Limited Roll Call Activity

snow bunny

I have notice that according to the website there are limited rooms available on our Carnival Legend New Year's Cruise. I have also noticed that people will lurk, perhaps read, or maybe as the "kids" call it creep on a roll call. My question is why do they (you know who you are) not join in?? Is the roll call too personal? Meeting "strangers" bother you? Yet some of you post in various Carnival areas on CC but not on the actual roll call? Sorry if this takes some of you out of your comfort zone but I don't mind posting here in order to meet with some like minded people who I may or may not get along with once on board but I put myself out here warts and all!

I have notice that according to the website there are limited rooms available on our Carnival Legend New Year's Cruise. I have also noticed that people will lurk, perhaps read, or maybe as the "kids" call it creep on a roll call. My question is why do they (you know who you are) not join in?? Is the roll call too personal? Meeting "strangers" bother you? Yet some of you post in various Carnival areas on CC but not on the actual roll call? Sorry if this takes some of you out of your comfort zone but I don't mind posting here in order to meet with some like minded people who I may or may not get along with once on board but I put myself out here warts and all!

I think some people don't really know where to find it. They find the main board and the roll calls are not necessarily easy to find, especially if they don't explore the site.

I have been on many roll calls. I have also stopped posting for periods of time and my husband refuses to use CC at all due to so many nasty people on here. This is not a friendly place and I don't blame people for just lurking. Often we are so put off by some of the posts, we do not participate in the meet and greets, even if we were on the roll call. We cruise for our time together and not to meet others really so it is real easy for us to say "who needs this nonsense?"

We do not want to be associated with CC due to the negative posts and most of our meet & greets we participate in are through other sites and not CC. I would not identify myself as a member of CC on a ship.

Just my two cents, but we have met many people on ships who feel the same way.

I think some people don't really know where to find it. They find the main board and the roll calls are not necessarily easy to find, especially if they don't explore the site.

I have been on many roll calls. I have also stopped posting for periods of time and my husband refuses to use CC at all due to so many nasty people on here. This is not a friendly place and I don't blame people for just lurking. Often we are so put off by some of the posts, we do not participate in the meet and greets, even if we were on the roll call. We cruise for our time together and not to meet others really so it is real easy for us to say "who needs this nonsense?"

We do not want to be associated with CC due to the negative posts and most of our meet & greets we participate in are through other sites and not CC. I would not identify myself as a member of CC on a ship.

I have to ask...

If you do not identify yourself as a member of CC, how have you met many people on ships who feel the same way? :p

I have notice that according to the website there are limited rooms available on our Carnival Legend New Year's Cruise. I have also noticed that people will lurk, perhaps read, or maybe as the "kids" call it creep on a roll call. My question is why do they (you know who you are) not join in?? Maybe too shy? Is the roll call too personal? Could be. Meeting "strangers" bother you? That's a possibility. Yet some of you post in various Carnival areas on CC but not on the actual roll call? Sorry if this takes some of you out of your comfort zone but I don't mind posting here in order to meet with some like minded people who I may or may not get along with once on board but I put myself out here warts and all!

It's harder for some people to just jump in and get involved. I know in the past, I've lurked for quite a while, reading roll call posts until I got a feel for who I might be talking to and sailing with before I posted on the roll call. Sometimes the actual "meeting" on the ship went well and sometimes it didn't. There are a few gals that I've met in the past through the roll calls who I still communicate with. We may never see each other again, and we're okay with that, and if we do get together again that would be great too!

I'm glad that you're comfortable enough to jump in with both feet. That's the way you are. I like to sit in the shade for a little while before I test the waters, and that's the way I am. And Mr. Rogers would think we are both special in our own way.

This is not a friendly place and I don't blame people for just lurking. Often we are so put off by some of the posts, we do not participate in the meet and greets, even if we were on the roll call. We cruise for our time together and not to meet others really so it is real easy for us to say "who needs this nonsense?"

I can understand not doing the meet and greets. I think we were on the Conquest when a gal at the next table on the Lido Deck was talking about "the boards". I just had to ask, and yep she was talking about these boards. Turned out she never posted on the roll call, but when we introduced ourselves and revealed our screen names we were familiar to each other. We talked for a few minutes and even though we seemed to get along splendidly and had a few laughs we didn't see each other the rest of the cruise.

I will however talk to people about CC, especially if they're first-timers, letting them know that there's a wealth of information here, because I think there is (if you can get past some of the nastiness)

Strange to me too.

Last cruise we had someone very active on the boards and had activities planned.

Saw him at the roll call for a few minutes and than nobody saw him again.

Than people not active on the roll call get on the ship and the friendliest ever.

Gio figure?

Some people think that by joining a roll call- they will have to do things as a group. (its not the case at all)

They think they have to participate in the group get togethers and stress on what happens if they get busy etc.

You will also have people going on the group cruises but pay the higher price for the same reason.

Some people cruise together because life at home is hectic and a cruise gives them the together time they need without a bunch of strangers.

Not everyone is a social butterfly. Not everyone needs some group affliation to enjoy going on a cruise. I might be able to respond to a question on a thread but that doesn't mean I want or need to meet anyone who is going on the cruise I've booked. I'm also the type that doesn't need to know much about my steward, or waiter, or who the cruise director is. Just a different sort of personality.

If you enjoy the group experience, then go for it!

I obviously have way too much time on my hands, because prior to my last cruise, I was "creeping" on all the roll calls for my particular ship, because I just enjoy all the info, excitement, and stuff- about the same trip. I admit, I get totally obsessed! We decided not to join our particular roll call the last time, as I was traveling with my mother and we didn't want to make any time/meeting commitments. Not a great idea, looking back on it now, as it would have been fun meeting people.

I was also interested in shore excursions we had chosen and found out from someone on a roll call who had experienced the same one, that it wasn't worth it- and decided to cancel and book another one, since it sounded pretty boring. We had a wonderful time and was so glad we changed. I never would have thought to change if not for the info I found.

By the way, can anyone actually see who is "creeping"? I have wondered about that....

I think some people are really VERY "shy", like we are, and meeting new people can be too uncomfortable. But, my hubby and I joined a roll call on our last cruise together, and we had a BLAST! Such fun to chat- and then meet the people who have been chatting. Lots of fun!

Recently I was "creeping" on the roll calls for the Splendor, because it was interesting to read about the people who were preparing for their "misadventure" on the sea.

Is it wrong to "spy" or eavesdrop in this way? Do you think? I wonder.....

It's entertaining to me, since I have so much time.... and since I love to cruise- so much!

I join the roll calls in order to share my excitement and anticipation with others who have the same excitement. But just because we are cruising together doesn't always mean we will enjoy each others company once on board. We may or may not. So for me, I post on the roll call but depending on how "connected" I feel, I may or may not be active with the group on the cruise. Also, on a cruise that my husband and I are cruising with other family or friends from home we may be wrapped up in our activites with them and it may not work out to go to meet and greets or CC activities.

However, I have sometimes found roll calls to be a bit cliquish and have been uncomfortable jumping in. have even felt at times that some peoples posts seem to get quoted left and right and other occasional posters seem to get lost and ignored. JMHO So, Maybe Lurking isn't really lurking, just someone feeling they would be "invisible" even if they post! icon9.gif

Sometimes you'll find that after you join a roll call, the group will start planning get togethers before the cruise or something planned as a group during the cruise that doesn't interest you. Then you kind of just drop out and only visit the roll call sporadically after that. Or you may find that you have nothing in common with the rest of the group.

We leave in 3 days and we have had a very active Roll Call with over 200 replies for a 4 day cruise. I think it has to do with the luck of the draw on the people going with you. Some are more outgoing than others. Some other Roll Calls have very limited replies for the same length cruise. Now, a group cruise forget it. You go with Host Mach and look how many replies there are. Unbelievable.

I am usually pretty active on roll calls, but do keep a lot to myself. I like to bounce off ideas about excursions, etc with people and generally share in the excitement of the cruise. Every cruise is different. Sometimes I know I won't have the time for the "cabin crawl" or even all the different meet and greets so I don't put myself too out there. I have had some great roll calls in the past and met many wonderful people. I have also experienced some incredible tours thanks to other roll call members.

With that said, my last cruise showed that things can go the opposite direction as well. I basically dropped off that roll call when it became petty, bitchy and tiresome. It was a bit of an eye opening experience. I have also witnessed first hand the embarrassment of people throwing around their cruise critic "membership".

Keep this in mind.... the ones that are active are usually the ones that you run into all the time onboard and have a great time with.

On all of our roll calls we have met some great people that we still talk to all the time.... we're even sailing with one couple and a solo cruiser in January again! They have really become friends and we look forward to sailing with them again! Our cruise at the end of 2011 we may be together again along with another couple we met, if all goes well.

It's kind of neat how you make friendships onboard. It really adds to the cruise I think! Great memories! :D

My upcoming cruise I'm going with a group for someone's birthday, so I really can't commit to meeting other folks. But I wandered over to join my roll call anyway, figuring I could join the pre-cruise discussion. There were two people on it, and they were exchanging stories about their children and bowling leagues and I felt it would be much too intrusive to jump in. However, for them I think it really will make the cruise much more fun. I think they have found cruising buddies.

I have yet to make it to a meet and greet as I either get busy and forget or am just doing something else. It's not a big thing to me to make it or not. I have just made friends the old fashioned way.

That doesn't mean they are not valuable but just lower on the list of other things to me. I've had times when they would schedule it after the "whatever" and I end up in a bar waiting for friends, missing the M&G.

That and some people do take it a bit overboard thinking that a CC "membership" is truly of value or something.....

I am on the thread with OSUKNIGHT and we have had a very nice,cordial group of people on it and we will have a M&G the first night after the boat drill. It is about 26 people, most with kids, so it will be a good way for the kids to also meet each other. I have been involved with about 5 M&G on different cruise lines and we have always had a great time. On the European cruises, the M&G helped and the CC roll calls helped, as several of us got together and did alot of private tours. I never have any expectations other than meeting a nice group of people, if only to say Hello to the rest of the cruise. To us, it is like a group of friends for the length of the cruise. We still keep in touch with some of them. We have never been involved in a cabin crawl, but I am sure lots love that.

I agree that there are some very nasty people commenting on CC, but I find that they are big talkers when they are on CC, as it is a faceless and nameless venue, and I just figure that they are probably so unhappy:( in their own worlds, that they try to bring others down. I just consider the source and don't let them upset me, knowing the percentage wise, there are so many more great people out there, willing to offer helpful suggestions. Life is too short.

I very much agree with you. ^^^^^^

Though this site is loaded with some useful information, sometimes getting to it can be a chore. While I am thick-skinned and could care less what the "internet warriors" have to say, all the negativity does make me wonder about cruising at times.

I just keep in mind that the number of people on here, compared to the number of actual cruisers, is very small.

one of the BEST Roll Calls since I discovered CC on my last cruise this past August on the Pride out of Baltimore. It was active before we cruised. And we all met at a bar on the cruise then the next morning we met when the slots opened to do a group pull. I think each of us put in $10, we took the total amount and selected a machine. We then put all the money in and rotated turns pulling lever or pushing button. It was so much fun and several spouses joined in. Then we all just spoke to each other whenever we saw anyone out and about. It was fun.

We met our best friends because I posted on our first roll call in 2006. We now spend most of our vacations together. We are cruising together again this December. (New years cruise on the Freedom) Thanks Cruise Critic for the roll calls!!

Tim & Wendy

Just chiming in with my 2 cents worth. I have particpated in several roll calls - most of them good. The one I am currently on and the last one I was on I rate as great, super, terrific... I think you get the picture.

Yes, there are some nasties out there, there are some wherever you go -but for the most part I have found folks to be friendly and helpful. On my last roll call I was able to "meet" many new friends prior to cruising with them. We "chatted" for nearly a year before we sailed. What fun it was to finally put the names and faces together at the M&G.

This current roll call has been going strong for about 18 months now and we sail in January on our first B2B. I will be sailing with many of the friends I met and sailed with previously. I have already had the opportunity to meet up with a new sailing friend earlier this year and we will have a great time together ont he ship. What a marvelous way to make and meet new friends.

Sharing information, helping each other when we can, sending good thoughts and well wishes - its all been such a big part of my CC experiences thus far.

So thank you CC for providing an avenue to get to know others. It is a valuable asset to me.

I absolutely LOVE the roll calls.....but then again, I enjoy meeting new people.:o Half the fun of a cruise (IMHO) is planning and talking with others about it. I always start (or participate in) a roll call for every cruise I take, since I so enjoy getting onboard and already having "friends" there to greet me. I will even read other roll calls (lurk) of the same ship I'm taking, just to get other ideas.

Some roll calls are more active than others, but all contain potential friends. And, if those "friends" had rather sit back and read (lurk :))instead of post, that's fine with me, too. Whatever they are comfortable with.....and the same goes with participation, either online or once the group meets onboard.

I've personally never noticed the "catty remarks" :eek: in a roll call, thank goodness!

And, I try and take small "Tastes of Tennessee" (products made in Tennessee) to those most active on my roll call....just a little "thank you" for making my planning and waiting time so enjoyable.

Roll Tide, Ginny

Archived