Help please ! Cruiseline suggestions needed !

Ykgorbie

A friend of mine wants to surprise his parents with a cruise for their anniversary. His parents are in their late fifties, Vietnamese, well travelled, although they have never been to the Caribbean. My friend asked me to help him plan something and I'm at a loss as to which cruise line would best suit his parents. Having only sailed on Carnival (4x), I'm not sure what to suggest. His father is quite laid back but his mother is very reserved and "proper". I was thinking she would maybe like a cruiseline with a very elegant feel to it.....not sure whether to suggest Princess or HAL or just have them try Carnival. They have always wanted to try a cruise, but I just wanted your suggestions as to where they should begin their addiction !!

They can make it what they want it to be. They would enjoy which ever line they sail.

I see this sentiment often here and don't think I agree. You cannot make things what you want just because you want them. For example, many people do not like Cunard because they find it to be too sedate. Could you really make it want ever you wanted? Or complain that HAL goes to bed at 10 pm- how would a couple, or even a small group, change that? Certainly you have a significant impact on your trip, but there are real differences in what a cruise line is aiming for. They don't always succeed, but they have ideas about what they hope their cruises will be like, and who they are hoping to please.

That being said, my mother enjoyed her trip on Celebrity a great deal, and I'm not so sure she would have enjoyed a Carnival trip as much.

I don't know. But I would suggest you check their websites to get a sense of what they think they are offering. Who are they appealing to? Not long ago Celebrity had a big ad campaign about making people feel special- like celebrities. I personally did not have a wonderful experience with Princess, but one trip doesn't really define a cruiseline- we have friends who love Princess. I am going to try Celebrity soon- they are not owned by Carnival so may have a more different experience although I have NO complaints about the trips we have had on Carnival. If I did I wouldn't have two more cruises booked.

No, both non-smoking.

Azamara is owned by RCL and a newer line.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=466

There are some cunard cruises out of NYC as well that I was considering. You do have to dress formal for the balls and dinner, a lot more so than these family oriented cruiselines. Cunard is owned by Carnival.

who owns which line only matters if they own stock in either carnival or RCL and want OBC.

Archived