Getting from St. Malo to Mont St. Michele on own?

janmcn

Is it possible to get from St. Malo where we dock to Mont St. Michele on our own via any public transportation? We'd like to "do" MSM on our own and have time to still explore St. Malo.

Thanks. (I've read a lot of threads here, but haven't really found the answer.)

Short answer is yes if taxi's are on your list of public transport. If you are trying to take buses I think you would take too much time in conneciton (if it is even possible). Rental car is another option. You will want to see St. Malo and that takes a fair bit of the day.

If you do consider St. Malo, check the tide table to see what the condisitons will be when you go.

Short answer is yes if taxi's are on your list of public transport. If you are trying to take buses I think you would take too much time in conneciton (if it is even possible). Rental car is another option. You will want to see St. Malo and that takes a fair bit of the day.

If you do consider St. Malo, check the tide table to see what the condisitons will be when you go.

I agree that you can do both,but it depends on your time in port as well and if you just want to "see" both go for it,but IMHO I would pick one to really explore as they are both really neat places and need to have one's time to see them.Both are fun to explore and St.Malo has some really good places to eat as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Keep in mind that this would be an approximately 40 mile trip (one way) which means that taxis will cost hundreds of Euros. A less costly option would be to simply rent a car (driving in France is quite easy). Train travel is not possible to Mont St Michel and bus option are probably not practical (we have not looked at all the possibilities for buses).

Hank

• 1 month later...

If it is during the summer, there are more public transportation options (see here for last year, should be renewed in 2011, but it still takes about 2 hours to go from Saint-Malo to Mont Saint Michel, with a change in Pontorson... and this works only in July & August).

Your best bet would probably be indeed to rent a car for the day.

Thought I would add a little fact (and humor) about parking at Mont St Michel. They have a huge parking area just outside the city in a large open area just below the road. But, this huge parking lot happens to be in the area that flood at high tide. So they have warning signs (not sure if they were in English) telling you what time you need to move your car...or you would find it under water.

Hank

Archived