Current info on ships docking in GC?

zachnlucy

I've read that Georgetown now has a lottery about a week before a scheduled cruise to determine which ships get to stop there due to the hurricane damage. Does anyone know if this is correct, and if so, how much longer they plan to keep this in effect?

If GC will only allow 8000, why would the port even allow them to be schedule well knowing they can't handle that many?

In that case, only maybe 3 ships would be allowed ashore. Don't the cruise lines plan ahead?

For our date, you're going to have 20,000 (give or take a few) passengers that planned on going, that won't. It doesn't make sense. :confused:

Tis a crock and it stinketh.

Stay with Carnival and you'll make it to GC, it any do. All Carnival ships scheduled to go to GC do, weather permitting.

A large number of RCCL ships do not make it. Some of those were because of recent bouts with Norovirus and GC told them no way. Others are because RCCL is RCCL.

We are sailing the Coral Princess 3/8 cruise. The ship stops in Grand Cayman on 3/14. I just checked the Grand Cayman port schedule for March 2005. The port schedule for the ship is 7am - 2pm (14:00). The port schedule on the Coral Princess itinerary is 7am - 4pm. Anyone have experience with this kind of conflicting schedule - does Princess let you know on board that the schedule has changed? I'm just wondering which schedule I should go by if renting a car? It may not be worth renting a car for a few hours.

We have more often than not had some schedule changes when on board. Once you are on the ship go by your daily info sheet. It's important not to assume anything. Usually our changed have been a half hour to an hour here and there. Sometimes in our favor but more often not. I always schedule so that we can be back early. We watched a couple of latecomers board the moving ship directly form a tour company's boat as we were leaving in GC once. We probably pay way too much to shop at the port but I like to know that we are right there for about an hour before we have to reembark. The tour company's are accustomed to dealing with the ship schedules. If you do a tour independantly just be sure they know when you have to be back. If you are renting a car you will usually be paying for 24 hours anyway so as long as your pick up time is close the return time won't matter much.

Does anyone have any idea where RCCL would go instead of GC if they are not able to go at the last minute? I'm only on a 5 day cruise stopping in just Ochos Rios and GC so I would hate to just go to one island and have another day at sea. I'm hoping they'd take us to another port...any idea??? Thanks. I'd just want to have a plan B in case we don't get to GC.

Does anyone have any idea where RCCL would go instead of GC if they are not able to go at the last minute? I'm only on a 5 day cruise stopping in just Ochos Rios and GC so I would hate to just go to one island and have another day at sea. I'm hoping they'd take us to another port...any idea??? Thanks. I'd just want to have a plan B in case we don't get to GC.

My guess would be Key West. Which ship?

Another day at sea would be grounds for a mutiny.

Everything I've read so far on the RCCL site is Key West, but that makes no sense because Cayman is our middle stop. Does that mean Cozumel and Costa Maya get switched around too? I've already got plans and reservations for those ports! We're supposed to do Cozumel, Cayman and then Costa Maya. Surely the ship ain't gonna squeeze in Key West between Cozumel and Costa Maya. I called RCCL and was told they know nothing about port changes, now or in the future. And that's just a load of crap.

p.s. keep up the good work!!!! AWESOME!!! Still watching the stingray video...you are so talented!!!

???? You must have me confused with Chesterh on the video:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=64838

I have posted a number of still pictures, but no videos - YET!

I set sail in about 24 days to shoot way too many pictures again!

Everything I've read so far on the RCCL site is Key West, but that makes no sense because Cayman is our middle stop. Does that mean Cozumel and Costa Maya get switched around too? I've already got plans and reservations for those ports! We're supposed to do Cozumel, Cayman and then Costa Maya. Surely the ship ain't gonna squeeze in Key West between Cozumel and Costa Maya. I called RCCL and was told they know nothing about port changes, now or in the future. And that's just a load of crap.

I'm confused why you think your ship won't make it to Grand Cayman? There are only 3 ships scheduled to be in Port that day.

Last time I was in Grand Cayman was last Nov 11 and that was the first day 4 ships were allowed in. Well over the 8000 pax "quota" (definite crap) mentioned earlier?

I'm scheduled to be in GC again March 24 when there are 6-8 ships scheduled - depending on which schedule you believe.

Alternates for you could include Belize, Calica, Playa del Carmen, Cancun, Progresso,..., depending on which, if any, has room. Ports are getting really overloaded and cruise lines are scrambling to create new ones.

Hi - I'm on the Enchantment scheduled to stop in Grand Cayman on March 8th....so soon! I can't wait to get away! Anyway - so are you still thinking Key West if we can't stop in GC? I don't care where we go honestly - I just want to do a little research before I go so I have an idea of what to do in the port we would stop at instead...thanks for the help!

Oh and I believe 5 ships are scheduled to be in port that day. Sounds like too many to me - maybe some of us won't make it. I will be sort of upset but will completely understand - I've just been looking forward to seeing Grand Cayman.

I'm confused why you think your ship won't make it to Grand Cayman? There are only 3 ships scheduled to be in Port that day.

I dunno, sometimes I look for things to worry about. :o And I've read on some threads that not all ships are listed on the grand cayman port website.

Hi - I'm on the Enchantment scheduled to stop in Grand Cayman on March 8th....so soon! I can't wait to get away! Anyway - so are you still thinking Key West if we can't stop in GC? I don't care where we go honestly - I just want to do a little research before I go so I have an idea of what to do in the port we would stop at instead...thanks for the help!

Oh and I believe 5 ships are scheduled to be in port that day. Sounds like too many to me - maybe some of us won't make it. I will be sort of upset but will completely understand - I've just been looking forward to seeing Grand Cayman.

Now I'm not so sure about Key West unless they rearranged the whole itinerary. Jamaica is the first stop. From there, they might could make it to Cozumel.

5 ships is NOT too many for Grand Cayman (but close). Ya'll need to think positive.

If you pick up a 2005 book on Western Carribean Cruises (or just browse one at a bookstore), that should cover pretty much all of the choices + an overview of what might be available.

In the recent past RCCL had norovirus problems and GC didn't want the passengers ashore to contaminate the other cruise ships. All that should be cleared up by now.

http://www.caymannetnews.com/2005/01/773/cruisers.shtml

In May, a new tender dock is supposed to open which will allow an additional 4 cruise ships/day. I realize this is too late for ya'll.

The island can handle more visitors, the limiting factor is how many tenders it can handle. Cruise ships certainly know more that 3 days ahead what the itiinerary is. Sea conditions, illness, assorted emergincies can change that, but that is the exception, not the rule.

I expect both of you to report later that I guessed correctly! :D

zydecocruiser - We are also scheduled to be in Grand Cayman on March 24. We are on the Radiance of the Seas. Which ship are you on? I had gone to cruisecal.com to find out which ships are there that day. It says there are 6 including ours. The guy that runs the website also said he tries to be accurate, but sometimes his list is wrong.

Gail

zydecocruiser - We are also scheduled to be in Grand Cayman on March 24. We are on the Radiance of the Seas. Which ship are you on? I had gone to cruisecal.com to find out which ships are there that day. It says there are 6 including ours. The guy that runs the website also said he tries to be accurate, but sometimes his list is wrong.

Gail

Valor. Yep, CruiseCal goes by what the cruise lines say, so it could be wrong. The Grand Cayman Port Authority lists 8 ships, but it may or may not be accurate. I would say six ships at a minimum. The arriival/departure times are somewhat staggered, so it won't be prime tender rush hour for all ships at the same times.

http://www.caymanport.com/schedule.htm

Certainly some RCCL ships are stopping in GC.

I will definitely report back whether we make it to Grand Cayman or not! Thanks for all the info and tips. I got one of the books you recommended so I'm all set if we do stop somewhere else instead....I leave this Saturday! I can't wait!

Thanks for posting the link. We're due there on the 27th w/ Brilliance. They only show 2 ships that day but I wonder if ones from more crowded days will move to our date. How can so many ships be scheduled on some of these days--? The place is so congested to begin with--traffic a nightmare. We will snorkel & avoid the roads--that is if weather & other factors don't bump it from our itin...

We plan on being there on 11/17/05. We are 1 of 11 ships scheduled! I can't imagine all of us being allowed there.

We will be stopping there in Dec. I have heard the re-building since the hurricane is going very slowly, but my your sailing and ours alot should be improved. If not, let's hope they stop someplace really cool. November is still along way from now. NMnitai

Archived