obstructed balcony QM2

Alba50

I'm sure this has come up more than once on this board. I recently booked a guaranteed oceanview for my cruise. I have had an oceanview before and I really enjoyed the view from the window and on a transatlantic it was perfect. However I just got word from Cunard that I have been upgraded to an ubstructed balcony on deck 8. I understand there are lifeboats right in front. Has anyone had this cabin before? Is it clostrophobic not seing out? Do you get any sun on the balcony? And did anyone actully sit out and use the balcony? This will be a Caribean crossing so I would be happy if I could have a little sun on the balcony even if I can't see out? Thank You I appreciate your comments. Regards

I'm sure this has come up more than once on this board. I recently booked a guaranteed oceanview for my cruise. I have had an oceanview before and I really enjoyed the view from the window and on a transatlantic it was perfect. However I just got word from Cunard that I have been upgraded to an ubstructed balcony on deck 8. I understand there are lifeboats right in front. Has anyone had this cabin before? Is it clostrophobic not seing out? Do you get any sun on the balcony? And did anyone actully sit out and use the balcony? This will be a Caribean crossing so I would be happy if I could have a little sun on the balcony even if I can't see out? Thank You I appreciate your comments. Regards

I had one on Deck 8 last week and I had a slight view between two lifeboats (8094). It was only two days so it was immaterial to me but I wouldn't want it for a Caribbean trip. The sun does shine down but there is this big lump just off your balcony. :(

Edited by capnpugwash

Thank-you.

A North American, American ..eh.. ;)

Born and Bred.

Our ally and northern neighbor, Canada does have some wonderful and lovely Provinces and Territories.

You sound like a Canadian, eh.

Col_John_Harvie408x600.jpg.d5a87b738c2e44a266184a698e817307.jpg

Edited by AAAAmerican

Do you know the number of the obstructed view cabin you have been assigned? Some have better views than others.

Cabin 8033 and it looks like it is right bang in the middle off a big lifeboat.Ohhhh well at least there will be fresh ocean air and lots of ports. I will have to sit out on the balcony at night listening to the sea with my eyes closed imagining what is beyond the Zodiac haaa. Funny how I was happy with the oceanview but now thinking I should just have booked the balcony hmmm, ohhh well we live and learn.

Interesting as to why an A4 is higher than a B4 I would much rather have the hull balcony that the A4. Why do Cunard class it as a better cabin? Makes no sense to me, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Edited by Alba50

Cabin 8033 and it looks like it is right bang in the middle off a big lifeboat.Ohhhh well at least there will be fresh ocean air and lots of ports. I will have to sit out on the balcony at night listening to the sea with my eyes closed imagining what is beyond the Zodiac haaa. Funny how I was happy with the oceanview but now thinking I should just have booked the balcony hmmm, ohhh well we live and learn.

Interesting as to why an A4 is higher than a B4 I would much rather have the hull balcony that the A4. Why do Cunard class it as a better cabin? Makes no sense to me, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Why not phone cunard and ask them to put you back, im sure they will, but dont forget either one you will have to stand for the view, 8033 is not so bad

Deck 8 is handy for most things onboard especially Kings Court for drinks all hours. Most views on deck 8 are not great (no view) but must be better than an Oceanview.. Have a wonderful experience Alba50 keep your wallet handy youll be booking more trips soon.

Fred

If when you booked, you accepted the potential offer of an upgrade you cannot now rescind that. You are stuck woith what you have got I am afraid. If you didn't you might be all right.

Those obstructed view A4 cabins used not long ago to be designated as B6 and B5 category cabins and were the least expensive balcony staterooms. As such, they were much coveted by many, who preferred them over the in-hull balcony ones, and not only for the lower price.

Actually, they are said to be brighter than the in-hull cabins, as not only they have a glass railing, but the entire wall to the balcony is of glass, allowing much light to enter the cabin. Moreover they can be suitable for sunbathing, as the balcony is open to sun and air, contrary to the in-hull cabin where it is virtually impossible to lie in the sun.

Secondary advantages are that they are in the middle of the ship and less prone to the ship's movement (even though Deck 8 cannot be considered a lower deck) and they are close to King's Court, and in your case the Spa, the Library and the panoramic Commodore Club (one of the best venues on board) in the front. Easy access also to Todd English alternative restaurant and the aft pool.

Their great disadvantage is of course the lifeboats obstructing the view. But you will see that the lifeboats are rather far away from the cabin, allowing much air and light when sitting on the balcony.

A secondary disadbantage is that when lifeboat maintainance takes place, some of the ship's staff will be just outside of your balcony, so be prepared to close the light curtains. But at least in one port lifeboats will be lowered, and then you will have unlimited beautiful view.

All in all, a nice upgrade no doubt. You will perhaps miss the view from the window, but many people find the use of the balcony more than a generous reinbursement and would not return to a standard oceanview.

It's not that simple to get your old cabin back. That is probably long-gone and re-assigned to somebody else.

Here's a picture of 8037.

I did say they could ask,and they might if possible, they wont know if they dont try, we had this back in 2007 and they changed it back , they didnt like it, but after a good chat they agreed, if they dont ask they wont know

I was moved to 8102 halfway through this year's world cruise. Absolutely loved it, so much so that I booked it again for the 2012 world cruise. Was in 5193 before, an unobstructed balcony. Much preferred the obstructed one, though admittedly 8102 is one where you can see quite a bit between lifeboats.

Hello,

We had 8086 on last weeks TA. Plenty of light comes in so you will be ok with that. We also had a gap between the boats, so could see the ocean. I wouldn't want one of these cabins in the future though (unless it was an upgrade or the price was silly).

The location (Desk 8) is very good though.. just along to the Spa or Todd English.

So, although the view isn't great, the location is good.

Have a great time.

Regards,

David

But but ..with the Life Craft so close next to you in those balcony cabins... why do you need a Coast Guard Life Saving Drill Muster ? ..:eek:

J/K No matter how many times anyone cruises those are vital for survival.

In the recent ship+trips , cruise lines, they are becoming very laggard in these. Placing cruisers in the bars and lounges where your not even able to see and/or hear what the directions as well life boat locations are aboard..

• 2 years later...

My wife and I are booked into 8049 for the TA cruise departing on the 14th November. It's a change for us as we always opt for an inside stateroom as there's little to see crossing the Atlantic and we don't spend a lot of time in the stateroom anyway. Far to much to do. Very much looking forward to our first back to back cruise. Not sure how much 'shore time' we'll get in NYC or even if there are any excursions to be had.

capnpugwash: If you happen on a middle-aged balding, bearded guy with a camera or two be sure to say hello.. :D Or, perhaps, a noggin in the Commodore some time..

My wife and I are booked into 8049 for the TA cruise departing on the 14th November. It's a change for us as we always opt for an inside stateroom as there's little to see crossing the Atlantic and we don't spend a lot of time in the stateroom anyway. Far to much to do. Very much looking forward to our first back to back cruise. Not sure how much 'shore time' we'll get in NYC or even if there are any excursions to be had.

capnpugwash: If you happen on a middle-aged balding, bearded guy with a camera or two be sure to say hello.. :D Or, perhaps, a noggin in the Commodore some time..

Ha.. I think I'd better be in Southampton on the 12th..!!! Can you believe I got the date wrong at this late stage..!!!!! :rolleyes:

The Chart Room at 7.30 is normally a good place to find me :) I'll be the one in the aircast on my right ankle! BTW it departs on the 12th so make sure you don't miss it :)

Edited by capnpugwash