First Time Cruiser - what do I bring?

blueyesdm

Hi there!

We will be going on the Mariner of the Seas Western Carribean on May 8th. I have absolutely no idea what to pack. I'm one of those people that always packs way too much! I understand that there are two formal nights, correct? And usually the first and last night you don't need to dress up as much, although I'll probably be in my wedding gown since since we are getting married that morning before! I always pack too many shoes too! I'm hoping I can stick with one pair of dressy shoes.

Does it get cool at all? Will I need to bring any sort of sweater or light jacket?

I keep seeing discussions about capris, I take it those are ok too, since you can dress them up a bit?

Any suggestions are appreciated! I'm already trying to make a list of what I am going to need. I'm just super excited!!

First, you need to relax. Just remember it is not a fashion show, it is a vacation. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking you need to buy a whole new wardrobe for a cruise. I use a chart, made up on my computer, of the days I'll be gone, then fill in those days with what you will be wearing. Realise that you can wear the same item 2 or even 3 times. There is laundry service aboard every ship. From this chart, I then make up a list of what needs to go in each bag, carry on, purse, garment bag and suitcase. For a 7 day cruise I would take the following:

3 bathing suits w/1 coverup (some ppl take only 1 or 2)

3 shorts outfits

1 - 2 sundresses

2 pair capris (casual nights) with 3 tops for casual nights

1 pair black (or your fav color) pants with 2 dressy tops for semi formal

1 long dress for formal night (you could wear your wedding gown)

1 short dress for formal night

comfortable sandals

flip flops for pool

sneakers

1 pair dressy shoes

enough bras and underwear for the entire week (don't skimp on this, you don't want laundry hanging in the tiny bathroom)

Minimal makeup and toiletries

a very small first aid kit

camera and plenty of film or memory

You will see packing lists all over these boards that, literally, go overboard (pun intended). The less you pack, the happier you will be and the easier it will be to travel and organize your week. If you see an item that you have to question what it is for, then you don't need it. Make sure your luggage is in good repair, your buttons and hems are in place. Manicure, pedicure, haircut, wax or tweeze do everything before you go (probably a no brainer since you will be ready for your wedding!). Leave all the paraphernalia at home.

We reduce our packing every time we cruise, I see it as poor planning (for myself) to come back with clean clothes. Sure, it's fun to have choices, but remember you have to pack, haul, organize, repack, haul again then laundry and put the stuff away. Not only that, but you may just find a really cute sundress on one of the islands!

Have fun planning!

Well, thanks for the suggestions! How much does the laundry service on the ship cost? I really don't want to bring seven pairs of shorts or anything anyways! haha And like you suggested I was going to make some sort of list or chart to help with my planning. I never really thought of wearing my wedding dress again to formal night, I could do that!

Thanks again :)

Here's a price list for you.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/onboardExtrasFaq.do;jsessionid=0000H_XAy3OVCo1EEMRzw61ggjX:v29bc4qk

Remember, you'll only have to get a couple of things laundered, not everything you bring along! We always seem to be able to wear a few things twice without laundering, also, like the pants you have on for dinner, a pair of shorts you only wore for 2 hours, etc....

I hope I didn't come off as mean spirited or to ruin your excitement. I've just been on these boards a long time (longer than my registration shows) and I cannot tell you how many times people seem so worried. Many times newcomers will get the idea that everyone onboard a cruise ship is dressed to the nines all the time. That is just not true, just a bunch of average, everyday nice people wearing average, everyday types of clothing. Many times I have read posts from returning first time cruisers saying how they didn't wear even half of what they took.

You have a wedding to plan, that's enough to make most of us crazy. The honeymoon is a time to relax and get over the stress you have been through.

Enjoy your honeymoon, it is so special.

happyks is giving you great advice. Her packing list looks pretty similar to mine. I leave for a cruise in about two and half weeks now and this is roughly what I'm planning on packing:

To wear on plane - blue chinos, t-shirt, polar fleece jacket, tennis shoes

(then I can wear the chinos and polar fleece for a couple of hours in the evenings. I'm always freezing in the air conditioning - so I like to have polar fleece to throw on - but I only need one. And if I wear it I don't have to pack it!)

2 swim suits - 1 wrap cover up

4 pairs of shorts

6 tank tops

6 t-shirts

1 knee length skirt

2 pairs casual pants (for casual nights)

2 light weight sweaters (remember, I'm always cold)

one long dress

one pashmina

one pair of fancy pants

one fancy shirt

2 nice, casual shirts

about 14 pairs of underwear! (I shower twice a day on a cruise, once in the morning and once before dinner - I can't put on dirty underwear! But underwear are small)

lots of bras (although, handily, a bunch of my tank tops have shelf bras, so that helps to cut down on the number I need)

one pair of fancy dress sandals

one pair of dressy casual sandals

one pair of sporty water sandals

one pair of pajamas

I think that's it for clothes - then I'm bringing a snorkel and a mask, two cameras, film, toiletries and makeup - but pretty light on both. A small backpack for going to shore. That's about it.

My best piece of advice though - pack a carry on that has essentials in it. This seems like common sense - but really think about what essentials are on a cruise.

When we went on our second cruise my husband and I packed everything into one suitcase. Fortunately I had thrown a pair of shorts and t-shirt in our carry-on bags, but that was it. The airline lost our luggage. We didn't see it again until 3 weeks after we had gotten home.

So now we pack everything in two suitcases - one big one that we check, and one small one that we carry on. My husband also carries a regular sized school backpack that we put stuff in.

What goes on my essential list:

2 pairs shorts each

2 t-shirts for husband, 2 tank tops for me

sandals

a couple pairs of underwear each

medicine

my face wash and face lotion (my face broke out terribly using their harsh stuff)

a little makeup (I had no makeup to hide my new zits!)

one at least semi nice outfit each for dinner

a swim suit for each of us

That's all we really *need* on a cruise. But I found out the hard way what we needed! Oy! I didn't even have sandals - I had my black loafers and black socks! Yeah, that looks great with shorts! And I have small feet (size 7) so I couldn't find sandals the right size for me. I finally bought size 9s just to have something to wear! I was traveling with my in-laws, but both my mother-in-law and my sister-in-law are much larger women than I am. So my sister-in-law gave me a t-shirt to sleep in, but that was about all they could do for me. I didn't have a swimsuit - so I had to buy one on the ship. I swear it is the world's ugliest swimsuit - it's truly hideous. But I was desperate!

So anyway - I don't mean to scare you with the lost luggage story - but just don't make my mistake - put more in your carry-on than we did!

Have a wonderful trip!

Oh eta - if you want to know what I pack for my husband let me know. He's even easier than I am! :)

Kathy:) your suggestions and lists for blueyes are excellent.

I even bring less than that...but then again I sail solo so maybe it is easier for me.

The sundresses stay home for me. I usually do really well, one suitcase and one carry on and I always have enough room.

I really think I have gotten better about packing. (more cruises, I learn more;) ).

Blueyes, Congratulations on the upcoming nuptuals and have a fantastic cruise:D

Some cruise lines have what they call semi-formal or non-formal. Think of it as somewhere in between casual and formal, dressy pant suits, cocktail length dresses, men in jackets with or without ties. I don't know if Carnival has semi-formal. It's actually the way I like to dress every night. I can do without the long gowns or sequins and beads, but I like to dress up.

Wow! I've learned so many good things from this board-especially by lurking around other people threads. :D

I love seeing the lists of what people actually packed. Very helpful! Also, the idea to make a chart for what you will wear! Great idea! I think I'll do this and then note on the chart when I get back what I needed that I didn't have or what I had that I didn't need. Then I can adjust what I pack for my next cruise. (See-I'm already thinking ahead to another cruise and I haven't been on the 1st one yet. Cruising is addictive! ;) )

You guys are full of great advice. :) I have a question concerning packing a carry on. I fly fairly often & have never had a lost bag. However, on our only other cruise, my DH's bag including his Tux was lost. You've gotten me worried that it may happen again. My question is: We are spending 3 nights in SF, prior to our cruise. Would you pack some clothes for both SF & the cruise, in our carry on, or just for SF? TIA :)

Archived