obstructed balcony QM2

Alba50

Couldn't think of a worse stateroom than an obstructed balcony. I'm curious as to why Cunard went ahead with these?

Obviously this is just my opinion, but to me it would've made more sense to have not had these staterooms as balconies. Instead, they could have been made into deluxe insides or obstructed (larger) ocean views.

A balcony with a giant orange lifeboat parked out front seems so wrong from a design point of view.

I guess if the ship sinks you could just jump in!

Couldn't think of a worse stateroom than an obstructed balcony. I'm curious as to why Cunard went ahead with these?

Obviously this is just my opinion, but to me it would've made more sense to have not had these staterooms as balconies. Instead, they could have been made into deluxe insides or obstructed (larger) ocean views.

A balcony with a giant orange lifeboat parked out front seems so wrong from a design point of view.

I guess if the ship sinks you could just jump in!

To each his/her own. Stephen Payne has often remarked that there was tremendous pressure to maximize the number of balcony staterooms as these command premium fares compared to inside or oceanview rooms of the same size. Many passengers who book the later would welcome a free upgrade to an obstructed view balcony since there is more natural light. I suppose somebody who is adverse to obstructed view accommodations should mark "do not upgrade" or book a category above. (Of course booking a very late fare deal means one has to take whatever is assigned.)

Couldn't think of a worse stateroom than an obstructed balcony.
How about an obstructed "balcony" without the balcony? The doors opened but there was a glass-fronted railing immediately outside the door. At least Carnival sells them as an Inside.

I booked two obstructed view cabins a couple of years ago when the prices were amazingly low. They were an alternative to flying to the UK to continue by air to Venice, where we began a Mediterranean cruise. We loved the cabins and still congratulate ourselves on the inexpensive and very enjoyable way we crossed to Europe. We have also sailed in the Grills and in sheltered balcony cabins on Queen Mary 2. We make our choices based on price, and really don't mind missing a view on a crossing as we are always so busy enjoying the ship's many interesting activities. For other itineraries, we like a better view.

Cabin 8033 and it looks like it is right bang in the middle off a big lifeboat.Ohhhh well at least there will be fresh ocean air and lots of ports. I will have to sit out on the balcony at night listening to the sea with my eyes closed imagining what is beyond the Zodiac haaa. Funny how I was happy with the oceanview but now thinking I should just have booked the balcony hmmm, ohhh well we live and learn.

Interesting as to why an A4 is higher than a B4 I would much rather have the hull balcony that the A4. Why do Cunard class it as a better cabin? Makes no sense to me, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Hi, im wondering if you have any pictures of this state room, as we have been upgraded to the exact same room funnily enough and would be grateful if you could show us what it will be like before we go on it in two weeks time :), Thankyou xxx

Hi, im wondering if you have any pictures of this state room, as we have been upgraded to the exact same room funnily enough and would be grateful if you could show us what it will be like before we go on it in two weeks time :), Thankyou xxx

According to Cunard, if you click on the link to stateroom 8032, what you see will be very much like the view you'll have from 8033. https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/qm2_obs

I stayed in this type of cabin once. Every time, I stepped out, some workers greeted me:o They were there washing the life boat or doing some maintenance. I could open the curtain only on the early morning or late evening.