Weather in Jan/Feb for Tahiti cruise

Semolina

I am thinking of booking the 14 day PG cruise on 15th Jan but have just spoken to a friend who sailed previously at the same time of year and he says they never made it into any ports because the weather was so bad. They were never able to get off the ship. I am wondering if this is usual. It's really the only time I can go next year and so perhaps I should leave this cruise for another year. We don't mind the heat as we are used to it living in Hawaii.

I would appreciate hearing any others experience at this time of year.

Thanks

Jennifer

Gosh, your friend's experience was really bad! How awful! All I can say is that we took the 10 day Tahiti/Tuomotos trip 3 years ago at that time, and it was wonderful. Only rained the last day, when we docked in Papeete. This was just before Christmas, 2007. Yes, that is the rainy season, and it is slightly more humid, but it does rain there off and on frequently, regardless of the month. usually it rains for just a short time. The trade winds are always blowing, and I didn't find our trip in Dec. was any hotter or more humid than other times of the year. We have also taken that trip in June, May, and in the summer. You just never know. I have never heard of a trip where the weather was so bad they had to skip the ports! It would be safer from a weather standpoint to book later in the year, but if you can't I would say take the chance and go when you can.

We have been inSeptember, November, December/January and Feb and have had fine weather. Because of high winds in December we were once unable to go to the Bora Bora Motu.

If your friend is referring to the Marquesa or Cooks cruises thats different. Those ports are beset by high winds that can come up suddenly so there is always a chance of a port being cancelled.

I am thinking of booking the 14 day PG cruise on 15th Jan but have just spoken to a friend who sailed previously at the same time of year and he says they never made it into any ports because the weather was so bad. They were never able to get off the ship. I am wondering if this is usual. It's really the only time I can go next year and so perhaps I should leave this cruise for another year. We don't mind the heat as we are used to it living in Hawaii.

I would appreciate hearing any others experience at this time of year.

Thanks

Jennifer

I see that this is the Marquesas trip, right? Are you sure your friends didn't do the Cook Islands? They are notorious for that.

That being said, we did the Marquesas in December, and the weather was lovely, but the captain said that tendering into Fatu Hiva is often problematic at that time of year.

Thank you to everyone for the advice on the weather in Jan. We are trying to arrange our cruise but are having trouble booking a flight. We can get back home but having trouble getting to Papeete. We are flying from Honolulu and Hawaiian are totally booked. So we may be on the cruise and we may not. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Jennifer

Gosh, your friend's experience was really bad! How awful! All I can say is that we took the 10 day Tahiti/Tuomotos trip 3 years ago at that time, and it was wonderful. Only rained the last day, when we docked in Papeete. This was just before Christmas, 2007. Yes, that is the rainy season, and it is slightly more humid, but it does rain there off and on frequently, regardless of the month. usually it rains for just a short time. The trade winds are always blowing, and I didn't find our trip in Dec. was any hotter or more humid than other times of the year. We have also taken that trip in June, May, and in the summer. You just never know. I have never heard of a trip where the weather was so bad they had to skip the ports! It would be safer from a weather standpoint to book later in the year, but if you can't I would say take the chance and go when you can.

Yes we are somewhat flexible but everytime we think we have found a flight we can book it disappears before our eyes. Hawaiian only flies once a week and we are wondering about flying to Samoa and then to Papeete from there. I will let you know what we end up with if my husband hasn't completely burnt out before we find anything. I am doing a lot of the searching but he stresses more than I do.We shall really need this cruise if we ever get there.

Jennifer

Archived