is anybody considering Not flying to get to your cruise?

crusinbanjo

as far as flying.. we just don't anymore...our choice... for us it's too much of a hassel...we used to fly all over... no more...

we are retired so we have the time and drive to Port Everglades from the Carolinas.. about a 12 hour drive... we usually stay over in the Ft Pierce-Hutchinson Island area in Florida for a few days before our cruises--gotta get some fishing time in there on Ft Pierce Inlet--our regular stopover ...... on the way back home it's a straight-thru drive.. 700 miles..

we try to make it worth our while by doing at least back to backs-- 10-20 day or more cruises-- we're driving down there next week for a 28 day roundtrip Canal cruise again... and in October for a roundtrip to Europe--45 days

[quote name='Randyk47']...that's a lot of leave time for my wife. ...[/quote]

Funny how a phrase sets us off. I speak of this only because it is a phrase I use. Did you/your wife once wear the uniform of the country? Do you refer to tenders as "liberty launches" or 'P-boats"?

DW and I drive from DC to Florida ... because we can. We don't like flying, and while I have to do so in my work now and then, she, as she says, doesn't HAVE to. (Except, of course, if it's to Copenhagen or Heathrow to catch the Eurodam ... unless in the unlikely chance I have enough leave to take the QM2 across the pond.)

But, we will leave next Thursday afternoon to arrive Tampa that Saturday for our Sunday Ryndam embarkation. Flying is dreadful but tolerable when necessary or the boss is paying, but I do not fly on my own dime unless I can't do it any other way, including Amtrak or several days of driving.

Dave

[quote name='frogholler']My hubby and I are going to drive down to Ft. Lauderdale in March, 2011 from Tn. for a 10 day cruise.I'm now doing some research on where to leave our car as we don't plan on staying at a hotel.[/QUOTE]
The best places to park are either at the port where the Midport Garage is directly across the road from the HAL terminals or at Park-n-Fly which is just offsite and they shuttle you to your terminal. Personally we love parking at the port- completely secure, covered, and couldn't be more convenient.

I don't do road trips so it's a good thing I don't mind flying or the screenings that go along with it. Really and truly, I don't care if I get patted down, full body scanned or questioned by TSA....it's no biggie to me as I have nothing I'm trying to hide. I'm a really easy going gal and roll with the punches better than most folks, I guess. :) I just want to get on the plane (in my 1st class seat :D) and get to my final destination. I've been flying all my life (my father was a pilot) and it's my preferred method of getting from A to B as quickly as possible.

Even with the enhanced screenings going on, the planes are (for the most part) still flying full. Guess I'm not that much in the minority. ;)

[quote name='RetiredMustang']Funny how a phrase sets us off. I speak of this only because it is a phrase I use. Did you/your wife once wear the uniform of the country? Do you refer to tenders as "liberty launches" or 'P-boats"? Dave[/quote]

We're Army green and gold through and through. I once wore the uniform and then changed to civilian status and retired in 2008 with 42 years of service. Mrs. K has not had the honor of wearing the uniform but has served 22 years as a dedicated civilian for our uniformed men and women. She's TDY in Washington, DC as I type this. :)

Archived