Nile Delta Tour - Port Said to Alexandria

Capricruiser

I will be arriving on the MSC Melody at Port Said on 4 May 2011 around 8 in the morning. The ship will off load excursionists (99% going to Cairo) and then sail for Alexandria to reembark said excursionists around 9-10 the same evening. I've been to both Cairo and Alex many times (and done all the tours) but have always been curious about the lower Nile delta territory. I wonder if anyone has had experience traveling from Port Said to Alex, stopping to visit sights along the way, like Tanis and Rashid (Rosetta) to name just two? I know its best to have a guide and driver to do this. Has anyone done this with a tour operator? I've used Ramses in the past but this is not one of their standard tours. Any advice would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

No responses. I have emailed Ramses Tours outlining what I'd like to do; go from Port Said to Tanis for 2-3 hours, then drive to Alexandria via Rosetta, arriving Alex in the early evening to meet the Melody's arrival. When I receive a reply with the tour cost I'll post again. It would be nice to have one or two others along.

I'll let you know Cruisemom. I love cruising the eastern Mediterranean but every itinerary has Alexandria or Port Said/Alexandria. I've been to both so many times and I've seen everything there is to see in or near Cairo (even walking around on my own) so these port calls are getting old, causing me to be one of the old folks that remain on board and soak up the sun. I hope to do something different in May, but then I'll have the same problem for the next cruise in October!

I will be arriving on the MSC Melody at Port Said on 4 May 2011 around 8 in the morning. The ship will off load excursionists (99% going to Cairo) and then sail for Alexandria to reembark said excursionists around 9-10 the same evening. I've been to both Cairo and Alex many times (and done all the tours) but have always been curious about the lower Nile delta territory. I wonder if anyone has had experience traveling from Port Said to Alex, stopping to visit sights along the way, like Tanis and Rashid (Rosetta) to name just two? I know its best to have a guide and driver to do this. Has anyone done this with a tour operator? I've used Ramses in the past but this is not one of their standard tours. Any advice would be appreciated.

Interesting as the Azamara Quest will also be in Alexandria on May 4th. It's her only port stop from Dubai to Athens. Azamara will not even have their tours posted until 2011 and I'm waiting to hear about a flight/tour to Luxor as the only private company I could find needs 40 passengers for a charter. I was wondering if any other ship would be in port that day.

Is Port Said closer to Cairo than Alexandria?

Archived