How Long do you think it will be before HAL.....

sail7seas

I've gotten to the point now where I bring a six-pack of wine aboard. One of our local stores (World Market) has neat little six-pack wine carriers. I take one of those, fill it up with some decent wines, clear tape all around it to prevent anything from falling out or coming apart, then put a luggage tag on it even though I hand carry it aboard. This seems to be a good amount of wine for us for a 7-10 day sailing. The wines get drunk on our balcony or with our nicer dinners, mostly at Pinnacle Grill, but -- trust me on this! -- HAL still makes out pretty good on a bar bill with us. There's just something about a cruise vacation that makes the imbibing go down so easily. It's very strange but we really do seem to drink so much more when cruising than we would ever consider doing at home. Wonder why that is.

We don't drink at all at home. We consider the few mixed drinks on board a tradition, one we very much enjoy. This cruise we are considering bringing 2 bottles of wine too, something we've never done. So, who says we can't start new traditions? If it all adds to the enjoyment of the cruise, why not?

I think HAL will keep the tradition going until the Corporate Bosses at Carnival Corporation tell the main office in Seattle to stop and then HAL will have to come. But the orders will come frome Carnival Offices in Miami and through the Office in Seattle but not oringinating in Seattle.

I find nothing wrong with taking a few? bottles of wine on board, but I believe that persons bringing cases on a cruise might in the end spoil it for all concerned, I come from wine country, and always bring a few bottles on HAL or Princess. However, I was told years ago 'Never buy a good, [read expensive], bottle of wine on anything that moves'. Wine like people has to be treated with respect.

john

And how was this "privilege" "abused"?:confused:

I am curiouse about that also, please enlighten me? One of the things that attracted me to HAL was their "bringing wine on board" policy. I had planned on bringing 6 bottles onboard with us, if that is their policy, why would it be a problem?

I have seen their wine list, and neither hubby nor I really care for the wines. We like Molly Dooker and Kim Crawford, I did not find either of those wines on their list. And forget about Moet, the markups on wines when you go out is just short of highway robbery.

Consider this -

There is an assumption on the OP's part that not having a policy limiting the amount of wine pax are allowed to bring onboard is some how detrimental to the line. I'll suggest just the opposite - it benefits the line.

There is a problem with definitions - what constitutes "abuse"? It seems there is an unspoken 'I can't define it, but I know it when I see it - it's that guy with two cases of wine.' The fact is, no one knows how many people he is bringing the wine for, or how long he's going to be onboard (could be doing back-to-backs).

'HAL' isn't stupid - they know many people choose to sail with them because of (lack of) such policy. Not only this, but it seems reasonable that 50% of all wine brought onboard will be consumed with dinner and the $18 (almost 100% pure profit) corkage fee paid. So, where some see 'abuse' with every 12-bottle case of wine, HAL sees $108 for the coffers.

Consider this -

There is a problem with definitions - what constitutes "abuse"? It seems there is an unspoken 'I can't define it, but I know it when I see it - it's that guy with two cases of wine.' The fact is, no one knows how many people he is bringing the wine for, or how long he's going to be onboard (could be doing back-to-backs). .

True, but within the last nine months one person claimed to have wheeled on nine cases of wine! A round the world cruise? Maybe but if this amount was true I find it excessive, regardless of length of cruise, or the number of persons in his party. Would you not agree?

john

True, but within the last nine months one person claimed to have wheeled on nine cases of wine! A round the world cruise? Maybe but if this amount was true I find it excessive, regardless of length of cruise, or the number of persons in his party. Would you not agree?

john

If it is a World Cruise, people are also wheeling on Barcoloungers and sewing machines and heaven knows what else. So what is really the difference?

What is wrong with 9 cases of wine 9 x 12 = 108 bottles, just about one bottle per day for a World Cruise? What would you suggest, to not give the appearance of "abusing" :rolleyes: the policy? Half a bottle per day? Maximum of six bottles of wine? If the wine is for a group of cabins, should each person be forced to carry their own "allotment" of wine?

The argument against taking wine onboard appears to be about perceptions.... the OP seemed to perceive that it was inappropriate to take a case of wine, despite the fact that she did not know if it was for one cabin, or a group. Or whether or not that case was even full -- it may have been 6 bottles packaged by the wine shop into a case for easier carrying. You seem to think that it was inappropriate to take 9 cases, despite not knowing whether it was a World Cruise, or how accurate the report was. Or perhaps a wine club. Or a wedding, wedding anniversary, group of friends travelling together.

No. If it was a world cruise and there were two people in his party, it works out to half a bottle per person per day. You're the only person I 'know' who would consider that excessive.

As I understand it, HAL has a policy that unlimited wine can be carried aboard. Unless HAL specifies an actual bottle count, unlimited = unlimited. There are no privileges upheld nor abused when pax work within this policy.

That is the correct way to view it.

This will be our first HAL cruise. Princess and HAL have become much more interesting to me as Carnival and RCL have cracked down on bringing on alcohol and raising their prices of onboard drinks.

I know I am a captive audience. I know what I am signing up for when I embark. Just don't make it too obvious that you are price gouging me. ;)

Archived