Best everything for LA

Brandonlees

I am wanting it all. All the best recomendations for flying in to LA me and my wife booked a cruise on the Splendor for Jan 2012. I know a long time from now. I was wondering if anyone has any great idea for transfers or hotels or what is the best to do in LA in January before going on a cruise how many days to arrive early. What part of town is the best to stay at? anything I need input. And have a lot of time to take it all in.

I am wanting it all. All the best recomendations for flying in to LA me and my wife booked a cruise on the Splendor for Jan 2012. I know a long time from now. I was wondering if anyone has any great idea for transfers or hotels or what is the best to do in LA in January before going on a cruise how many days to arrive early. What part of town is the best to stay at? anything I need input. And have a lot of time to take it all in.

Gee...The "best" of everything might EXCLUDE the Carnival Splendor...Haven't you been paying attention lately? :)

You probably need to give us more than you have...

How many days? How many do you have? Obviously, the more time you can spend, the better...

A longer pre-cruise allows you to see more...and there is a lot here...

Lots to see in LA and lots in nearby areas...

But it all takes time...

And what do you like? We have REAL movie and TV studios, amusement parks, mountains, deserts, wineries, museums...and lots of tourist attractions...

Best part of town to stay in? Again, depends on what you want to do...If it's Disneyland, you're staing in one area...if it's movie studios, it's another...and if general relaxation, shopping, restaurants, etc., it's yet another...and some folks like to take a few extra days and drive up to the Santa Barbara/Santa Ynez Wine Country area...The possibilities are endless...

Of course, if you're just hanging around "in town", there are different favorites for different people...and...

...a lot depends on how you plan on getting around...renting a car?

Let's say you are staying 3-4 nights and don't plan on driving and don't care about Disney...

One plan I'd endorse would be to stay in Santa Monica (the "Best" tourist location, IMHO)...Take a tour one day to Hollywood and the LA sights that will pick you up at the hotel...Oh yeah, "best" hotel? I'd go with Loew's...if not, Shutters, Le Merigot, Casa Del Mar or the Fairmont Miramar... (You did say "best", correct?)...on non-touring days, take a cab up to the Getty and back...Stroll the boardwalk down to Venice Beach...wander the Third Street Promenade and hang out at the Santa Monica Pier...

Cab, limo or shuttle LAX to Santa Monica and Santa Monica down to the pier...

That's one plan...but, there are others...too many variables...

Our Cruise Leaves on a Sunday. And Despite the Splendor being broken right now I would assume it would be fixed by next January. Me and my wife have always wanted to visit LA area. I went when I was a teenager with my parents. But that was about 15 years ago. I am assuming a lot has changed.

We where thinking of coming in on Thursday and spending 3 nights before the cruise exploring LA area maybe going to universal. We have no idea what to do. We just like to do stuff thats fun and that we have never done before. We are from Indiana so I would think anything would be better then anything in indiana. haha

If you arrive Thursday, that basically gives you two days to tour. Universal is a full day. You can spend the other day touring the sights. Renting a car will make it easiest to see the LA area. Staying in the Universal/Hollywood area may be best if you will only be in town a short time and 1 day will be Universal. The Sportmans Lodge in that area has been recommended. There is also a Sheraton and a Hilton right there. After you leave Universal take some time to hang out at City Walk right outside of Universal. There is a lot to do and see, a lot of fun.

If you want to see the Walk of Fame, Theater, etc. go to the Hollywood and Highland Center and explore from there. You can also pick up tours from that area.

Jen in SoCal

Our Cruise Leaves on a Sunday. And Despite the Splendor being broken right now I would assume it would be fixed by next January. Me and my wife have always wanted to visit LA area. I went when I was a teenager with my parents. But that was about 15 years ago. I am assuming a lot has changed.

We where thinking of coming in on Thursday and spending 3 nights before the cruise exploring LA area maybe going to universal. We have no idea what to do. We just like to do stuff thats fun and that we have never done before. We are from Indiana so I would think anything would be better then anything in indiana. haha

Okay... a little more definition there...

Arriving Thursday, embarking Sunday from Long Beach...If you were a teenager 15 years ago, that makes you around 30, give or take a couple of years now, right? You'd like to visit Universal...

Okay, I guess the next questions I'd have would be rental car, yes or no? Budget? and what do you consider "fun"?

But, let's first assume that you have no car and, depending on when your flight gets in on Thursday, you have two "full" days, maybe three nights...Figure Sunday is a "wash"...You are going to need to get up sunday, check out and get a shuttle down to Long Beach...You'll want to get there by around noon, at least, get on the ship and start enjoying that...

Whatever time your flight arrives Thursday (hoping it is on time), figure an hour to get your luggage and get out of the airport...and...here I am going to assume you are on somewhat of a budget...so, I'll say pick up a shuttle...try either SuperShuttle or PrimeTime Shuttle...and another hour (at least) getting up to the Hollywood/Universal area to a hotel (For a larger budget and more time in LA, I'd say Santa Monica...but for a 30-something who wants to include Universal, and, perhaps a little tighter budget, we'll go with Hollywood/Universal)...

Okay, first let's pick a hotel...

Around Universal, there are a few hotels I might stay at:

Right on the property, there is a Hilton and a Sheraton:

http://www.sheratonuniversal.com/

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/BURUCHF-Hilton-Los-Angeles-Universal-City-California/index.do

These are both nice...and very well located--you can walk to Universal Studios and the CityWalk...you can take the Metro into Hollywood to visit Grauman's Chinese and the Walk of Fame, etc. But, for some, they are a bit pricey...

Another option not too far away is the Beverly Garland (which has a free shuttle to Universal and to the Metro Station):

http://www.beverlygarland.com/

A very popular choice here on Cruise Critic (and a favorite of my compadre Curt Jerome Wild) is the Sportsmen's Lodge:

http://www.slhotel.com/

They are about 3 miles from Universal, but also offer a free shuttle...sort of a 1950's cool hotel on a commercial strip of one of LA's main drags--Ventura Boulevard...

Another possibility is to stay on the Hollywood/West Hollywood side of the hill...

I really like the Renaissance at Hollywood and Highland--very nice hotel right in the heart of Hollywood--in the same complex as Grauman's Chinese and the Kodak Theater:

http://www.renaissancehollywood.com/

...bit it can be a bit pricey for some...

Most of Hollywood can be a bit seedy, so, other than this and a few other select luxury hotels (Roosevelt, Chateau Marmont), I don't recommend it...

But, you could also move a little west into West Hollywood...

This would, typically, be the pick as to where to stay there:

http://bestwesterncalifornia.com/hotels/best-western-sunset-plaza-hotel

Of course, there are others as well...

Okay, now that you are settled in, without a car, here's a good thing to know about--the HOHO Bus tours:

http://www.redlinetours.com/redline/hop.php

http://www.starlinetours.com/los-angeles-tour-1H1.asp

Some folks look at these as a somewhat organized way to get to all of the sites from any Hollywood or Universal City hotel...

Of course, you can also use various forms of public transportation and get to those sites yourselves...

Okay...that's a start...

Now you just have to figure out what else you might want to see and do...

There are plenty of restaurants in the area...some more fun than others--near Universal, I recommend Miceli's-Universal City--call and find out when the show starts (Great singing waiters show):

http://www.micelisrestaurant.com/

West Hollywood area has LA's most famous traditional Jewish Deli--and favored hangout for celebs and rock stars, Canter's:

http://www.cantersdeli.com/

Plus, lots of great places at the Grove and at Hollywood and Highland...and scattered throughout the Hollywood area...

There are lots of nightlife venies in the area as well--Comedy clubs, music venues--it all just depends on what you want to do...

That should be a start...

You have received alot of good advice. One more thought .... Universal Studios is more of an amusement park. If you want to see a "working" studio (not that Universal isn't), I'd recommend going on the Warner Bros VIP tour. There are no rides, but you do take a 12 passenger golf cart throughout the studio and see it in action. They have a great little museum too. Warner Bros is in the Burbank area, not far from Universal. I'd recommend staying at the Beverly Garland Hotel, but the others that have been mentioned are good too.

Denice

Any reasonably priced hotels which offer a free shuttle from the airport and to the pier the next day?

NO...

LAX and the pier are 20 miles apart...

There are LAX area hotels that offer free shuttles between the terminals and their hotels...and there are San Pedro hotels that offer free shuttles from their hotel to the cruise terminal...NOBODY does both...

You must take at least one paid shuttle, taxi or other means of transportation for at least one leg...

Sure glad I found this thread. My friend and I are going to be there late January for 3 nights prior to our cruise. I am doing the research hotels, things to do etc. Si if I go to priceline which area would I choose for a hotel close to Univeral ..Ventura Ave.??

My friend wants to go see LA ink why ?????? I don't know.

This is her first trip in years and we are having a milestone B day so although on a budget want to make it nice for us both.

Sure glad I found this thread. My friend and I are going to be there late January for 3 nights prior to our cruise. I am doing the research hotels, things to do etc. Si if I go to priceline which area would I choose for a hotel close to Univeral ..Ventura Ave.??

This is her first trip in years and we are having a milestone B day so although on a budget want to make it nice for us both.

I just checked out Priceline ... I went first to LAX, then Hollywood, then San Fernando Valley, and finally Studio City, North Hollywood. Didn't check out the specific hotels they use, but that is the general area. I'd suggest going to biddingfortravel.com or a similar site to get specifics. Good luck!

Denice

http://www.priceline.com/hotels/lang/en-us/region_star_price.asp?session_key=5C0011AC5D0011AC201011212041498403c1248412&plf=pcln&action=new_city&area_id=3202&area_name=Los+Angeles+%2D+San+Fernando+Valley&start_page=Y&no_init=Y

The problem with Priceline here is that the Universal City area (#1) is lumped into a region with Burbank and Glendale...so, you could end up with a hotel that is not necessarily convenient for what you want to do...no real way to control it...

Likewise, the area that looks like it would include the Sportsmen's Lodge (#2) spans pretty far north into other less favorable areas...

I would also recommend checking out those bidding websites to see if there are any strategies that might guaranty getting to where you want to be...

had to Google LA Ink. Is that a reality show or an actual place? Not into tattoos so I don't have the vaguest idea.

As to using Priceline, have never used that but I would echo what the others have said and check to see the possibilities before using. There are decent areas of the Valley, but there's some bad areas too (I was raised a Valley Girl so I know this all too well). The Beverly Garland is in North Hollywood and is known to be a good hotel, but there are some areas of No. Ho. like around Lankershirm Blvd. that I wouldn't stay in. Same with Sepulveda Blvd in Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys, and north of there. Some decent areas (I actually lived off of Sepulveda Blvd for about six years), but there's the "hourly" type of hotels.

Sportsman Lodge is in Studio City on Ventura Blvd. (Ventura is one of our major business streets in the Valley but it stretches several miles east/west). If you don't mind a walk, you can easily reach a major supermarket and a drug store if you want to buy stuff for your cruise that you didn't want to lug onto a flight.

Thanks for all the information this is great. I feel a little more in control. Yes I am 29 now by the cruise I will be 30. That feels weird saying. I like to save money but at the same time not to cheap. I wont save money to stay at a bed bug motel. I like to get good deals. Soounds like there will be plenty to choose from.

Thanks for all the information this is great. I feel a little more in control. Yes I am 29 now by the cruise I will be 30. That feels weird saying. I like to save money but at the same time not to cheap. I wont save money to stay at a bed bug motel. I like to get good deals. Soounds like there will be plenty to choose from.

Brandon,

I understand you...glad to see that attitude in a "young" person (not that I'm all that old...but older than you)...

I always get a good laugh when someone asks a question like "What's the cheapest way to get form LAX to the pier?" or "Where's the cheapest place to stay in San Pedro?"

Obviously, the "cheapest" way to get to the pier is to WALK--it may take you 20 or 25 hours...

...and the "cheapest" place to stay is under the freeway overpass with the homeless people...

Of course, what these people HOPEFULLY are asking is not what the "cheapest" thing is, but what is the best VALUE for the money...

How to get there that still makes efficient sense in a comfortable manner that won't break the bank...or where to stay that will be nice, clean, comfortable and enjoyable that can be had for a reasonable price...

My thought is to first aim high...You can often be surprised at the deals you may find at great hotels...Failing that, move down the line and look for the nicest hotel that fits your budget...

"Bargains" at sleazy hotels or at hotels in undesireable locations are not bargains...you often get what you pay for...

And your vacation should be pleasant and enjoyable from the time you leave home and throughout...Never settle for a hotel that is below reasonable standards or poorly located...If you can't stay in a really nice hotel in a top location, a reasonably nice hotel in a good location...The convenience and surroundings are worth something...

For most people, a few dollars extra, in the long run, is not going to make or break your budget...you may save it back in taxis or shuttles...

And, it is nice to feel like you are at a resort destination, if possible, from day one...and to keep your travel and logistics to a minimum...

That's when I hear someone thinks they are getting agreat deal--maybe saving a whopping $50 to stay 10 miles from where they should want to be or staying in an ugly industrial area or in a run-down commercial strip with zero charm, I try to discourage them...

When I do a pre-cruise stay, I like the hotel to be fairly nice and the location to be such that restaurants, shops and attractions are convenient and the area around where I'm staying pleasant...I think of my pre- and post-cruise stays as an extension of my cruise, not just as "filler" while biding my time waiting for the vacation to begin in earnest...

A really nice day or two on either side turns a 7 night cruise into an 8 or 9 or 10 day vacation...

And no one has to "break the bank" to do it...Real value deals can be found...sometimes it takes a little work and research...search hotel websites and expediter sites and even call hotels...but, first, know what it is you are looking for--then find the best deal within those parameters...and be prepared to spend a few dollars more here and there than maybe you first thought...In the long run, if you are getting true value for those dollars, it is well worth it...

Good luck and have fun...

What about staying at the best western in long beach it has breakfast shuttle to the port and shuttle to long beach airport where there is a enterprise car rental place at.

My current thought is to stay here they have free parking too.

I was thinking of renting a car from this location since it would be close to the port when we are ready to cruise..

My wife likes the idea of going to the Warner bros vip tour. That looks cool. and maybe universal another day or just hanging out all over LA maybe taking some sightseeing tours as well. Checking out different spots like Santa Monica. Maybe trying to get tickets to the tonight show somehow. Dont knwo if that would be possible or maybe another cool show like price is right or something like that.

What about staying at the best western in long beach it has breakfast shuttle to the port and shuttle to long beach airport where there is a enterprise car rental place at.

I was thinking of renting a car from this location since it would be close to the port when we are ready to cruise..

My wife likes the idea of going to the Warner bros vip tour. That looks cool. and maybe universal another day or just hanging out all over LA maybe taking some sightseeing tours as well. Checking out different spots like Santa Monica. Maybe trying to get tickets to the tonight show somehow. Dont knwo if that would be possible or maybe another cool show like price is right or something like that.

There are more than one Best Western in Long Beach...the only one worth considering is called the Best Western Convention Center...and it's really at the edge of where I'd stay in Long Beach...I'm not sure if that's the one you're looking at...

But, though, in your situation, I might consider it for the last night before the cruise, I would not use it as a base to see the sights you want to see in LA...

Most of those--Universal, Warner Bros., Tonight Show, etc.--are all up in the Universal City/Burbank area...If you use Long Beach as a base for those, you will spend several hours in that rental car each day going back and forth to Long Beach...I'd suggest, if you rent a car, to stay at the Sportsmen's Lodge or Beverly Garland where you will have a short drive to all of those movie/TV related sights, then, to avoid one-way charges, drop the car back at LAX the night before the cruise and catch a shuttle down to Long Beach and stay one night at a 3 or 4 star hotel...try Priceline and see if, like some have noted of late, you can pick up the Westin or Hyatt for around $80...nicer than the Best Western and you can walk to restaurants, shopping, etc. that night...You can probably even jump on the City's free Passport shuttle to the pier...

Tonight Show tickets MAY be hard to get...and, beware, they overbook...so you need to get in line early, even with tickets...

If you stay in the Universal area, also check out "Citywalk" at Universal for nightlife...

Everything you want to do is no where near Long Beach. Steve provides solid advice and I want to back him up that for a visit like yours, don't stay in Long Beach. Stay in LA/Hollywood/Universal areas, not Long Beach, it is too far away. You will waste a lot of your trip in the car going back and forth. If you plan in advance you should be able to get tickets to shows.

Fly in, rent car on arrival at airport, return car before cruise, take shuttle or cab depending on where you return the car. You should have plenty of time on cruise day to return your car and get transportation to the pier, I would not waste time changing hotels to be closer to the port for the last night. If you are planning to be in the Hollywood area for your stay, check out the Burbank airport instead of LAX for your arrival, you can leave from a different airport that is closer to the port (LAX, Long Beach, SNA).

Jen in SoCal

This is great I feel like I have People looking out for me. I have long time to plan this being 2012 and everything. I will take any advice I can get. We want to see sights and I think Renting a car is our best bet. I am just trying to find a Hotel that doesnt charge you for parking because it seems like that is always a charge you dont think of or count on till you get it. Some hotels in Chicago charge 30 bucks a day to park. Sometimes it just takes good planning to find a great hotel that covers the small things you dont think of that save money like free breakfast and stuff like that.

I agree, I like to find free breakfast and parking as well. Try to find something closer to where you want to be touring, not Long Beach.

Jen in SoCal

This is great I feel like I have People looking out for me. I have long time to plan this being 2012 and everything. I will take any advice I can get. We want to see sights and I think Renting a car is our best bet. I am just trying to find a Hotel that doesnt charge you for parking because it seems like that is always a charge you dont think of or count on till you get it. Some hotels in Chicago charge 30 bucks a day to park. Sometimes it just takes good planning to find a great hotel that covers the small things you dont think of that save money like free breakfast and stuff like that.

This has been very informative for me also. My husband and I are leaving on the Golden Princess to Hawaii in March. We're from Ohio and we're flying out 4 days early to see LA. So, what is the difference in price between a taxi and shuttle from LAX to San Pedro? I'm assuming the taxi would be one price for both of us where the shuttle is priced per person? Anyone know the difference?

Archived