Is Platinum Worth it?

Brandonlees

I just figured you say platinum and everyone bows down to you when you board the ship. You just cut people in line and say PLATINUM and they respect you because of your platinum colored card. I figured that is how it will work for me in 4 more cruises haha just kidding.

I don't see where the platinum would benefit us other than boarding the ship before others. I wouldn't use the laundry service as I don't like people touching my undies, we wouldn't eat the canapes or strawberries due to dietary controls (diabetic). We're one cruise away from being platinum, however, we may not go on another cruise too soon due to the TSA pat downs now in effect. Not worth giving up our privacy to cruise.:mad:

Really??? You are done cruising because of TSA pat downs??? You only live once and you are hurting yourself. The TSA is in effect for all of our safety not because they want a cheap thrill. It's too bad you will not be travelling too much because of such a trivial thing.

I understand how platinum boarding works - you go to the platinum line for check-in. But how does disembarking work? How does Carnival assign the disembarking "zones" for platinum? Also, how do you make it known that you are platinum for the tenders without looking like you are breaking the long line trying to get to the tenders? How do you notify the cabin steward that th ebag of laundry you are leaving is not to be charged if you do not see him to hand it to him? Can you tell that my December cruise will be my platinum?:p

You will be zone 1 or 2, or it just says priority when you disembark.

For tenders, you are supposed to go to the purser's desk, then they bring you to the line to help you cut in. I havent found it saved me any time so far, but its nice.

On the bag of laundry, put platinum and the word FREE in big letters when you fill out the form with the pricing.

wow 40000 post how long have you been on here firefly? That is crazy how many cruises have you been on? seems like I see you everywhere on here.

Iv been cruising 6 or 7 times a year. Im now moving to RCL because Carnival has decided solos to be charged 200% and I can fly to Florida and cruise RCL cheaper, and my preference is RCL overall, even though I am platinum now on Carnival. I guess they did a study and dont want us solo cruisers. Has to be about the bottom line.

You will be zone 1 or 2, or it just says priority when you disembark.

For tenders, you are supposed to go to the purser's desk, then they bring you to the line to help you cut in. I havent found it saved me any time so far, but its nice.

On the bag of laundry, put platinum and the word FREE in big letters when you fill out the form with the pricing.

My cabin stewards have been doing that for me...

:)

Thank you for answering my questions! I really appreciate it.

One more question! Does platinum help at all in the long lines that sometimes form to get back on the ship from a port, ie Key West? Now that would be a great perk in itself, although I know that in some ports the lines don't seem to be as bad as what we experienced recently in Key West. Is there a "VIP" or "platinum" line to reboard the ship?

Really??? You are done cruising because of TSA pat downs??? You only live once and you are hurting yourself. The TSA is in effect for all of our safety not because they want a cheap thrill. It's too bad you will not be travelling too much because of such a trivial thing.

I was thinking the same thing. I look at it as an extra perk ;)

Iv been cruising 6 or 7 times a year. Im now moving to RCL because Carnival has decided solos to be charged 200% and I can fly to Florida and cruise RCL cheaper, and my preference is RCL overall, even though I am platinum now on Carnival. I guess they did a study and dont want us solo cruisers. Has to be about the bottom line.

I have to agree with you on this. RCL has better solo prices for the most part.

As for the original question.....I enjoy some of the Platinum perks, but it will never keep me from sailing another line. I certainly wouldn't turn down a cruise that I really wanted to do because it wasn't Carnival and I wouldn't get another point for it.

One more question! Does platinum help at all in the long lines that sometimes form to get back on the ship from a port, ie Key West? Now that would be a great perk in itself, although I know that in some ports the lines don't seem to be as bad as what we experienced recently in Key West. Is there a "VIP" or "platinum" line to reboard the ship?

Unfortunately there is no platinum line to get back on the ship. I really think they need 2 lines in some ports. One for old and/or handicapped and one for everyone else.

As for debarkation at the end of your cruise, there will be 2 options VIP self assist which are the 1st people off the ship and you meet at like 6:30 in one of the meeting rooms off the DR on the lobby deck and then Zone 1 which will be called after both the VIP self assist and general self assist is finished.

As far as I'm concerned they call all the methods in too rapid succession, so much as I would rather sleep in and have breakfast, I get up early on the last day to do VIP self assist. Thus making it the most dreaded and worst part of my cruise.

Unfortunately there is no platinum line to get back on the ship. I really think they need 2 lines in some ports. One for old and/or handicapped and one for everyone else.

As for debarkation at the end of your cruise, there will be 2 options VIP self assist which are the 1st people off the ship and you meet at like 6:30 in one of the meeting rooms off the DR on the lobby deck and then Zone 1 which will be called after both the VIP self assist and general self assist is finished.

As far as I'm concerned they call all the methods in too rapid succession, so much as I would rather sleep in and have breakfast, I get up early on the last day to do VIP self assist. Thus making it the most dreaded and worst part of my cruise.

Sounds like you are looking for special treatment across the board.....and dividing the passengers into "class" ! :eek:

Sounds like you are looking for special treatment across the board.....and dividing the passengers into "class" ! :eek:

they do that to board the ship .. no one says they are wanting classes or complains about that, why would this be class?

I think a lot of people who are platinum have also said they would like priority on tenders .. going back to the ship .. not just off the ship to the port.

Platinum allows you to get to the head of the line in tender ports returning to the ship.

At HMC we showed our cards to one of the security guys and he waited with us and we were the first ones onto the next tender.

While it's not a platinum perk to get into your cabin early, it's true that they are usually the 1st cabins made ready, but it is still an inconvenience for the cabin crews to have us back there before 1:30. Also, your cabin door is blocked open so they can be inspected so nothing you put in there is secure.

I've not experienced better table location based on being platinum, but I do enjoy guaranteed dining times, and now I always request Your Time Dining and it's confirmed at the time of booking instead of being wait listed.

The center of the DR are all large tables and I don't know of a way to get one other than to go to the MD upon boarding and ask if there are any openings.

Just heard from Carnival in this matter. Here's what I got in an email:

Hi Mach – This is not an official perk that we are offering to Platinum guests; if their cabins happen to be ready they may be taken in early but not an automatic thing.

:)

Platinum rooms seem to be cleaned first .

While its not a perk I have often dropped my luggage off to a clean and available room.

Just heard from Carnival in this matter. Here's what I got in an email:

Hi Mach – This is not an official perk that we are offering to Platinum guests; if their cabins happen to be ready they may be taken in early but not an automatic thing.

I believe i said that already :rolleyes:

But thanks for checkin :)

Platinum allows you to get to the head of the line in tender ports returning to the ship.

At HMC we showed our cards to one of the security guys and he waited with us and we were the first ones onto the next tender.

John Heald actually posted on one of his blogs that it is a platinum perk. Getting off and back on from the ports.

We are 1st time platinum in less than 2 weeks. Unfortunately we won't be able to test it as we are traveling with 4 new Carnival cruisers.

We enjoy the perks simply because they are there. If they weren't we'd still travel Carnival, just like we did for the 9 cruises without perks.
My wife and I are Platinum and enjoy:
The priority embarkation- This can be great if the lines are long
The laundry- As we normally travel as a family of four, so it keeps our packing down a bit. Especially with our kids.
The line at the desk- Nice to have if the other line is really busy
We love the priority dining- We always get the time we want and if we would like a change in location, they are normally able to help.
The chocolate strawberries are good too.
The picture frame we could do without.
Platinum stationary is cool, only for the fact I send letters to my family to tease them after the cruise. Otherwise, no biggie.

Also, when kids turn Platinum, they get arcade tokens as well. So my son is at 9 cruises and can't wait for his turn.

Just my two cents. Doesn't mean we don't like or enjoy other lines, but the perks are nice to have anyway.

[quote name='mississauga']John Heald actually posted on one of his blogs that it is a platinum perk. Getting off and back on from the ports.

We are 1st time platinum in less than 2 weeks. Unfortunately we won't be able to test it as we are traveling with 4 new Carnival cruisers.[/quote]

That is why we tried it. Never knew about this one until he mentioned it in his blog. Tried it and it worked with no problem.

[quote name='framerman']Never have had anything damaged............sorry u were unlucky[/quote]

Don't feel sorry for me ;). I have plenty of shirts.

I'm just glad that you guys have been damage free .

Won't stop me from cruising Carnival , just a bit more careful with what I send to be washed and folded :rolleyes:.

[quote name='travelntreats']Sounds like you are looking for special treatment across the board.....and dividing the passengers into "class" ! :eek:[/quote]

Huh? I read about people on these boards who sit armed with a flamethrower but jeez. Nobody said anything about dividing people into classes. This topic is to discuss the perks of platinum, which CARNIVAL put in place, not us. We are simply trying to understand what is involved in this program. I bet you also hate on people who fly first class, don't you? And shame on the airines who offer this because they do separate pax into "classes". :eek:

[quote name='Brandonlees']Thanks for all the input. Is there any other benifits seems there is a lot more then just free laundry service?[/quote]
I skimmed through the posts and don't think I saw this mentioned: They offer a behind the scenes tour of the kitchen for platinum guests. Unfortunately, no tours of other areas of the ship. And once you've done that tour, it's not something you really want to do again on a future cruise.

[quote name='zonabelle']Huh? I read about people on these boards who sit armed with a flamethrower but jeez. Nobody said anything about dividing people into classes. This topic is to discuss the perks of platinum, which CARNIVAL put in place, not us. We are simply trying to understand what is involved in this program. I bet you also hate on people who fly first class, don't you? And shame on the airines who offer this because they do separate pax into "classes". :eek:[/quote]
Pax on airlines opting to "Pay" for first class is no comparison to a "freebie" earned by CCL passengers reaching the platinum status....When someone thinks they should have a seperate line for those Platinum passengers to board a ship quicker in port in comparison to those non platinum passengers is a tad extreme in my eyes, thus my comments and opinion. Call it flaming if you care to, but that was not what the post I made was intended to be at all.

[quote name='travelntreats']Pax on airlines opting to "Pay" for first class is no comparison to a "freebie" earned by CCL passengers reaching the platinum status....When someone thinks they should have a seperate line for those Platinum passengers to board a ship quicker in port in comparison to those non platinum passengers is a tad extreme in my eyes, thus my comments and opinion. Call it flaming if you care to, but that was not what the post I made was intended to be at all.[/quote]

I did not think I [B]SHOULD[/B] have a separate line for Platinum to board a ship in port. My post said [B]NOTHING[/B] like that. I was simply asking [B]IF[/B] there was such a line since there is one for the inital boarding at embarkation. Since I will be new to platinum, I wanted to know what was available and what was not and how to handle the various situations- that is all.

Oh and wait - seems as though that IS a perk according to people who are already platinum and according to Carnival's own CD. :rolleyes:

From post #33 i.e. okgirl
[COLOR="Red"][I][B][U][U][B]Unfortunately there is no platinum line to get back on the ship. I really think they need 2 lines in some ports.[/B][/U] One for old and/or handicapped and one for everyone else.[/I][/COLOR]

My response:
[quote name='travelntreats']Sounds like you are looking for special treatment across the board.....and dividing the passengers into "class" ! :eek:[/quote]

[quote name='zonabelle']I did not think I [B]SHOULD[/B] have a separate line for Platinum to board a ship in port. My post said [B]NOTHING[/B] like that. I was simply asking [B]IF[/B] there was such a line since there is one for the inital boarding at embarkation. Since I will be new to platinum, I wanted to know what was available and what was not and how to handle the various situations- that is all.

Oh and wait - seems as though that IS a perk according to people who are already platinum and according to Carnival's own CD. :rolleyes:[/quote]
My post was not even directed to you.... it was to member "okgirl" who felt that there should be seperate lines for re boarding the ship in ports provided to "platinum" passengers.

Read before you accuse !!

Archived