RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

Don't believe the Radiance has Seaview any more. After refurbishing it was changed to something else.

Anyone out there know for sure? It was one of our favorite places.

Twas on Radiance over Christmas and yes it's gone for one of the for fee venues (Samba I think?) but it does have the Park Cafe in the Solarium which does bespoke salads, sandwiches etc and will hand out small packets of potato chips/crisps which were great for the post drink midnight munchies.

Also beware that we found the "fridge" in our balcony stateroom is NOT a fridge. I asked our stateroom attendant what was wrong with it when I put our 2 bottles of BYO wine (carried on through security - just had to declare it) in the fridge and they didn't get cold. She replied that they are only "insulated cooler boxes" so will essentially only help to keep the items at the temperature they were put in at like an esky. So we had to make do with a wine bucket from room service which took 2 hours to be delivered and then of course doesn't cool the top half of the bottle :(

As for non alcoholic drinks - I made this enquiry before sailing and received the answer that in "reasonable quantities" it was ok - I had no problems with our 2 bottles of wine and 3x 1.5lt bottles of water (I can't drink chlorinated water so wasn't keen on buying inflated evian for all 10 days!).

The other thing to note is there is some debate over whether or not it is ok to take onboard power boards. For those of us Aussies it makes sense to take one adapter and one powerboard for all items. However I had read of many people embarking in Sydney having theirs confiscated by security. Again I made an enquiry with RCL direct and was told it was ok. I had no hassles taking mine on board while others I had discussed this with on Roll Call had had theirs removed. I took a printout of my emailed reply just in case I had to argue my case.

As for dining in the Windjammer - as a solo I found it easier to get my food first before sitting down as I was never refused to share a table when I obviously already had food. There were times however when I went with people I had met at activities and we tried to get a table first and were refused to share tables even though there were only two on an eight seater. I also found that the one time I tried ordering a drink and leaving my cutlery behind to save my spot the servers were too quick to "clean the table" and I lost my stuff. Happened twice - again when I discovered I'd forgotten the butter for my bread roll - the server was stunned when I reappeared and didn't understand the idea that I could possibly want to return and finish my plate of food and drink or return with dessert! Sharing a table helped to have someone watching my plate! The other trick I found was that it was ok to take your food down to the other lounges and bars - I had made friends with the staff in one bar and liked to sit and chat with a few of the regulars and we ate our lunch in the bar on level 6 on more than one occasion and there was no hassle with the servers here removing the plates - we asked them if it was ok and got the nod. :D

On that note, for those reading, yes sharing a table is a great way to meet people but by heck I got sick of people whinging about the food! So many Negative Nellys!!

As for the dining room - yes they have an awesome salad bar at lunchtimes - became the easiest place to be able to save a seat when on your own! And they will definitely get you extras at night - order two mains or desserts - they'll even give you room service lids and cutlery to take your goodies back to your stateroom. Or a steak main with an extra steak serve but no second serve of vege - I saw that at the neighbouring table. I also tended to order a glass of wine right at the end of the meal and take it with me when I left as it seemed easier and quicker than trying to order the same wines at the rest of the ship bars - they can do it but it's not easy or quick.

I wish I had discovered this thread before I first cruised - would've saved me from being the fool on the second day stating about the elevators having names - I was mortified when it was pointed out to me about the real reason for the signs - and I can tell you I'm not normally a stupid person! And in support of the early cat fights over lift etiquette - I'm a 20-something with a chronic ankle injury - I walk a little slow but otherwise look fine - put me on a set of stairs and I become a projectile hazard - the number of dirty looks I got for using the lifts was awful but for those passing judgement just think how degrading it is for someone of my age who can't do the normal things. :cool:

As for the express debate - I suspect it does work - the number of times I saw the elevator go past the floor I was on without stopping was ridiculous and the number of times it would've been useful to use where the lift was full was abundant - I think it's a great tip to use in this situation. Will have to wait until my next planned RCL cruise in 12 months to find out the truth - same goes for the carpet and door signs - I never noticed it while onboard but now I'm intrigued to see it for myself!

Also for those interested in smoking areas I believe now cruises from Australia (not sure about other sailings) but that the starboard side is smoking and port is non smoking - I thought this was great as I am a serious non smoker and I was glad my balcony room was on the port side as I believe smoking is allowed on the starboard balconies - just a tip for those choosing rooms if smoke from neighbouring balconies might annoy them - I know some people don't care but some do (please let's not have that fight here! This is merely a "tip" I became aware of). This also applied to open communal deck areas so I chose to stroll along the port deck areas in the evening between the MDR and the theatre as my own personal preference based on that information.

And for whoever said at the beginning of the thread about becoming addicted was right - been on one and now have 2 more booked and another in the planning!

Happy cruising people!

There were times however when I went with people I had met at activities and we tried to get a table first and were refused to share tables even though there were only two on an eight seater.

I seriously wonder what is wrong with some people. Unless you're breaking some awful news to someone, or there are a million free seats around the place, the answer to "Mind if I sit here?" is always "Please do."

I wish I had discovered this thread before I first cruised - would've saved me from being the fool on the second day stating about the elevators having names - I was mortified when it was pointed out to me about the real reason for the signs - and I can tell you I'm not normally a stupid person!

Could be worse, I flippantly joked with someone once that they changed the entire lift every day, to prevent uneven wear. I had thought my tone of voice was obvious, but then heard them repeating it to someone else later :(

I really enjoyed what you said.

My question, what are you talking about "signs" around the elevators? I know on some cruise ships, they will have a ship sign that shows you what area you are on, on that deck. Are these signs (that is if you have been on other ships) any different than Carnival, Princess, Holland around the elevators?

I really enjoyed what you said.

My question, what are you talking about "signs" around the elevators? I know on some cruise ships, they will have a ship sign that shows you what area you are on, on that deck. Are these signs (that is if you have been on other ships) any different than Carnival, Princess, Holland around the elevators?

Many of the elevators have a mat inset with the day of the week on it. They're very well inset, so look as if they're part of the floor, but they just lift out, and they change them daily.

On holidays it's easy to lose track of what day it is, but a quick glance at the floor when using the lift (elevator) will help remind you! There are some pictures here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=864321

The "you are here" signs are usually near the elevator doors on the outside, or somewhere nearby. They're similar to the ones I've seen elsewhere - they really just help you figure out which way you're facing (fore or aft), what deck you're on, and roughly whereabouts on the ship you are :)

Edited by Thoie

I am only on page 7 so if this is been mentioned I am sorry. Your cabin walls are metal so you can bring magnets to keep your paperwork out of your way. Like maps Cruise compasses and such.

I also decorate my cabin door so it is easier to find in those long hallways. Example using wall clings that you can pick up at target or tape wrapping paper on the whole door.

Take pictures of all the areas like dining rooms, bars, theaters and such the first day while they are empty. Or you may find yourself frantically doing it on the last day.

I am sure I will have more but need to finish reading the 40 other pages first.

If you suffer from the syndrome of "what's going on next and where is it again?"

a nice feature of the Cruise Compass is that the list of ship activities is perforated into sections for easy removal.

Nice to rip apart, post on the inside of your door with previous said magnets, then grab when you go out the door.

I am fascinated by this. It is obviously a cultural thing, but in the UK in many of our self service restaurants you line up first then find your table.

This is probably why I find it it most annoying that people feel it right to sit at a table they are not using while I am standing with a plate full of food.

I think of it as no different to deckchair hogging - keeping something you are not using.

Interesting. We spend summer months in the UK, and in coffee shops and department store cafes have seen men, women, the elderly, and people with children secure a table while someone else ordered the food. But, perhaps Kent is different.

It appears that I have hit upon a cultural nerve. Which was most certainly not my intention. I know only too well from these boards that Americans do not appreciate criticism of their ways and customs.

It only takes a "few minutes" for my food to get cold while you are sitting there not eating.

At times the Windjammer is extraordinarily busy - I appreciate that it is clearly acceptable in your culture, it is quite rude in ours.

Compman: I am a Brit. I live in both cultures and I think you are being a tad rude yourself with your comment above. Again, I disagree with you re, your take on cultural norms. There are rude people in all cultures. One more point: If I am in a different culture, I do not expect that culture to change for me. I try to adapt. I suggest you do the same.

Compman: I am a Brit. I live in both cultures and I think you are being a tad rude yourself with your comment above. Again, I disagree with you re, your take on cultural norms. There are rude people in all cultures. One more point: If I am in a different culture, I do not expect that culture to change for me. I try to adapt. I suggest you do the same.

Just got off Oasis of the Seas. I did not eat at Windjammer but did go look. During busy times they had a host for lack of a better word at the door. They would only let people in if a table was ready. And I bet that would offend someone.

Eat more SHRIMP

In regards to windjammer - take note of others. If there is an obvious line around the buffet or a line waiting for ice cream - respect that and don't push in!

Even if you just want the chips - wait your turn.

There's plenty of food to go around.

Try explaining to my daughter why she has to wait ( because its common manners) but you don't.

Voyager of the seas Dec 2012,

Radiance of the seas Oct 2013

In regards to windjammer - take note of others. If there is an obvious line around the buffet or a line waiting for ice cream - respect that and don't push in!

Only slightly related, but I had worked as a soft serve ice cream server the summer before my Voyager cruise, and I actually spent an hour (with a surprising line) helping my fellow customers at the Taylor machine. The staff in the area let me just kind of take over, but almost looked jealous (even though I took exactly $0 in any kind of gratuity).

It took one staff member commenting on my technique making a cone overheard by a presumptuous fellow passenger, and before I knew it, I was serving 100 guests pristine 3.5-oz swirls. What can I say? A vacation for me always includes being the entertainment at least part of the time...

These tips are the ones we ALWAYS use while cruising:

*we bring white noise i.e. small fan, compact air purifier, etc. To drown out sounds of hall traffic or next door guests

*a spray bottle with Resolve carpet cleaner. It will remove ANYTHING from clothing...and I mean ANYTHING! Shout stain remover or Tide sticks are nothing compared to Resolve!

*walkie talkies for the kids and I to constantly communicate onboard there's a vibrate feature so it doesn't disturb those around us

* OR you could also call the cabin from any wall phone placed everywhere on the ship. Just dial your room #. There's a voicemail feature as well if noones in there.

* We borrow a sheet from our cabin bed to take to the beach to lay on so we aren't relying on there being lounge chairs for us. It keeps your towels from getting sandy and gross

* when we are walking past the port vendors and 'sales people' who hound you to buy this or that , we pretend we are on a very important phone call on our cellphones. We don't even make eye contact w them...I know its dishonest but neither me or my husband do well with pushy sales people. This tricked works 100% without fail. They never have disrupted us EVER!

*when there are excursions offered for beach/shopping you can almost always just pay a cab to take you to the same exact location and you aren't constrained to the excursions assigned times and you're saving a ton on price!

*bring power strips for extra outlets. There's never enough.

* if you plan to swim at the beach or snorkel (on your own) grab a small box of cereal at the breakfast buffet and take it with you and bring underwater with you and you will have a thousand colorful tropical fish surround you eating the treat! They love it and its a remarkable experience!

*we bring dollar store swim rings for the ocean to use as float aides. I'm careful not to call them 'life savers' bc they are certainly not! But they are so convenient to pack (deflated, they're teenie) and they're just so helpful to just keep your arm hanging onto it so you're not constantly kicking and treading water! It made me feel a bit more secure in the deeper areas.

* we tie large, bright, gaudy ribbons around our luggage handles so they're easily spotted in the disembarking area (luggage claim). Nothing more frustrating to see a million suitcases the same color as yours. The ribbons will help you spot yours from the rest!

* we also take twisty ties to the zippers of our luggage to keep it from being opened easily. Those bags get tossed around like crazy and it could open easily if not properly secured

* when you come back aboard from a port. The clans of ppl waiting to get on those elevators are the biggest clumps of ppl ever! Try walking up one floor and using the elevators from there or better yet, walk up on floor or so and walk forward or opposite to use elevators not on another track. A lot less stressful I promise!

* I bring a ziplock back with Clorox disinfecting wipes to wipe our hands and utensils after we've been through the buffet lines. Even though you sanitize before getting the food, its an extra sanitizing step to keep from gettin that 'virus' since all those ppl are coughing and touching the serving utensils that you will in turn pick up and use after they do. The wipes are perfectly safe for use on hands and its a good germ killer!

* I unpack all our clothes and hang just about everything. You can ask for extra hangers if you don't have enough. Then we 'nest' our bags all inside of each other and put away until the end to make extra room.

There's more that we do but this is all I can think if at the moment. Will add them if I think of them

Happy cruising from the Ballou Family!!!

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Inspiration 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

Some great tips there, thanks! I'd be concerned by two of them

* when we are walking past the port vendors and 'sales people' who hound you to buy this or that , we pretend we are on a very important phone call on our cellphones. We don't even make eye contact w them...I know its dishonest but neither me or my husband do well with pushy sales people. This tricked works 100% without fail. They never have disrupted us EVER!

* if you plan to swim at the beach or snorkel (on your own) grab a small box of cereal at the breakfast buffet and take it with you and bring underwater with you and you will have a thousand colorful tropical fish surround you eating the treat! They love it and its a remarkable experience!

For the first one I'd be wary of people stealing the phone! There have been cases around here of people running or cycling past someone on the phone and grabbing it from their hand as they zoom by.

Most packaged cereals are highly processed and many contain a lot of sugar and added minerals - I'd be wary of feeding them to me, let alone wild animals in a delicate ecosystem. Pick your breakfast cereals carefully with the fish and their habitat in mind!

Yes, great list, thanks. Another one to watch - unfortunately power strip & extension cords are listed on RCI's prohibited list. Don't know how rigidly that's enforced.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Wow. Ok I will not bring the power strip. We always used them on Carnival and Disney with no issues. I wonder if we can bring an outlet block that has three outlets in it. Just to provide extra slots? I will make a phone call about that one.

Thanks for letting me know!!

Leaving on the Freedom 3-2-14

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

Some great tips there, thanks! I'd be concerned by two of them

For the first one I'd be wary of people stealing the phone! There have been cases around here of people running or cycling past someone on the phone and grabbing it from their hand as they zoom by.

Most packaged cereals are highly processed and many contain a lot of sugar and added minerals - I'd be wary of feeding them to me, let alone wild animals in a delicate ecosystem. Pick your breakfast cereals carefully with the fish and their habitat in mind!

I hadn't thought about someone stealing my phone. I will not use a real one then...I have tons of broken cell phones laying around so those will be our official decoys!! :)

You're right about the cereal...use discernment. :)

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

OK, so on all the RCCL elevators, they change the day or the date? Do you see this in the elevator floor, or where on the elevtor?

On the elevator floor is the day of the week, I believe on all ships except Vision and Sovereign class.