Carnival Splendor vs Celebrity Century Cruise Interruption

mississauga

I followed the Celebrity debacle, and like every other person on the Carnival board, I didn't move off the forums til the Splendor was home safe and sound...

Yes, Celebrity dropped the ball. Carnival's response has been outstanding.

However, Carnival had at least 48 hours, probably more to start making hotel reservations, refunding credit cards, getting travel information for the guests before they ever arrived at the dock.

Celebrity was in Europe, during a strike, with 12 hours to accomplish what they could from their offices in the US.

Should Celebrity have done right by their guests? Absolutely. But cut them a little slack for circumstances at the time.

(Though, it being a month later and people still not receiving refunds or even communication of any kind....... that's just poor customer service all the way around and I hope they do take lessons from Carnival)

I followed the Celebrity debacle, and like every other person on the Carnival board, I didn't move off the forums til the Splendor was home safe and sound...

Yes, Celebrity dropped the ball. Carnival's response has been outstanding.

However, Carnival had at least 48 hours, probably more to start making hotel reservations, refunding credit cards, getting travel information for the guests before they ever arrived at the dock.

Celebrity was in Europe, during a strike, with 12 hours to accomplish what they could from their offices in the US.

Should Celebrity have done right by their guests? Absolutely. But cut them a little slack for circumstances at the time.

(Though, it being a month later and people still not receiving refunds or even communication of any kind....... that's just poor customer service all the way around and I hope they do take lessons from Carnival)

Yes, I was also following the Century situation daily. And between your post and Tom's post, I see that you guys have made some outstanding observations:

1. Carnival knew that the entire World -- every media out there -- was watching and they rose to the occassion. The Century had a mechanical problem somewhere in Europe and there was no media coverage that I can think of.

2. Carnival had a lot more time to plan for the logistics once the ship arrives -- plane tickets, hotels, etc. Celebrity had a lot less time to plan for all that plus they were facing a strike!

3. Carnival pretty much wrote the book on how to handle a crisis at sea. This would be a model for many cruise lines to follow in the future should similar incidents occur.

4. Between Carnival and Celebrity, Carnival is definitely the "perceived" winner. However, I remain firm on my position that you cannot compare apples with oranges. These are two completely different sets of circumstances. :)

Yes, I was also following the Century situation daily. And between your post and Tom's post, I see that you guys have made some outstanding observations:

1. Carnival knew that the entire World -- every media out there -- was watching and they rose to the occassion. The Century had a mechanical problem somewhere in Europe and there was no media coverage that I can think of.

2. Carnival had a lot more time to plan for the logistics once the ship arrives -- plane tickets, hotels, etc. Celebrity had a lot less time to plan for all that plus they were facing a strike!

3. Carnival pretty much wrote the book on how to handle a crisis at sea. This would be a model for many cruise lines to follow in the future should similar incidents occur.

4. Between Carnival and Celebrity, Carnival is definitely the "perceived" winner. However, I remain firm on my position that you cannot compare apples with oranges. These are two completely different sets of circumstances. :)

Okay.. but why after a month are PAX from Celebrity still awaing refunds:confused: not comparing apples to oranges.. but dollar to dollar:D

Okay.. but why after a month are PAX from Celebrity still awaing refunds:confused: not comparing apples to oranges.. but dollar to dollar:D

They have not yet refunded the promised (cruise fare) amount? :eek: If that is really the case, I feel that's inexcusable.

Perhaps they are really short on cash and are waiting for more future bookings to come in and cover their a$$ ! (Just kidding here... I hope!)

After all, recall that RCL had trouble finding a finance source for the Oasis OTS (over a BILLION $) --- whereas Carnival pays for their new builds with CASH! ;)

Tom

DW teaches public relations at a major university. She says she is going to use Carnival's handling of the Splendor incident as a case study in how to manage a disaster. From the way they were in front of the media the entire time, to the way they treated the passengers on board to the honesty in the John Heald blog, they did it about as well as it could be done.

She went into a lot more detail, but she's a professor so she can't help herself.

Yes, Carnival did these passengers right, and no, Celebrity did not. However, you are choosing 2 specific incidents that make one look good and the other bad. Carnival has also had incidents in the past where they did not do things right.

I remember stories of one of the hurricanes during the 04-05 seasons where Carnival dumped everyone off at a different port and they had to fend for themselves.

Media attention is a big factor on how these companies respond to incidents. Carnival and Splendor were getting a lot of bad media that was somewhat softened by Carnival's offer.

Yes, Carnival did these passengers right, and no, Celebrity did not. However, you are choosing 2 specific incidents that make one look good and the other bad. Carnival has also had incidents in the past where they did not do things right.

I remember stories of one of the hurricanes during the 04-05 seasons where Carnival dumped everyone off at a different port and they had to fend for themselves.

Media attention is a big factor on how these companies respond to incidents. Carnival and Splendor were getting a lot of bad media that was somewhat softened by Carnival's offer.

Yes, Carnival does not have a perfect track record! Plus, this time they knew that MANY people were watching. Even if there had been NO media attention though, I would still hope (trying to be optimistic!) that Carnival would have treated their guests just the same, as this event was pushing people to the limit (held "captive" in a huge can)!! :eek:

Tom

I agree, you cant say Carnival will always do this. Maybe they learned their lesson about handling things poorly doesnt pay off in customer loyalty. I know I still will forever say they handling the Ike Conquest cruise poorly .. and we got nothing other than $25 for missing Caymans.

That whole indecision thing can drive pax nuts when you dont know what to expect. People always say "well carnival did the best they can". .. if that is so they need to hire some people who can do better... and finally they did. John seems to have gotten the help needed and communicated well. Too bad we were stuck with a substitute CD who was so clueless and new.

Personally, I don't think anyone should harshly judge any cruise line based on one event.

I think if you look back over the cruising years, you will find where all cruise lines have excelled and all cruise lines have dropped the ball at any given time.

I think the passengers involved will ultimately decide "who" they are the most comfortable with and "who" they want to cruise with again. And hopefully that decision will be made based on the WHOLE...not just one PART.

(caps for emphasis...not screaming...way to early for screaming this morning)

:D

Do you still not understand the two situations are completely different? Why should the Celebrity pax have the same compensation? The Splendor pax had no working toilet for hours, no light in cabin, been eating mayo and beet sandwiches among other things and taking cold showers for four days. They had the Coast Guards on their left and the Navy on their right. Many pax in inside cabins had to sleep on the open deck.

For the record, I haven't cruised on either Carnival or Celebrity. However...despite the two being different you can compare them.

Let's look at the 10/14 sailing of Splendor and what was offered vs. the Celebrity incident.

Carnival (10/14 Sailing):

-Receiving Full Refund

-Carnival picking up the cost all transportation costs

-25% off next cruise

-Given notice at the last minute

Celebrity:

-Receiving Full refund

-Celebrity has agreed to pick up the change fee for the flight

-25% off next cruise

-Everyone stuck in France on their own.

It seems to me that Carnival is treating its passengers a little bit better by picking up the entire cost of the transportation. This was also done right away and without having to have one's trip interrupted and being given virtually no assistance by the cruiseline. I think that would have certainly helped in Celebrity's case if they had managed to provide better assistance in helping people rebook flights, etc.

Yes, Carnival does not have a perfect track record! Plus, this time they knew that MANY people were watching. Even if there had been NO media attention though, I would still hope (trying to be optimistic!) that Carnival would have treated their guests just the same, as this event was pushing people to the limit (held "captive" in a huge can)!! :eek:

Tom

The first day when they announced the compensation, there were only 17 news hits on Google for the Carnival Splendor. The next day, it was well over 1,000. Sure they probably expected it to hit the news, but not nearly in such a big way.

The first day when they announced the compensation, there were only 17 news hits on Google for the Carnival Splendor. The next day, it was well over 1,000. Sure they probably expected it to hit the news, but not nearly in such a big way.

it was a relatively slow 'news week' also, which granted higher coverage.

if, for instance, this had happened 1 week prior, in the midst of midterm coverage, it would not have gotten as much exposure. but as it was, the president fled washington for asia, the 'news' were already done talking about the tsunami of a midterm election, and the splendor 'incident' was covered as the lead fluff piece of the week. :rolleyes:

Do you still not understand the two situations are completely different? Why should the Celebrity pax have the same compensation? The Splendor pax had no working toilet for hours, no light in cabin, been eating mayo and beet sandwiches among other things and taking cold showers for four days. They had the Coast Guards on their left and the Navy on their right. Many pax in inside cabins had to sleep on the open deck.

The Century, due to a mechanical problem, had to cancel a 12-day cruise on day 2 and gave everyone a FULL refund of the cruise. Oh... by the way, the pax were stranded in, guess where, the beautiful southern tip of France. Check into a hotel, book a few tours and have a great time!

Just like the Splendor incident, there are those who made lemonade out of lemons and those who will just whine and cry. You quoted some of the whiner's posts. Did you read all the posts that were positive?

I was on the century to celebrate my ruby wedding anniversary which obviously was a non event. However I appreciate that the splendour incident was an emergency BUT your remarks about book an hotel etc and enjoy I find quite an insult, We would have loved to continue our holiday but due to french strikes we saw NOWHERE except villafranche and although pretty wouldnt want to stay longer than 2 days we there, also because of the lack of communication and us having to arrange our own transportation within 24 hrs we felt we had NO option but to arrange flights home. We are seasoned travellers but the way celebrity dealt and continue to deal with this situation is appalling. Although I feel for the splendour cruisers at least they have been kept informed and had refund we to date have not have any refund or any communication from celebrity. Dont think you should make comments when you didnt see the terrible chaotic situation on celebrity for the short time we were on

Sorry i'm curious as which Carnival cruise you have been on to make the comparison?:confused:

(my pom poms are waving in the air):p

Well, let's be fair then. The OP has never sailed Celebrity either, but "just couldn't resist" seeking out a scathing review to send to her friend.:rolleyes: And we all know there are none of those on the Carnival board, right?;)

I've been on both Carnival and Celebrity and like both. I have upcoming cruises on both Carnival and the Celebrity Century, so I followed both stories closely.

Yes, the circumstances were different which mostly explains the very different messages each company sent, but I find the focus of each company very interesting.

The Carnival message focused on the people -- the current and future passengers and the crew. The Celebrity focus was the ship. There were daily updates on the Celebrity home page that the ship had reached dry dock and how repairs were going. Passengers were only mentioned initially in that they would get refunds. Crew, as far as I read, was never mentioned at all.

Because both events occurred within weeks of each other, people are bound to compare them. Carnival, by focusing its message on the people, is likely to come out ahead in the public opinion. I'm sure it's a learning experience for many companies. At least I hope so!

I was on the century to celebrate my ruby wedding anniversary which obviously was a non event. However I appreciate that the splendour incident was an emergency BUT your remarks about book an hotel etc and enjoy I find quite an insult, We would have loved to continue our holiday but due to french strikes we saw NOWHERE except villafranche and although pretty wouldnt want to stay longer than 2 days we there, also because of the lack of communication and us having to arrange our own transportation within 24 hrs we felt we had NO option but to arrange flights home. We are seasoned travellers but the way celebrity dealt and continue to deal with this situation is appalling. Although I feel for the splendour cruisers at least they have been kept informed and had refund we to date have not have any refund or any communication from celebrity. Dont think you should make comments when you didnt see the terrible chaotic situation on celebrity for the short time we were on

I'm sorry you were treated so poorly. :(

I think we all need to remember however, that prior to the outstanding way CCL handled the Splendor incident, their track record for handling other incidents was not always so glowing......

My hope is that the beards at CCL (and maybe the other cruise lines) will see that doing the RIGHT thing is always beneficial in the end. The awesome publicity that CCL got from this whole horror is bound to wind up bringing them some added revenue when all is said and done.

It's not what life tosses at you but how you handle it that makes the difference...that goes for the cruise line as WELL as the passengers. How CCL handled this is what made the difference.

Interesting. I have a friend who will be cruising aboard the Celebrity Century in March, and she is very nervous. She has never cruised before. It is a free cruise that she won. What I'd like to know is more details about the incident aboard Century to which you refer. When did this occur? Can you give me a synopsis of the details? I could do a search, but since you seem to know, I figured I'd ask. Thanks in advance.

My wife and I were on this cruise, and it was not so much that we blame Celebrity for the damage to the rudders, which could have happened to any ship. The problem was with the chaotic, stressful manner they put you off the ship in a foreign country, and the conflicting information on what they would do for you after. Please read my review.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=74783

The indicents were different, yes. Apples and oranges? Maybe apples and pears, I dunno.

But why can't we compare the cruise line responses to these albeit different situations?

Imagine being on the highway, and passing two cars on the side of the road, both in need of help:

• The first car has a flat tire. My response is to give the driver the number to the Auto Club (not knowing whether he is a member or has a cell phone) and spit in his face.

• The second car is on fire. My response is to get an extinguisher and put out the fire.

Different situations require different responses, indeed. Yet one clearly warranted a better response.

Enjoy your day. :)

First Spam....and now this??? I've never had a 'stipend,' but it certainly doesn't sound appetizing. Why not just give these poor folks some extra $$ and let them choose to eat what they want?

just wow :rolleyes:

sweetie, thats what a "stipend" is. dialy money for food. if not all spent they can keep the rest.

People, people. He's kidding-being facetious-pulling your leg, okay?:)

Yes, they were offered the option of a free 10-hour bus ride to Barcelona. A bus ride because due to the massive strikes, flights were hard to book.

You are quoting all the whiners and all the negatives. To be fair, I have to let everyone on this board (who don't visit the Celebrity board often) know that just like the Splendor incident, there are plenty of people who make lemonade out of lemons and remained positive about the whole situation.

For those who are not familiar with the situation, here are excerpts from a few posts just from the first few pages of a 70 or so page thread:

I appreciate your viewpoint, but not everyone can do what these people did. We were traveling with a more elderly couple whose husband is pre-Alzheimers, and has difficulty with changes in itinerary. That is why we booked on a premier cruise line, so if there was a problem we thought they would take care of us, more along the lines of how Carnival treated their Splendor passengers. Maybe we are not representative of the average passenger on the Century, but I did note that the age makeup was more like a Holland-America cruise. The other elderly passengers on this cruise also were perplexed at their "handling", many not being tech savvy, and in need of help to change their air tickets, or travel plans. Maybe Celebrity needs two classes of customer service, one for younger, physically able, and tech savvy, and one for elderly, physically challenged, and not tech savvy. I think we all realize that there are no guarantees when you travel, but you expect a cruise line whose company motto is "we pride ourselves on delivering a cruise vacation that exceeds your expectations" to deliver that level of service both when things go smoothly, AND when the #!$&*! hits the rudders.

Archived