all day, or on deck under the stars with a few thousand of your closest friends? No ice, no elevators... I hope that the water pumps are working at least. :eek:

We are sailing on Nov. 28th hopefully??

SouthWest has been paid in full (over $500)...

If the Splendor doesn't sail on the 28th I wonder if Carnival will pay for our plane tickets??? :confused:

Also wonder if we could get moved over to the Spirit IF we don't get a refund for our SouthWest tickets?? :confused:

Gosh I would be having a full on panic attack in the heat and crowded conditions. :eek: This is one of the main reasons I have not taken a transatlantic or Hawaiian cruise. EEEK.

Any updates from any passengers? Can they make any calls or send any emails with no real power on the ship? Probably not, huh?

Katherine

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We live in the San Francisco Bay area. Worse case scenario, court house wedding with who ever can attend locally, then do a vow renewal on the ship in June or when ever all the kids/guests are available to go on the cruise (kids are all on different college schedules).

How about getting married on the Queen Mary, right next door to where the Splendor docks. (Although I have no idea how much it costs, but it might be something to look into.) Then take the Monday sailing of the Paradise which also docks right at the Queen Mary.

If the Splendor doesn't sail on the 28th I wonder if Carnival will pay for our plane tickets??? :confused:

Also wonder if we could get moved over to the Spirit IF we don't get a refund for our SouthWest tickets?? :confused:

You can cancel your Southwest tickets and bank the flight costs for one year.

My guess is that life on board is more nasty than we suspect. Do you sleep in your cabin tonight with no ventilation, no working toilets (on the whole ship), and a lingering smell of smoke now that the ship has been baking in the sun all day, or on deck under the stars with a few thousand of your closest friends? No ice, no elevators... I hope that the water pumps are working at least. :eek:

It sounds extremely uncomfortable.

However, to put it in perspective, if there were dozens or hundreds of people on board with 2nd or 3rd degree burns and only limited power, limited medical care, etc, it would truly be a nightmare.

As it is they'll have a miserable night and day but they'll recover. It could have been a great deal worse.

Regarding repairs, I'm no expert, but a fire that flashes over after 3 hours is very hot. Even steel is weakened after exposure to a hot fire, as we might recall from 9/11. I would expect a painstaking repair process.

You can cancel your Southwest tickets and bank the flight costs for one year.

We payed SouthWest for the cheap "Wanna Get Away" fare, says non-refundable on their web page...

I'll call them in the morning & see what my option are just in case...

What do you think they deserve?

CCL:

"Guests on the current voyage will be receiving a full refund along with

reimbursement for transportation costs. Additionally, they will receive a

complimentary future cruise equal to the amount paid for this voyage."

Sounds good, but there will still be many complaining and wanting more:rolleyes:

We payed SouthWest for the cheap "Wanna Get Away" fare, says non-refundable on their web page...

I fly Southwest all the time. Yes, the fare is "non-refundable" which in the case of Southwest means that they won't give you your money back. However, if you cancel (even just hours before the flight), you will get a credit for the fare(s) which you can use on a future flight(s) within 1 year (of your original booking date - not of the date of travel). You can even cancel on the website. Just make sure you keep a record of the confirmation number(s) from your current reservation(s). You will need to enter it when you book your future flight to "apply travel funds" to the cost of your future flight. If your next flight is cheaper, the remaining credit can be used toward yet another ticket. You can apply credits from multiple canceled reservations to a single ticket as well. Just make sure you use your credit before it expires!

Check out the following table on Southwest's website:

http://www.southwest.com/flight/pop_fareCompare.html

The section on "Reusable Funds" (second to the last entry) and footnote 3.

Their policy makes me tend to book as soon as I've made my travel plans, because I can always cancel and rebook (leaving myself a credit for future use) if the fare drops, yet I'm protected against fare increases. Also, if my plans change, I just cancel the reservation. Of course, that means that sometimes I have a lot of travel funds on several confirmation numbers to keep track of....

It is non-refundable, but the money can be used up to one year from initial booking towards Southwest tickets to anywhere they fly.

I fly Southwest all the time. Yes, the fare is "non-refundable" which in the case of Southwest means that they won't give you your money back. However, if you cancel (even just hours before the flight), you will get a credit for the fare which you can use on a future flight(s) within 1 year. You can even cancel on the website. Just make sure you keep a record of the confirmation number from your current reservation. You will need to enter it when you book your future flight to "apply travel funds" to the cost of your future flight. And make sure you use it before it expires!

Great, that makes me feel better...

Will wait it out & hope for the best...

Thanks again...

We fly SW all the time and book the "Wanna Get Away" fare. It is non-refundable but you can change your airfare for free at anytime. Meaning if you find a cruise out of Florida, you can change your flights without paying a fee. You would, of course, be responsible for any difference in price.

That is what travel insurance is for.

Ewe!! that sounds like no fun at all

I suspect, although I don't know for sure.. that the ship is going to be out of commission for some time.. repairs, then inspections, then have to make sure it's all cleared again to sail.. i'm thinking weeks if not months at least. it's not like taking your car in for a tune up.. this is a big larger than life ship.. and we don't know how extensive the fire was and what all it damaged. :eek:

What is wrong with this comment??? It's fact - THAT IS WHAT TRAVEL INSURANCE IS FOR.

Carnival can hardly be expected to re-imburse travel costs for future cruise arrangements.

Now don't get all excited...

SouthWest will give us a credit for a future flight...

Carnival should give us a refund or apply our fare to a future cruise...

Now don't get all excited...

SouthWest will give us a credit for a future flight...

Carnival should give us a refund or apply our fare to a future cruise...

So why should Carnival refund your Airfare?

Southwest will give you a credit and Carnival would refund your cruise fare - what more do you want?

Sometimes things just happen and it can be unfortunate but why do people always want $$$ from someone?

Archived