VH to VB Upgrade?? New to guaranteed room!

fl_couple

We are booked on our first Holland America cruise aboard the Westerdam and just received our room assignment (6153) which is a VB upgraded from a guaranteed VH.

Can any of you experienced cruisers tell me if we did ok?

Also, we were not offered an upsell offer, and am wondering if they might do that on the day of the sailing?

Thanks for your help from a newbie! :)

We are booked on our first Holland America cruise aboard the Westerdam and just received our room assignment (6153) which is a VB upgraded from a guaranteed VH.

Also, we were not offered an upsell offer, and am wondering if they might do that on the day of the sailing?

Thanks for your help from a newbie! :)

Today I just booked the Westerdam for February 4 and booked an SZ guarantee. You can go to HAL's website, pull up the ship, deck plan and see exactly where your stateroom is located. A VB is an upgrade from a VH. I believe it is in the aft section of the ship.

We have never had a guarantee before either, so it should be interesting to see where we end up. I haven't been on the Westerdam before, but have cruised on the Oosterdam, Veendam, Noordam and Eurodam. All of the ships are absolutely beautiful and the service is superior to any other cruise line we have traveled.

The VH is the lowest grade Verandah and is usually the grade they sell at the advertised teaser rate for Verandahs. They are all the way in the front of the ship on the upper Promenade deck cabins 4001-4004, and are the only VH's on the ship, have a metal railing that blocks the view and smaller patio area because of the taper of the ships bow.

A VB is the second highest grade of the regular Verandas and is much higher up on the ship. Your cabin is on the starboard side toward the aft which makes for a smoother ride, so I would say you did very well.

They could have put us in the basement and we would have been happy, so I am thinking we did great! I do like having the full view balcony (and also a tub!).

We did get a great rate on the verandah room, so am thrilled with their selection!

Now the final countdown begins!

You got a very nice upgrade! They may give another free upgrade or make an upsell offer on embarkation day or slightly before, but it isn't very likely. The free second upgrade happened to us once ... on our most recent cruise.

We were on he Zuiderdam (carbon copy of the Westerdam) in Sept-October and had a guarantee VH. Got assigned VB. Major differences: tub and shower vs shower only; clear railing panels vs solid metal; two decks higher (not sure that is an advantage); a little further back from the bow. This appears to be a common upgrade for VH guarantees.

we just booked a Handicapped cabin, Main deck-- any chance of getting an upgrade to a BETTER handicapped cabin??:confused:

Slim chance. There's so fewer cabins to upgrade you to. And, since most handicap cabins are booked well in advance, they are more likeky to be taken already.

However, it can happen. There have been many reports of guarantee passengers being assigned to handicap cabins that were not booked, so there could be a place to upgrade you to.

Archived