Mont St. Michel

vistapat

DH and I will be visiting Le Havre in June on Vision of the Seas. We are in Le Havre from 9:00AM to midnight. We want to see Mont St. Michel, and would probably prefer a ship's tour due to the distance and not finding many private tours listed. My question is for anyone who has taken a ship's tour to Mont St. Michel. All my research says that there are many steps, and they are steep in places. Does the typical ship's tour allow for those pax who can't go fast up the steps/slopes? And, are the steps as numerous and/or steep as I've seen?

Alternatively, has anyone used a private tour company from Le Havre to Mont St. Michel, and how was the experience/price/etc.?

Thanks for any input.

Patricia

DH and I will be visiting Le Havre in June on Vision of the Seas. We are in Le Havre from 9:00AM to midnight. We want to see Mont St. Michel, and would probably prefer a ship's tour due to the distance and not finding many private tours listed. My question is for anyone who has taken a ship's tour to Mont St. Michel. All my research says that there are many steps, and they are steep in places. Does the typical ship's tour allow for those pax who can't go fast up the steps/slopes? And, are the steps as numerous and/or steep as I've seen?

Alternatively, has anyone used a private tour company from Le Havre to Mont St. Michel, and how was the experience/price/etc.?

Thanks for any input.

Patricia

Hello Patricia

This

has a couple of very brief glimpses of some of the steps. There are a lot but after each flight there is plenty of opportunity to rest or walk around on the flat and I wouldn't have thought they would cause too much of a problem as you can just take them at your own pace. I don't recall any being particularly steep.

Whatever you decide I hope you and your husband have a great day (and cruise).

Tony

We cannot comment about ships tours (we think "tour" is a 4 letter word) but can sure talk about Mont St Michel having spent a day and a night at that location (stopped there on a driving trip). There is no way for a a mobility challenged person to truly explore Mt St Michel. In order to get above the lowest level of the city (where you enter) you must walk up slopes and/or steps that would even be difficult with a lightweight wheelchair. It will be possible to go inside the walled city and see some of the shops at the lowest level, but all the tours do walk up to higher levels. You must keep in mind that Europe does not honor the ADA and many places are difficult for folks with mobility problems. From Le Havre a driving tour to Normandy, a visit to Honfleur, or perhaps an excursion to Giverny (there are some steps involved here) might be better options.

Hank

I am guessing that the ship's tour will not be a tour as such,but drop you off in the parking lot and pick you up at a certain time.I have been to MSM several times and you really will not have a terrible time finding something to do and see even if you can't make it to the top( I only did it one time and nver again).There are some nice restos and some nice shops that one can enjoy. I t really is a sight to see and I would not miss it no matter how you get there.

Thanks to all for your input. DH is not truly mobility challenged - he walks two to three miles daily and leads a normal life. But for some reason, he has had trouble with uphill climbs his whole life. However, I am set on seeing Mont St. Michel, so if need be, we will just take a ship's tour (sorry, Hank!) and hang out at a level he can achieve until they come back down. Again, I'm open to the idea of private transportation, but I'm not finding a lot, and wouldn't consider it without a recommendation from someone here. It's a long way over there.

Thanks again, Patricia

Thanks to all for your input. DH is not truly mobility challenged - he walks two to three miles daily and leads a normal life. But for some reason, he has had trouble with uphill climbs his whole life. However, I am set on seeing Mont St. Michel, so if need be, we will just take a ship's tour (sorry, Hank!) and hang out at a level he can achieve until they come back down. Again, I'm open to the idea of private transportation, but I'm not finding a lot, and wouldn't consider it without a recommendation from someone here. It's a long way over there.

Thanks again, Patricia

If he is walking more than a mile a day he will probably do fine in Mt St Michel. As to the cruise line tours, since we are stockholders we always applaud those that contribute to the "bottom line." :) You are probably aware that it is about a 2:15 min drive (each way) between the port and the attraction which makes many private excursions cost prohibitive. We often rent our own car when in Le Havre and this is another option for those comfortable driving in France. This is certainly a lower cost option when compared to the excursion prices. A group of 4 sharing a car can get to Mont St Michel for about $35 per person so you might want to see is putting anything together on your Roll Call board.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for any input.

Patricia

Patr

Patricia: We used Taxis Le Havre who have a kiosk right as you leave the ship. I arranged in advance for a van for 8 to Mont St. Michel. It was a 10 hour trip with no difficulty getting back to the ship on time. Most lines don't offer a Mont St. Michel tour, so I am surprised. If you do a ship's tour, you are at the mercy of the fitness level of others on your tour. You MUST move as fast as they do if you want to do the tour as they give it. That is why you should do a private excursion. Better prices by far, the ability to go where you want, when you want, and not having to wait for 100 other people to shop, use the bathroom, etc. make private they only way to go. Get on your roll call and get others to join you. Mont St. Michel can be a bit strenuous if you are in a hurry, but if you have the liberty to stop when YOU want, it is very, very doable. There are steps, but many places to stop along the way. It is truly a magnificient place to visit. You don't really need a guide once there, so just the driver from Le Havre is perfect.

Have fun!

Amy

Can I just say, I agree with all the posts here.

I've been there a few times, as a school-kids' coach driver but never on a ship's tour.

Because of the steep climb & varying levels of fitness/speed, I suspect that the cruiseline's "tour" is going to be pretty-well just transportation there & back, plus some background info on the way.

You'd do much better with a private tour/guide who can stick with you once you get there, or much cheaper with a rented car or van & doing your own research.

Anyone with a wheelchair or seriously limited mobility should forget about MSM, regardless of the transport to get there. But your DH sounds fitter than me :o.

The place is interesting from the bottom to the top, with stacks of shops, cafes & the like all the way up. I suspect that comparatively few have chosen to go to the very top, but they'll still have enjoyed the day.

It's a long trip, about 140 miles, up to 2 1/2 hrs, e/w.

And sadly the route is not very interesting.

John Bull

Can I just say, I agree with all the posts here.

I've been there a few times, as a school-kids' coach driver but never on a ship's tour. Because of the steep climb & varying levels of fitness/speed, I suspect that the cruiseline's "tour" is going to be pretty-well just transportation there & back, plus some background info on the way. You'd do much better with a private tour/guide who can stick with you once you get there, or much cheaper with a rented car or van & doing your own research. Anyone with a wheelchair or seriously limited mobility should forget about MSM, regardless of the transport to get there. But your DH sounds fitter than me The place is interesting from the bottom to the top, with stacks of shops, cafes & the like all the way up. I suspect that comparatively few have chosen to go to the very top, but they'll still have enjoyed the day. It's a long trip, about 140 miles, up to 2 1/2 hrs, e/w.

And sadly the route is not very interesting.John Bull

John has given a good and honest summary for various important factors. This is a great site to visit with its wonderful coastal setting . . . BUT?? A wheelchair would be near impossible getting up to the top. If your mobility is slow or limited, you can make it up there, with enough time, patience and strength. Weather can be a factor here, too. It gets foggy at times, making your views either marginal or super interesting under those conditions, that can change, hour to hour. Here are some of my visual from this great, historic location.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 25,700 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Historic Mont st Michel rises up along the French coast on the edge of Normandy. Here are some other visuals as you enter to start the stone stairs up to the top.:

MontStMichSky.jpg

MontStMichEnter.jpg

MontStMichLower.jpg

Lovely photos Terry, must have been taken a while ago see the prices are still in francs! Those were the days!

YES! Great, smart eye on your part looking at those pricing details. It was Spring, 1997 when we were there. Been some time. THANKS for noticing and the nice comments! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 25,700 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Archived