Mexican Riveria cruise~

hlb76

Please share the good bad and ugly about cruising the Mexico Riveria...

We are thinking of booking a cruise on Splendor. We have only cruised out of Miami. So I was just wondering if there is anything I should know before I book (yes I know about the fire). We are just looking for new ports.

Thanks is advance for your help!

Did this itinerary a few years ago. We sailed in late Jan./early Feb. 7 day cruise on the Destiny. 3 day at sea, 3 ports.

Highlights

Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo were all nice stops, each having their own flair about them. Probably liked Cabo the best as it has a nice boardwalk area around the marina. Weather was sunny(no clouds in the sky at all like the carribean) and 80.

Lowlights

2 of the 3 sea days were cold and windy. Long Beach is not very warm at this time of year. It poured rain as we disembarked and Carnival has no covered area to do this, so we got soaked while waiting in the outdoor line. The beaches on the Pacific side are not like the carribean. Coarse sand/gravel and not the different hues of blue/green water.

Those are just some quick things that come to mind. I have no desire to ever do this itinerary again. If I was to go back, I would fly directly into one of the cities and stay on land. With that said, I am sure the extra sea days would have been better if you go later in the year. For us though, we enjoy the carribean much more as we are beach people.

DH and I cruised the Mexican Rivera for Valentines Day on the Spirit this year. We loved the ship and itinerary. Acapulco was just OK, went and saw the cliff divers, it was worth the price of dinner but glad we didn't book it as a excursion as that was much more expensive. We just took a taxi to the restaurant. We absolutely loved Zihuatanejo. I wish this port was still available but it seems hard to find. Walked off the ship, great shopping and sat on the beach and drank cheap beer. Had the best time. We also loved Manzanillo. We took the bus into town and shopped. If we ever get back there we will take a bus to the resort side and spend the day sitting at the beach.

As a family we have also cruised the Mexican Rivera, DH and I and 5 boys over Thanksgiving in 2009. We rented dune buggys in Puerto Vallarta and had the best time. We did Stone Island in Mazatlan and the kids had a blast.

Love the 8 day itinerary that the Spirit offers. We were booked on the Splendor for this week but when it got cancelled we re-booked the Spirit for the week between Christmas and New Years.

Sailed on the splendor this past sept for the mexican riviera. We enjoyed it very much. 1st night out to sea was a bit chilly (sweatshirt) but woke up monday morn sat out on our balcony and it was warm and continued to heat up till returning to long beach. Puerto Vallarta was nice but honestly if i was not doing an excursion then i dont think i would get off the ship (thats my opinion). I would take advantage of the ships activities with no one on board. Mazatlan, now that place is cool, kinda gets back to the old mexico, people are very nice and the water id warm, Cabo is far the best part, clear water, was very warm and clean. This is the best stop and your there the shortest period of time. We are booked to do this cruise again next sept but this time we are on the 9 day on the spirit. It actually stops in cabo for 2 days then to la paz, mazatlan, puerto vallarta then home. This is all my opinion but for the east coast people this is a nice change. The seas were calm for our whole cruise which also made it very enjoyable. Hope this helped

Everyone has a different travel style and likes different things.

I am really sorry that the Spirit will not be going down to Acapulco next year because I really loved that itinerary!!

We got to explore real Mexican cities that are not just beach destinations.

I dislike Cabo intensely since, to me it doesn't feel like Mexico but is just another Miami.

You might also like to be aware that the Pacific, even when the air temps are hot, is not as warm as the Caribbean.

We are booked on the Splendor in Jan. Hope all is fixed by then!!

We have done the Mexican Riviera 13 times. :o Hubby does not fly, so we go to Mexico. Its fine by me. We are on a cruise, the passengers are different, we have done Ensenada, La Paz, Manzanillo, Cabo, Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan, Zihautanejo, and Acapulco. So itinerary was always different too. I have never been to the Caribbean so can't compare. You have to love the culture and the back ground. Everyone has different tastes. I agree, Cabo is one big tourist trap. We love Zihautanejo and would move there if it was feasible. Acapulco reminds me of Los Angeles. That said, we now either stay on the ship or go down the beach a ways, and then back. Mazanillo is and industrial port. You will need to take a bus (I thought Taxis were not allowed at port?) been a long time since we have been. The bus was fine, it ran all day long, about a 30 minute ride.

Mazatlan is great if you don't end up down town at the other tourist traps. It does have alot of history and culture. We get a taxi cab and tell them to take us where they live and shop. Then ask them about the history. Very interesting taxi rides we have had. Puerta Vallarta is another of our favorites. We usually just go down to the Malecon and eat some lunch and walk around. The second block back has some great hole in the wall shopping, eating and just plain window shopping.

Now that I have written a novel, it isn't for everyone, but if you let your mind wander you can see it for what it is, a very nice vacation for us!

It's a moot point now, but Manzanillo built a pier downtown. The bus is not needed to get there anymore. We enjoyed it very much last month.

We stay on the ship in Cabo and Acapulco. We love Zihuit, Mazatlan (Stone Island) and Puerto Vallarta. We've only been to La Paz once, but will be back there in March!

Please share the good bad and ugly about cruising the Mexico Riveria...

We are thinking of booking a cruise on Splendor. We have only cruised out of Miami. So I was just wondering if there is anything I should know before I book (yes I know about the fire). We are just looking for new ports.

Thanks is advance for your help!

We are doing HAL in 9 days which does three of the less traveled Mexico cruise ship cities, La Paz, Loretto and Topolobampo. We have previously cruised the Riveria with Princess and RC. Living in Mexico we are probably a bit more inclined to do things on our own and see less touristy area's of the cities. In Acapulco we did the cliff divers on our own and walked back to the ship. In PV we went to a mercado and bought beer, a cooler and snacks and found a place on the beach near the cruise ship terminal that allowed us to use thier chairs and umbrellas for the day. In Mazatlan we did Stone Island on our own and made friends with a very nice restaurant manager. Even if you take the organized tours, I think you will enjoy Mexico. Despite what is going on with the "druggies", the real people are kind, courteous and caring. Well, except for some of the taxi drivers in Acapuloco.

Aussiemick: We would love to take that itinerary. You are so right about the people. Most are unassuming, warm and friendly. We also love to go out on our own. Don't care for the touristy thing. Have fond memories of many out of the way beach bars we have been to. In Cabo we do the touristy thing and sit at one of the beach bars and watch the crazy Americans make fools of themselves.

This is will be 5th year my DW and I have cruised the Mexican Riviera. We love this itinerary and have found some wonderful places in Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan. I have some info on my blog at www.affordabletravelsolutions.blogspot.com. In PV we love to go down to the Malecon and stroll head to the Rio Cuale. This river area is has a canopy of trees and great local shops as well as upscale restuarants. We have done the zipline tour which was worth the price and I did an ATV adventure and loved it. In Mazatlan we found a great of the beaten path area called Plaza Machado. It is an artist enclave filled with out door cafes, art galleries and a historic theater. The plaza is a five minute walk from the downtown church along Benito Juarez. We also like to go to the Golden zone and have lunch on the beach at the Las Flores resort. It is just across the street from the jewelry stores. Cabo is Cabo. It doesn't have the ambience of the other two stops however, if you have a long enough port call heading to San Jose Del Cabo is a great idea. This town has old Mexican charm.

This is will be 5th year my DW and I have cruised the Mexican Riviera. We love this itinerary and have found some wonderful places in Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan. I have some info on my blog at www.affordabletravelsolutions.blogspot.com. In PV we love to go down to the Malecon and stroll head to the Rio Cuale. This river area is has a canopy of trees and great local shops as well as upscale restuarants. We have done the zipline tour which was worth the price and I did an ATV adventure and loved it. In Mazatlan we found a great of the beaten path area called Plaza Machado. It is an artist enclave filled with out door cafes, art galleries and a historic theater. The plaza is a five minute walk from the downtown church along Benito Juarez. We also like to go to the Golden zone and have lunch on the beach at the Las Flores resort. It is just across the street from the jewelry stores. Cabo is Cabo. It doesn't have the ambience of the other two stops however, if you have a long enough port call heading to San Jose Del Cabo is a great idea. This town has old Mexican charm.

I loved the Plaza Machado when we were in Mazatlan as well. Great place for folks to go and also walk a few blocks in and see the restoration that is happening with the houses in the area. Love this area:D

We are doing HAL in 9 days which does three of the less traveled Mexico cruise ship cities, La Paz, Loretto and Topolobampo. We have previously cruised the Riveria with Princess and RC. Living in Mexico we are probably a bit more inclined to do things on our own and see less touristy area's of the cities. In Acapulco we did the cliff divers on our own and walked back to the ship. In PV we went to a mercado and bought beer, a cooler and snacks and found a place on the beach near the cruise ship terminal that allowed us to use thier chairs and umbrellas for the day. In Mazatlan we did Stone Island on our own and made friends with a very nice restaurant manager. Even if you take the organized tours, I think you will enjoy Mexico. Despite what is going on with the "druggies", the real people are kind, courteous and caring. Well, except for some of the taxi drivers in Acapuloco.

Ditto on the taxi drivers had bad experience with one there. Sounds like a nice vacation you had.

Cheers

Aussiemick: We would love to take that itinerary. You are so right about the people. Most are unassuming, warm and friendly. We also love to go out on our own. Don't care for the touristy thing. Have fond memories of many out of the way beach bars we have been to. In Cabo we do the touristy thing and sit at one of the beach bars and watch the crazy Americans make fools of themselves.

Yes, here in San Felipe we love to go down to the Malecon, order taco's and beer and pick out which people are from the US and which are local. Very easy to do just by how they walk and dress.

Aussiemick: Although we lived on the Calif/Az border for years, we never made it San Felipe. We have some friends that have moved there. Maybe you know them. They have had a place down there for years and finally retired down there. George and Barbara. Anyway, small world. I would live in Mexico in a heartbeat, however health insurance is an issue. Although I recently saw something that made me believe that I could transfer it there. I will check into it when I have some time to really absorb it. Pre-existing conditions make it mandatory to have good health insurance. We are not concerned about the quality of care down there, just the money issue of getting the medical bills paid.

Have a great day down in beautiful Mexico, wish I were there.

To answer the OP's question: we are doing the MR for the fourth time next year. Everyone has fun (DD's are 9 and 14), but admittedly what keeps us coming back is the consistently attractive pricing and the doable drive to LA.

Mexico itself should be interesting for novices. Coming from Phoenix, the food and the culture are not foreign to us. But if this is your first brush with Mexico and the culture, that will be a plus right there.

The first day is chilly (but usually sunny). Because the current moves in the opposite direction, the Pacific is colder than the Caribbean and the east cost. Once you get down to the Mexican ports, it's warm enough to swim. The beach sand is coarser and the water cloudier than the Caribbean, which matters if snorkeling is a major interest.

Cabo is the newest, most American-style port. The least history, but probably the best stop for jet skis, parasailing, etc. Mazatlan and PV are real cities with real history and plenty to do for any taste. PV is close to the jungle, with monkeys, ziplining, and other neat stuff. There's whale watching and dolphins if that's your thing. We've never felt unsafe--these are very touristy areas. Plenty of retail, plenty of food and drink. For us, the ship is a big part of this vacation, but everyone can find lots to do in every port.

Aussiemick: Although we lived on the Calif/Az border for years, we never made it San Felipe. We have some friends that have moved there. Maybe you know them. They have had a place down there for years and finally retired down there. George and Barbara. Anyway, small world. I would live in Mexico in a heartbeat, however health insurance is an issue. Although I recently saw something that made me believe that I could transfer it there. I will check into it when I have some time to really absorb it. Pre-existing conditions make it mandatory to have good health insurance. We are not concerned about the quality of care down there, just the money issue of getting the medical bills paid.

Have a great day down in beautiful Mexico, wish I were there.

We are on Medicare and drive to the states (125 miles) for any expensive medical care. I assume you could do the same thing with private health insurance. Most of the time we just go to a local doctor here as things lilke my wife's broken foot cost less to treat here than driving to El Centro and paying the co-pay. There has been a lot of talk about Medicare and private health insurance companies reimbursing accredited Mexican doctors and hospitals for treating US residents but it is so tied up in politics I don't expect to see it in my lifetime. That said, Mexico is becomming a large "health care" destination for major medical procedures due to the significant difference in cost.

Aussiemick;

I agree. The problem with private insurance is, we would have to have a US address. Not a problem with a PO box, but that would require someone to periodically check it. Bill is paid on line, but still get stuff sent to us. Like I said, I did see somewhere that they do cover us out of the country. Right now, since we are out of state of California we have what they call a "Blue Card". My insurance is about $600 more per month for the two of than living in California. It is a farce, but one I cannot fix, unless we move back to California. We have done this before, after living in Arizona.

Aussiemick;

I agree. The problem with private insurance is, we would have to have a US address. Not a problem with a PO box, but that would require someone to periodically check it. Bill is paid on line, but still get stuff sent to us. Like I said, I did see somewhere that they do cover us out of the country. Right now, since we are out of state of California we have what they call a "Blue Card". My insurance is about $600 more per month for the two of than living in California. It is a farce, but one I cannot fix, unless we move back to California. We have done this before, after living in Arizona.

Nancy:

We have a PO Box in Calexico thru a mail service here in San Felilpe. They pickup the mail every day in the US and deliver it to our box here. They will forward the mail to the US periodically just for the cost of postage. For $600 a month might be worth a try.

Thanks for all the help! Keep it comming. We are traveling a group of 8 4 adults and 4 kids all boys ages 3,6,10,15 well turning 16 on board. So we will be looking for things to keep them busy!

The kids clubs on most ships will keep them busy . We have done Cabo & Acapulco twice on different cruises . Acapulco is OK . The kids might enjoy walking up to the Old Fort beside the cruise dock.

We are going ona 10 day Mexican Riviera cruise in Jan 2011.

Will have more info . Note we are cruising on Princess so the stops might be different.

Archived