Travel insurance

aussiespirit

We are booked on Rhapsody of the Seas to cruise from Perth to Sydney via Tasmania and New Zealand. I am finding it very hard to find a company that will insure for the whole cruise, its either New Zealand OR Australia, or you have to go international which really bungs the price up, we are over 70yrs so our insurance is high enough as it is.

What does everyone else do on these cruises, we have even toyed with the idea of not taking insurance as we will be in Australian waters and ports for about 12 days then New Zealand ports for 4 days (NZ has reciprical health care for Aussies ). I have got quotes so far, classing it as an international cruise, and these range from $325-00 to $550, considering we are going to be doing most of our travelling in Australia I think these quotes are shocking. I will be most interested to hear from anyone who has found a good deal.

Seeing as your question is about travel insurance, and not about "Ports of Call", you may want to take your question over to the main board. You'd likely get a lot of great answers there, where far more people would see your question.

Travel insurance is about more than just health insurance. It can also include trip cancellation insurance and baggage. So, if you had to cancel the entire trip, you'd lose all the money you'd invested in the trip, if you did not have insurance. You have to weigh how much the travel insurance will cost you, against how much you stand to lose. If you don't mind losing what you've invested in this trip (airfares, hotel, cruise, etc), then that part of it may not be an issue.

BUT, the cost of health care certainly is an issue. I don't know specifically about Australia, but here in Canada where we also have government provided Health Care, I know there are some procedures that are NOT covered. Having emergency care on a cruise ship, and/or having to be air lifted to the nearest hospital from the ship - these things can easily cost in the tens of thousands of dollars. And if they are not specifically covered by government Health Care, well, you'll be facing a really big bill.

At your age, or at any age, I personally would not take the chance of not having travel insurance - unless I was more than willing to lose what I'd invested in the trip, and unless I was more than willing to pay those large sums out of pocket myself (or else find assurance that each and every emergency (and non-emergency) medical procedure would be covered by my government Health Care plan).

For a couple of 70yr olds, and assuming you want comprehensive accident/cancellation/health cover those quotes don't seem excessive at all. Higher travel insurance is one of the "joys" of getting older. Sorry. My mother is 77 and uses a company in Adelaide who seem to be the cheapest for her travel insurance. I can't give you the name here but if you email me at my CC username at yahoo.com I will gladly give you their number.

You could risk not getting insurance but you just know that as surely as night follows day if you don't have any, something will happen to make you regret it.

Maybe post on the P&O Australia board.

You would be foolish not to take out insurance, how much would it cost if you had to be medi evacuated from the ship?

Have a look at these threads: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1176269&highlight=travel+insurance

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1226074&highlight=travel+insurance+worldcare

And this one was asking directly about over 70 year old insurance:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1050185&highlight=travel+insurance+worldcare

Try also looking at Canstar an independent website http://www.canstar.com.au/travel-insurance/

Would you be better booking 2 insurances, for the dates in Aussie waters, and the other when you go to NZ. Let us know how you get on.

I agree with room010's comments. There's pluses and minuses in everything, but the prices quotes appear realistic. The insurance companies have more payouts as people get older so they need to be able to cover the costs of all those things. If something goes wrong, people want the insurance company to cover them for tens of thousands, not just take the budget priced approach.

When we're young we pay more in car insurance - even if we don't have an accident, because statistically more young people do. And when older, there are more injuries, accidents and illnesses.

Would you be better booking 2 insurances, for the dates in Aussie waters, and the other when you go to NZ. Let us know how you get on.

From my recollection of policies, they need to cover the time from departure rather than just specific dates on the trip. I could be wrong – or there may be exceptions – but if you want to go down this path, verify that it is actually permitted first.

Hi Aussiespirit, I feel your pain... I've just been through the same rigmarole because my Mum is over 70 and we are doing Australia/NZ. In the end I just paid it. As far as I can tell, being airlifted is not covered by Medicare, and while I hope that is never necessary, I don't want to be stuck paying $30-50,000 if it is. :eek:

Hi Aussiespirit, I feel your pain... I've just been through the same rigmarole because my Mum is over 70 and we are doing Australia/NZ. In the end I just paid it. As far as I can tell, being airlifted is not covered by Medicare, and while I hope that is never necessary, I don't want to be stuck paying $30-50,000 if it is. :eek:

The bill might be enough to give you a heart attack!

• 2 months later...

Something I have not seen any refernce to on this thread is "Pre Existing Conditions" (PEC)

Just about anyone that is at middle age or beyond will have some sort of PEC, and many (like myself) will have the usual Heart, blood pressure and diabetics controlled by medication.

The insurance companies will be happy to insure you - except they will specifically exclude any liability for anything relating to a PEC. Essentially that means you have to self insure for those risks.:eek:

From my research I am sure that there is cover available for the "South Pacific" which includes all the South sea islands, Aust and NZ - but again if you have a PEC you can't insure it.

Cheers

Do you have some sort of PLATINUM visa card.

Some credit cards offer you travel insurance- ours offers up to 3 months-

you never know how good they are going to be though until you have to use them:mad:[/quote

We book using our CBA credit card and we get free insurance through that, never had to use it yet, fingers crossed.

Stevo

Obamacare eliminates the PEC.

US medical insurance is not going to cover in this kind of case so it is quite irrelevant what the changed Medical conditions are in the US. Please note that in the case in point even the local government sponsored medical isn't going to be of help.

Pre existing conditions are still a problem for travel insurance as it is not strictly health care.:eek:

US medical insurance is not going to cover in this kind of case so it is quite irrelevant what the changed Medical conditions are in the US. Please note that in the case in point even the local government sponsored medical isn't going to be of help.

Pre existing conditions are still a problem for travel insurance as it is not strictly health care.:eek:

AARP has medigap policies that cover you outside the USA. You pay up front and they reimburse 80% after an annual $250 deductible. PEC is not an issue.

If you are travelling more than once in a year, annual travel insurance is a lot cheaper. I just renewed ours, no excess, and over 70 years for $581 worldwide. Last year it was only $457 !!! I don't think I can name the company but it is a well known travel insurance company. email me at prerel@gmail.com if you want more information.

Preston

Something I have not seen any refernce to on this thread is "Pre Existing Conditions" (PEC)

Just about anyone that is at middle age or beyond will have some sort of PEC, and many (like myself) will have the usual Heart, blood pressure and diabetics controlled by medication.

The insurance companies will be happy to insure you - except they will specifically exclude any liability for anything relating to a PEC. Essentially that means you have to self insure for those risks.:eek:

From my research I am sure that there is cover available for the "South Pacific" which includes all the South sea islands, Aust and NZ - but again if you have a PEC you can't insure it.

Cheers

My on line insurance has a list of preexisting conditions, controlled by medication, which it automatically covers. Of course, you have to read this with exclusions.

We are booked on Rhapsody of the Seas to cruise from Perth to Sydney via Tasmania and New Zealand. I am finding it very hard to find a company that will insure for the whole cruise, its either New Zealand OR Australia, or you have to go international which really bungs the price up, we are over 70yrs so our insurance is high enough as it is.

What does everyone else do on these cruises, we have even toyed with the idea of not taking insurance as we will be in Australian waters and ports for about 12 days then New Zealand ports for 4 days (NZ has reciprical health care for Aussies ). I have got quotes so far, classing it as an international cruise, and these range from $325-00 to $550, considering we are going to be doing most of our travelling in Australia I think these quotes are shocking. I will be most interested to hear from anyone who has found a good deal.

Yes, I think that is expensive for 12 days Pacific cover. Pacific is much cheaper than worldwide international insurance cover.

I just put a quick dummy quote in with my on line insurance and the cost was $66 pp. Of course, you would need to check the fine print that the insurance policy suits your individual needs.

Proof of a good insurance company is when they pay out in full, when you claim. This company did!

• 3 weeks later...

Just asked for a quote for a well known Aust company and I was amazed.

It was $124.37 for 10 day cruise, for two people in their 60s.

The fellow told me what it covers and it seems to include everything.

Are we allowed to name the Company. It is a Seniors' one.

Thank you. :D

Archived