RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

Oooooh, I LOOOOOOVE those shrimp salad sandwiches! My most favorite thing they serve at Cafe Promenade!

ALL then little sandwiches at Cafe Promenade are delicious! My husband always gets the same thing: the ham and cheese croissant, which must be everyone's fave 'cause it is always available. However, I like variety . . . I personally think the best I've ever had was turkey, cranberries (not cranberry sauce) and I can't remember what else. I do like the tuna salad and shrimp salad too.

Their cookies are good too, but this place is weak on drinks. Often I'll get sandwiches while my husband goes to the adjacent bar to pick up drinks.

Edited by MrsPete

This is a very small hint.......When we cruise I am always amazed at the people who wander around the Windjammer with a full plate of food searching for a table......The WJ is usually busy...that is the way it is...however.. find your table first.....put your stuff on it or have one of your party wait there while others get their food. It is so silly to walk around like a sad sack with a full plate looking for a table!:):):)

If we're with a group, we do just what you suggested: one or two people sit down, while the others fill their plate. Then everyone knows where to regroup. However, if it's just my husband and I, we stick together filling our plates, then find a table together. We never seem to have trouble finding a seat for two.

Doesn't RCCL provide these toiletries in your cabin? Other cruiselines certainly do, it's perhaps not the pina colada, coconut butter, sandy sunburn don't touch me aroma after a beach day, but it's something you can relate to your cruise.

Yes, RC does provide toiletries, but the shampoo isn't particularly good quality. In fact, it is horrible, especially if you are a woman with long hair. I'm not overly picky: at home I alternate between 3-4 moderately priced brands, but their shampoo is just bad.

Love, love the glade plug in idea...might have to use that one. As much as I do like the ziplock washing machine it sounds like more work than i care to do on vacation :)

Similar air freshener idea: bring one of those little cardboard good-smell things that's meant to be hung over the rear view menu of your car. They're easy to find in tropical smells, and they're just right for the small bathrooms.

If you're talking about think gauzy type tops like I tend to wear in the summer, you can wash up 3-4 in the time it takes to brush your teeth. Hardly a task that cuts into your vacation time.

One washing tip: the onboard shampoo is no good for hair, but it's fine to use for washing clothes.

Any special hints for 1st time inside roommers. I am bringing nightlights, but anything else (love the idea of using spa fac for shower and extra dressing room).

An alternative to night lights, one that require no plug-in: when my kids were little, I used to buy them light sticks (the kind you break, and they last 8-10 hours) when we'd go camping. Each kid would have one to take to bed, and it was just enough light in a tent, even enough to carry to the bath house. It worked so well that we started bringing them to hotels too.

Need more light? Attach your light stick to a water bottle (perhaps with a pony tail band) and the water will magnify the light.

Light sticks are always cheap right after Halloween, but I have bought them off ebay.

If you forget your nightlight, turn your TV onto the clock channel (it's just a black background with white numbers) and leave it on all night. You can adjust the light up or down a bit.

Email PDF's of deck plans to your smart phone.

Why are so many people desperate to have deck plans on hand at all times? It's not a difficult layout, and IF you're not catching on to the layout of things, they have ship maps by all the elevators (and in other spots too). Onboard navigation just doesn't merit this much discussion.

Lastly... There is a new feature called the Savory Lunch! They don't advertise it much but for $50 you get a nice lunch in a specialty restaurant along with a galley tour! Spots are limited, but you may even get the exec. Chef to give your tour. You also receive a copy of the Savor cookbook. I believe you sign up @ either specialty restaurant host desk.

Cool! I'd pay $50 for a nice lunch and galley tour. Sounds fun.

Is this available on all ships? Multiple days? If they don't advertise much, how'd you find out about it? How did you sign up? I'm assuming you can't just walk in.

I'm tickled pink . . . First I learned about the champagne cards and now this. When you've been here a while, you get used to not learning so much . . . But I'm thrilled today.

That is so cool!! I loved the Egyptian-themed stuff down our hallway on Voyager, but never once thought to go look at other decks. Car art and cranks to turn?? My teenage son and I are so there!! Thanks for the awesome tip! :D

The onboard artwork is fun!

On one ship we sailed, we had some "interactive art" in the hallway by our cabin. Our girls were small then, and they wanted to stop and turn the handle and see the pieces move.

I scanned through the pages and don't think I saw these tips so here goes. We always take at least one (two if the kids are with) pop up hamper. They fold flat for packing and weigh almost nothing. When it fills up with dirty clothes I pack them away in one of the suitcases. It helps keep the room organized and makes less work the last day of the cruise when you ha .

Even easier: use the suitcase as a hamper. Lay it open in the bottom of your closet. When it's full, zip or closed, shove it under the bed, and a part of your packing is DONE.

Seeing that most children do not have photo ID's and bringing their passports to port with you can be a scary thing if you are planning a day at the beach. This is what we are doing. Taking a color photo of the ID page of their passports. Bringing them to our local town office to be noterized, and then taking them onshore with us. All while their passports staff safe in our room safe ;)

Why would you go to all this trouble when all you need is your ship's ID to come and go from the ship?

The biggest secret they don't tell you is that once you go on your first cruise you will forever hooked! It will be the worse sickness you will have ever experienced in your life and the only cure is to cruise over and over!

:D :p ;)

So true

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Before going to sleep, we put everything we will need for an excursion in our backpacks and then lean the backpacks against our door with the shoes we'll wear that day. It is easier to make sure we have everything we will need as opposed to rushing around in the morning. We also put our recycling material by our backpacks so we can deposit it in the recycling bins on our way to breakfast.

My husband has a similar habit when we travel: he almost always wears a ball cap for outdoor activity, so when we enter the hotel room, he drops his hat upside down on the dresser or nightstand and deposits into the hat his wallet, keys, phone, whatever . . . It keeps his things "corralled".

I wouldn't dream of standing in a long line to pick up an apple. I agree with Avista, but would add that I hover a moment until the person notices me and my reach won't annoy anyone. This technique works, of course, only if you are QUICK, smile, ask pardon as you are reaching and say thank you.

Not commenting on the one-radish question. After all, the answer isn't always the same . . . Are two people or thirty people waiting? Is the line filled with just adults or a frazzled mother with two children or a handicapped person? Judgment calls are necessary.

But the point I was going to make is about fruit. If you like to have fruit on hand as an in-room snack, take it the first day of the cruise. After all, they don't restock mid-week, so what they have at the first breakfast is what they're going to have. So pick your fruit while bananas are still available and the fruit has not been pawed over for several days. Don't take more than you'll use, but take what you'll use during the week.

I got up to page 8 and have to take a reading break. This one caught my attention. my kids have been asking if they can get cookies and milk before bed. They got used to that on Disney and I didn't think Royal did this. this post was from a few years back - can you still get cookie and milk?

Yes, you can have cookies and milk delivered to your room.

Be sure to have a couple dollars ready to tip the wait staff.

One MDR waiter we had once did something special for the kids at our dinner table every night: in addition to desert, he brought each child a plate of cookies (covered with a silver dome) to be taken back to the room.

I hadn't thought about someone stealing my phone. I will not use a real one then...I have tons of broken cell phones laying around so those will be our official decoys!! :)

You're right about the cereal...use discernment. :)

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Inspiration 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

i don't think vendors are all that big a problem. Just a quick "No thank you" is easier than digging out an old, broken phone, carrying it ashore, and then hoping to have it out at the right moment.

An alternative to night lights, one that require no plug-in: when my kids were little, I used to buy them light sticks (the kind you break, and they last 8-10 hours) when we'd go camping.

Another alternative is a battery-operated candle, we love the little bit of atmosphere and safety at night it provides. One in the bathroom, one on the coffee table. :)

What kind of something from Colorado?

Enstroms toffee is one of our yummiest and Stephany's Chocolates. Once i brought a Costco size bag of M & M's. one for me and on for them. in Hawaii i had asked if i could bring something to a reservation agent who was helping me out. A Broncos shirt. It made his day when i showed up with it for him.

Lots of good tips here, yes, I read all 48 pages of them, over a couple days though. Some I'll use, some I wont.

I find it funny as all get that some people, it seems to be those with a lot of posts/time as a member who feel the need to shot down others suggestions/thoughts/ideas. And no, sorry but I dont care how long you've been a member/how many posts you have, I'll use a version of the golden rule.. I'll treat you as you treat me. 8P

Maybe those people who have been here awhile need to take something other than a cruise then, or keep their negative nellie thoughts to themselves?

Why would you care what others do, bring, carry? Just because it works/worked for you doesnt mean it works for another. Sheesh

And for the baseball cap idea, I was doing that since my military days in the early 90's & my dad since his service in the 60's.

For some it works, for some it doesnt, nowadays if my room has a serving tray/icetray I use that, at my house I have an old crystal dish/special spot on a hutch for my stuff. YMMV

But I stopped it for a couple reasons... it was destroying my wool baseball caps & my sunglasses would get scratched if I didnt bag them. And too I stopped wearing baseball caps except if I'm doing amateur radio stuff where I need to be id'ed by call. So I wear a lot more fedora/panama hats nowadays, hence the moniker. 8)

Enstroms toffee is one of our yummiest and Stephany's Chocolates. Once i brought a Costco size bag of M & M's. one for me and on for them. in Hawaii i had asked if i could bring something to a reservation agent who was helping me out. A Broncos shirt. It made his day when i showed up with it for him.

Interesting idea Spyke

I'll be cruising over Valentines day next year, maybe some chocolate/candy hearts or I might be able to get some of Dollies Saltwater taffy, its well known to the people from DC/B-More/Philly as the iconic item of Rehoboth Beach DE, even though the main place is Ocean City MD (Not NJ.. booo Jersey hehe)

Course, they may get bored of the chocolates or the taffy, then again they may make fun of us "rubes" who think we get special service because of it, doesnt matter to me. 8)

Thanks

Help!!! I'm cruising in a week for the 1st time on a RoyalCaribbean ship...(Freedom Of The Seas)...I wonder if anyone can tell me if there's enough mirrors in an inside stateroom (deck10) so that while getting ready we are able to see the back and/or side view of ourselves?? I know that's a strange question but a 'front view only' is a bummer while getting dressed up for formal nights and trying to put my hair into an 'up-do'! I hate to pack a hand mirror and then it's at risk of shattering in my suitcase.

Some ships I've been on have a mirror in the bathroom cabinet that we pull out and maneuver it so we can see side views of ourselves. Others have one flat mirror in the bathroom and another flat one in the main room. Not gonna cut it :(

Just if anyone can recall that would be great for some feedback!!

Thanks friends!!!!

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Inspiration 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

And not trying to take away fron the topic of this thread but why am I seeing the list of peoples cruises at the end of their posts?

Is it some app they are using thats bypassing my having turned off sigs? Or did they just stick it in the end of their posts?

While I'm trying to not be a negative nellie myself, & I know its only a few bytes/bits of data in my download but on a cellphone connection it counts.. to me. :p

(Jotting down more suggestions.)

Hmm, seems you cant edit a post once you post another in the same thread. Sorry. :(

>>Just because it works/worked for you doesnt mean it works for another.<<

This should have been "Just because it didnt work/worked for you doesnt mean it wont work for another."

Sorry, thats what I get for multi-tabbing threads. :(

Get $2 Bills from the bank and use them to tip - The crew will remember you!

So the great 2.00 debate someone is trying to start. I have seen 3 threads that had post deleted and the thread locked because the great 2.00 debate started.

But as to that I did ask on my latest cruise and they have no problem taking 2.00 bills they just deposit them with the rest of their cash tips. No muss no fuss. I even had one ask me if I had one they wanted it as a souvenir. And that is all I have to say to on this thread on the 2.00 debate.

Eat more SHRIMP