handicapped passenger

gammasip

Can anyone tell me what the procedure is for boarding with a handicapped passenger? Is there priority boarding?

We will be driving to the pier in NJ and parking there. Can we drop off passengers, baggage and then park?

Thanks. Any help is appreciated!

I don't know about the parking, but I do know that if you have your TA contact RCI you can get priority booking. If you didn't use a TA, just call RCI, or e-mail them yourself. I am sure they will be glad to help you.

You will have a wonderful cruise!

Michelle

One thing is a must. Whether you booked through a TA or not, you should call RCI and ask for the Special Needs department. Please note that it is only open regular East Coast business hours (something like 9-6 M-F). This is the appropriate department to ask about what arrangements are possible and they should be able to send appropriate notes to the ship so the ship knows what is required for this passenger. Even though we booked through an Internet discount service, I contacted RCI directly for concerns about DW (who is visually impaired) and what we would have available. Unfortunately I didn't learn about the Special Needs department until Friday 2 days before we sailed and I ended up having to make arrangements with the Guest Relations desk. I was told later that better arrangements could have been made had I been able to get in touch with "Special Needs" before we cruised.

Thanks for your help. We did use a TA, but I will contact the Special Needs dept. myself to let them know and see what they suggest for boarding. This is going to be one special cruise. We are celebrating my dad's 81st birthday on the Voyager!!!!:D

DH has a condition that sometimes requires help and sometimes does not. Our TA advised RCCL that he might need wheelchair assistance. When we arrived for our Voyager trip last year, we were dropped off at baggage check, checked our bags and then walked (just a few feet) to the terminal where we requested a wheelchair for him. Just took a couple of minutes to get one and then we were whisked to priority boarding (we had a JS) where I filled out the boarding papers and then onto the shuttle. When the bus got to the ship, he was taken in the wheelchair right onto the ship and directly to the cabin. No problem at all - just have some tip money handy.

It would be also good to verify with guest relations that you need a wheelchair to disembark also - again, they assigned someone to him to get him off the ship.

gerif...my dad has an electric wheelchair, so he won't need one from RCCL. But could you tell me about the bus we will have to board. :eek: Will my dad be able to "drive" his chair onto the bus (via a platform)? He isn't able to do any stairs.

Thanks!

I would guess that the buses are accessible, as the ships themselves are completely accessible, even have lifts into the pools.

When they see you coming into the terminal in a wheelchair, they will whisk you to the front of the line.

All week, people will be helping you!

Gamma,

I am handicapped and use an power chair too so maybe I can help.

What bus ae you referring to? Non US ports aren't very accessible at all, look at the disaabled tavel section on this board for any particulars. A handicapped cabin is a must for someone who can't transfer!!! Regular cabin doors aren't wide enough and there is a step into the bathroom.

Power chairs aren't allowed on tenders, bring a manual chair or rent one, the ship doesn't do loaners.

Which ship are you on, and what is your destination?

If there is a line to board, my experience is I wait in the line with everyone else, it isn't a big deal. We go eat first in the Windjammer and then make sure of our seating in the dining room.

Elevators are ok for the muster drill, they have you leave early to avoid the stampede!

A cruise for mobility challenged is great on the ship. Off the ship is a diiffrent experience. Special needs department doesn't communicate with the ships very well!!!!!! I have found through trial and error that a travel agent who specializes in handicapped travel is indespensable.

Sherry

gerif...my dad has an electric wheelchair, so he won't need one from RCCL. But could you tell me about the bus we will have to board. :eek: Will my dad be able to "drive" his chair onto the bus (via a platform)? He isn't able to do any stairs.

Thanks!

It wasn't really a "bus" but more a little shuttle-type thing that did have a ramp. There were several people in wheel chairs on board.

When I have been with someone with a wheelchair, we have never waited in line. But it could vary by the port. If you don't want to stand in line, just ask for special consideration. I'm sure the port folks will be happy to accommodate, if they haven't already offered.

You are all so kind to respond so quickly!

Shebbieal....the bus I was talking about is in NJ when we first board the Voyager. I take it that we park and board a bus to get to the ship. My father does have a handicapped cabin. He will not be getting off the ship at any of the ports, so we never even checked into what is and isn't accessible. We are just thankful he is able to join us on our cruise!

Thank you to all for responding and helping answer my questions!

I was on the Mariner last month with my son who is in a wheelchair. You will get taken to the head of the line in the terminal. And, everyone on board will help you all that they can. I assume you have a handicapped cabin? You will love the space that they have. And very accessible showers.

To the person who said that power chairs are not allowed on the tenders: We did the western carribbean. There was a woman that took her power chair on the tender to grand cayman. No one said that she couldn't bring it. The problem was, the lift on the tender wasn't working. RCI made the crew on the tender lift my son down the stairs in his chair, but they weren't able to do it for the woman with the power chair. The crew on the tenders saw us get on with these chairs and never said that the lift was broken. It was also the only one that had a lift. The RCI crew were not happy about it.

Anyway, have a great time and happy birthday to your dad! :)

Archived