Bacardi tour

sara mom

We did a Bacardi Tour through Holland America last year. The problem was the tour was later after the ship docked and the whole thing took way too much time. We had to wait for the bus - the trip is long by bus due to all the traffic. They we had to wait for the tour and then wait for our tour bus to return to pick us up. We got back to SJ around 5 but while we thought we would have plenty of time to tour the forts - they closed at 5pm so even though the ship was in port until 11pm - we didn't get to do other things we thought we would have time for. I liked the tour & the free drinks but my husband was not very happy because he wanted to see the forts. So we just have to go back again!

We did this earlier this month through Celebrity. It worked out well because after the tour we were taken to the airport for our flight home. We were taken off the ship and put on a bus without delay. The tour was OK, the drinks were good and we bought some neat soveniers at their gift shop. Our flight was at 2:40 and we had plenty of time once we were done. To kill time and get us to the airport after a cruise we would probably do it again although I may want to skip the actual tour.

It is very simple to do the Bacardi tour on your own and the trip is very cheap. If RCI docks right in Old San Juan, you simply need to walk to the Ferry dock and pay around 50 cents for a ticket to Cantano. The taxi runs back and forth regularly. When you get off the ferry in Cantano, there is a garage outside the gates and about a block down on the right where taxi's wait to take passengers back and forth to the Bacardi factory. If you ride with a few other people, the price should be about $3 each way. I made the mistake of stopping to take pictures when I got off the ferry and missed the group of others who were going to the factory. Since we didn't have others to ride with us, it cost $8 to go.

Once you get to the factory, you go to the outside bar area to pick up free tour tickets. You'll get two additional tickets that are good for 2 free drinks. The tour is okay and the grounds are very pretty. Once you finish the tour, there is a nice gift shop (of course!). Then you just reverse your trip back to OSJ.

The whole trip should cost less than ten dollars a piece as long as there are others travelling in the same taxi vans. Even if you go in just a pair and have to pay a little extra for the taxi, the cost should be less than $20. As long as there are cruise ships in port, I'm sure there will be plenty of passengers going back and forth so sharing a taxi van should be easy.

My sister and I had no problem finding our way back and forth by just asking along the way. I've always felt very safe getting around in Old San Juan.

Personally, if you've never explored Old San Juan, I'd do that first. It is a great historic city with lots to see. If you've been there, done that, then the Bacardi Factory makes a nice few hour day trip.

See our do it yourself San Juan, below.
I have read yours and I read this one. Where does the additional $15 cab ride come in? Were you at a different dock? I really want to attempt to do this and El Morro on our own but don't want to get lost or end up paying more then the $30 per person Royal Caribbean wants. Help!!

BonVoyage

Dawna

San Juan will be our 1st port. I have been there before; DH has not. We want to DIY the Bacardi tour but I read somewhere that the last tour is at 4:15 p.m. If our ship arrives at 3 p.m. assuming we're not the 1st ones off, (although we'll try) will we still make the tour & is it worth it at that point?

We have the rest of the evening until 11 pm to explore OSJ.

San Juan will be our 1st port. I have been there before; DH has not. We want to DIY the Bacardi tour but I read somewhere that the last tour is at 4:15 p.m. If our ship arrives at 3 p.m. assuming we're not the 1st ones off, (although we'll try) will we still make the tour & is it worth it at that point?

We have the rest of the evening until 11 pm to explore OSJ.

Hi Trish, If the last tour is at 4:15, you might be cutting it too close. The ferry terminal is right next to where the ships dock, but you might have to wait a little while to catch the ferry. From the other side of the ferry, it is a short ride to the factory by taxi, but overall, I don't think you'd make it that quickly. Maybe you can look up online the definite tour hours.

We will be on a RCI ship that stops in Puerto Rico. Has anyone done the Bacardi tour through the ship? Is it worth it?

We have been 2 times but it was precruise. We arrived 2 days prior to the cruise both times. I think you can get there less expensively on your own. Get the Mojito's for your free drinks. They are awesome there.

MDSue - We will be in San Juan on 12/23/10 from 7am to 3:30pm. Do we have time to tour both Old San Juan and the Bicardi factory? How long do we need to allow for the Bicardi tour? Thanks!

I will jump in here.

Yes, you will have time. Do Bacardi 1st. First tour starts at 8:30am, so plan on getting there then, and you can be back by or before 11:30. Then you have time to explore OSJ.

MDSue - We will be in San Juan on 12/23/10 from 7am to 3:30pm. Do we have time to tour both Old San Juan and the Bicardi factory? How long do we need to allow for the Bicardi tour? Thanks!

Hi Auburngirl- Rainforestgirl is right- you should have plenty of time to do both. You can probably do the Bacardi tour in two to three hours there and back. Old San Juan is very easy to do on your own, either by walking or taking the free trolley. A walking map might make it easier to find areas that interest you. The old forts- San Cristobal and El Morro are easy to get to and very cool.

Thank you for the helpful information! Do you think we'd be able to do the tour on the day we are flying home? Our flight is at 1:50 and our ship arrives at Pam Am pier. RCCL tour is offered to guests who have later flights. What about luggage? I would love to extend vacation as long as possible and a mojito before boarding would be great!

Thanks!

Candy

Thank you for the helpful information! Do you think we'd be able to do the tour on the day we are flying home? Our flight is at 1:50 and our ship arrives at Pam Am pier. RCCL tour is offered to guests who have later flights. What about luggage? I would love to extend vacation as long as possible and a mojito before boarding would be great!

Thanks!

Candy

I think you'd have to rush to try and make this tour with your schedule. You need to plan on being at the airport around noon for a 1:50 flight. If you were really lucky and got off the ship at 8 am (the earliest departure times are given to those with early flights) then you'd have approximately 4 hours to grab a cab to the other pier where the water taxi is. The pier RCCL departs from is about a 10-15 minute cab ride from the dock in OSJ. Then you'd have to check your luggage. There is a place by the water taxi. You might have to wait for the water taxi as they depart every half hour or so (not sure if the exact schedule). Once you reached Cantano, you have to grab another taxi to the Bacardi Factory, and get a ticket for the next tour. After the tour, you've got to back track. I'd say it may be possible, but I don't think you realistically have enough time. If you experience any glitches or delays of the ferry, you'd be pushing it to make it back in time.

I think you'd be safer checking your bags and spending a short time in OSJ instead if you get off the ship early enough.

I think you'd have to rush to try and make this tour with your schedule. You need to plan on being at the airport around noon for a 1:50 flight. If you were really lucky and got off the ship at 8 am (the earliest departure times are given to those with early flights) then you'd have approximately 4 hours to grab a cab to the other pier where the water taxi is. The pier RCCL departs from is about a 10-15 minute cab ride from the dock in OSJ. Then you'd have to check your luggage. There is a place by the water taxi. You might have to wait for the water taxi as they depart every half hour or so (not sure if the exact schedule). Once you reached Cantano, you have to grab another taxi to the Bacardi Factory, and get a ticket for the next tour. After the tour, you've got to back track. I'd say it may be possible, but I don't think you realistically have enough time. If you experience any glitches or delays of the ferry, you'd be pushing it to make it back in time.

I think you'd be safer checking your bags and spending a short time in OSJ instead if you get off the ship early enough.

Thank you for your help. It does sound like we'd be cutting it pretty close. We have one night in SJ before the cruise - maybe that's a better idea.

Archived