Questions about Oosterdam

KimberleyFL

Hi everyone.

We (DH and I) have been on the Zaandam, Ryndam, and Veendam. This will be my first time on the Oosterdam in January, so I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

What year was the Oosterdam built? One one website it says 2003 and on another it says 2006.

Has she been in dry doc for remodeling? What kind of shape is she in?

Were you on Oosterdam lately? Did you find the cruise experience any different on this larger ship? I'm speaking about the quiet elegance that I loved so much on the other HAL ships.

This will be our first time out of San Diego. Do you have any port tips for us?

Our flight departing San Diego leaves at 12:20. Is that plenty of time to debark and get to the airport on time (considering security lines)?

Thank You.

Kimberley,

The ship was built in 2003, we sailed on her in 2005 and it was 2 years old at the time.

Unless something drastic happens you should make your 12:20 flight just fine. the airport is less than a mile from the cruise ship terminal. Very short cab ride.

We live in SD so if you have any other questions about SD just ask.

Hello

DH and I took the Oosterdam to Alaska about 2 1/2 years ago out of Seattle. She looked a bit worn but still a beautiful ship. It is a big ship compared to the Ryndam which we just love. The food on Oosterdam was very good as well as deserts. I love to eat so food is important to me.

My understanding is in 2009, Oosterdam was dry docked. They added a new Pinnacle Bar, They also added a new library - coffee bar-Internet Café. I also read that they now have an alternative Italian eatery which is at no cost but you need reservations cause it fills up fast. I read all these updates in some recent posts as well as the actual "cruise ship review" by cruise critics. Also I just confirmed they have "Happy Hour" from 3:30-4:30pm daily..;) 50% off well drinks.

I'm excited about the library and coffee shop as DH and I spend much time relaxing with a good book and some JAVA. We live on the West Coast and decided to cruise on her again in January. We have a 11am flight home which is plenty of time since the dock is only 10 minutes away from the Airport. There is much to do in San Diego so if you are able to fly in the night before you will be able to relax and enjoy the city. Hope this helps...

Hi, just off Oosterdam today! It was a wonderful vacation, & a great cruise. The ship was built in 2003, but must have had some furnishings & carpet replaced, very clean! our balcony cabin was comfortable & very clean, the furnishings & bathroom are not fancy, but servicable, plastic looking bathroom. Nice flatscreen tv's with dvd players. Vinyl chair & vanity stool are cracked & peeling, but again, clean. Wonderful, comfortable bed. Loved the outdoor promenade decks. Warm, friendly staff. This was a thanksgiving cruise, so the ship was packed with families, I assume other weeks are quieter.

Would cruise her again, as long as the price is right. I'd say you'll be fine with a 12:30 flight. I'll post a full review later.

Thanks everyone for the information.

SD Cruise Cpl, We are flying in the day before the cruise. We are staying downtown; I guess the area is called Little Italy. I assume this is close to the port. Is this a nice area? Can you recommend a restaurant for dinner?

justluv2cruisewithhubby, We also like the Ryndam (did that last Christmas), but our favorite so far is the Veendam. We are staying the night before the cruise in San Diego, but are flying home the day we disembark. Thanks for the flight times information. I feel better about the time of our flight. We usually cruise out of the Florida ports since they are close to home.

cruise kitty, Thanks for the quick overview of your trip. I can't wait for your review. We only booked this last month, so we didn't have long to wait this time.

Thanks everyone for the information.

SD Cruise Cpl, We are flying in the day before the cruise. We are staying downtown; I guess the area is called Little Italy. I assume this is close to the port. Is this a nice area? Can you recommend a restaurant for dinner?

justluv2cruisewithhubby, We also like the Ryndam (did that last Christmas), but our favorite so far is the Veendam. We are staying the night before the cruise in San Diego, but are flying home the day we disembark. Thanks for the flight times information. I feel better about the time of our flight. We usually cruise out of the Florida ports since they are close to home.

cruise kitty, Thanks for the quick overview of your trip. I can't wait for your review. We only booked this last month, so we didn't have long to wait this time.

Little Italy is nice, and a stone's throw from both the airport and the cruise terminal. Eat at any of the italian restaurants that appeal to you as you walk by (there are a dozen or more), but my favorite is Fillippi's.

If you are a hearty sort, you can walk to the cruise terminal from the hotel - it's a short walk, mostly downhill. The wild card is the luggage.

Oosterdam is nice - we were on here in VD 4043 and 4045 just a few weeks ago. The staterooms are worn, but the public areas are great. Putting the coffee bar and library in the crow's nest is nice for everyone else, but a bummer for me - Used to be I was one of the only ones up there most of the day and into the evening. My favorite place on the ship.

Happy hour from 3:30 - 4:30 in the Ocean Bar and a late night happy hour (10:30 or so) in the Piano Bar, but I never made it to the late one.

I posted a review in this forum a few weeks ago - you're welcome to search for it.

Have fun!

Little Italy is nice, and a stone's throw from both the airport and the cruise terminal. Eat at any of the italian restaurants that appeal to you as you walk by (there are a dozen or more), but my favorite is Fillippi's.

If you are a hearty sort, you can walk to the cruise terminal from the hotel - it's a short walk, mostly downhill. The wild card is the luggage.

Oosterdam is nice - we were on here in VD 4043 and 4045 just a few weeks ago. The staterooms are worn, but the public areas are great. Putting the coffee bar and library in the crow's nest is nice for everyone else, but a bummer for me - Used to be I was one of the only ones up there most of the day and into the evening. My favorite place on the ship.

Happy hour from 3:30 - 4:30 in the Ocean Bar and a late night happy hour (10:30 or so) in the Piano Bar, but I never made it to the late one.

I posted a review in this forum a few weeks ago - you're welcome to search for it.

Have fun!

Great info! Thanks. I was looking at a google map and could find the airport and little italy, but I couldn't find the port. I thought they were all in short distance, but wasn't sure until your response. I'm looking forward to this cruise in late January. Although I also cruise other lines, HAL is my favorite.

• 2 weeks later...

The cruise terminal is very close. if you are looking at a map of downtown SD follow B street into the bay and you have found it.

For dinner there is a wide variety of choices. Little Italy is known for it's Italian restaurants but I do not have any personal recommendations. If you would like something a little more fancy there is a Ruth's Chris steak house right by the pier. There are a lot of great places to eat downtown including a spectacular all you can eat Brazilian BBQ. A short cab ride to Old Town and you can have a delightful dinner at Casa De Reyas, excellent Mexican food.

The cruise terminal is very close. if you are looking at a map of downtown SD follow B street into the bay and you have found it.

For dinner there is a wide variety of choices. Little Italy is known for it's Italian restaurants but I do not have any personal recommendations. If you would like something a little more fancy there is a Ruth's Chris steak house right by the pier. There are a lot of great places to eat downtown including a spectacular all you can eat Brazilian BBQ. A short cab ride to Old Town and you can have a delightful dinner at Casa De Reyas, excellent Mexican food.

Thanks for the restaurant tips. Is the Brazilian BBQ in Little Italy? That sounds good.

Hi everyone.

We (DH and I) have been on the Zaandam, Ryndam, and Veendam. This will be my first time on the Oosterdam in January, so I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

What year was the Oosterdam built? One one website it says 2003 and on another it says 2006.

Has she been in dry doc for remodeling? What kind of shape is she in?

Were you on Oosterdam lately? Did you find the cruise experience any different on this larger ship? I'm speaking about the quiet elegance that I loved so much on the other HAL ships.

This will be our first time out of San Diego. Do you have any port tips for us?

Our flight departing San Diego leaves at 12:20. Is that plenty of time to debark and get to the airport on time (considering security lines)?

Thank You.

We were on her after she came out of dry dock. I was really worried as I like the S&R ships and she sounded so big. We enjoyed this cruise very much and found her elegant and spacious. Enjoy your cruise :)

We arrived at the airport last Saturday around 11:45 AM to check luggage for a 3:20 flight on Southwest. You can check luggage exactly 4 hours ahead of a scheduled flight and not a minute earlier. We stood in line for 40 to 45 minutes to check luggage. The Southwest part of the terminal was chaotic with lines for both check in and security BLOCKS long and I am not exaggerating. We left the airport and went to visit the USS Midway. We returned at 2:00 and all the lines were gone and we breezed through security.

The chaos and long lines apparently happen every Saturday morning when the Oosterdam passengers and possibly other cruise passengers all get to the airport. My experience is only with Southwest, so maybe other airlines have it more together. Southwest did not have enough staff to handle the situation.

Good luck. I suggest you get to the airport as early as possible to make your flight.

The port is about a mile or 2 from the airport and from downtown San Diego. Cabs are about $10. from either place and are readily and easily available. The cab drivers know right where to bring you. The port is very easy to navigate.

Embarkation at 11:45 on 12/10 could not have been easier or more pleasant.

San Diego is a wonderful city. We stayed there 2 nights before our cruise and wished we'd had more time there.

Cabs are lined up waiting to take people to the airport post cruise. $10.

How far is Marriott SD Hotel & Marina from Port. Looks like we can walk.

Thanks

Sorry... the Marriott is not really within walking distance, especially with luggage. It may look close on a map, but in actuality, it is several miles from the port. (A short cab ride though :)

Hi, just off Oosterdam today! It was a wonderful vacation, & a great cruise. The ship was built in 2003, but must have had some furnishings & carpet replaced, very clean! our balcony cabin was comfortable & very clean, the furnishings & bathroom are not fancy, but servicable, plastic looking bathroom. Nice flatscreen tv's with dvd players. Vinyl chair & vanity stool are cracked & peeling, but again, clean. Wonderful, comfortable bed. Loved the outdoor promenade decks. Warm, friendly staff. This was a thanksgiving cruise, so the ship was packed with families, I assume other weeks are quieter.

Would cruise her again, as long as the price is right. I'd say you'll be fine with a 12:30 flight. I'll post a full review later.

Do you have any daily schedules you can scan & post?

Archived