First Timer Questions

missusc

I really love all the information here. We cruise for the first time in a week and suddenly I have all these questions. We are on NCL Pearl/ western Caribbean.

1. Do we need to bring alot of cash for the shore expiditions that we are booking separate from the ship? Do people bring traveler's checks? Do you use American dollars to pay for purchases in the various ports of call. Or is there an exchange service on the ship to get local currency?

2. What is the first thing one should do when we board the ship? Where do you sign up for shows and activities? Do you do this at the very beginning or on a daily basis.

How much cash you'll need depends on the excursion...many take credit cards...and some will let you pay in advance.

You can cash travelers checks on the ship....I wouldn't take them ashore and try to use them...cash them on the ship and bring cash ashore. We simply bring cash...easier. Your cabin should have a safe to store your valuables.... Most every port will accept US dollars.

What WE do 1st when boarding the ship is get a drink!!!! Some folks like to check their dining table (not sure why...it's a table!!! It's the COMPANY at the table that makes dinner special!!!) Others will book any specialty dining, or spa appointments.....it's really up to you!

Most daily activities are just "show up"...no prearrangements needed. Same with shows.

If you are taking private tours you will need cash in the currency the tour operators require. Most will accept US$. Some may accept credit cards, but don't count on it.

Shops and vendors will take US$. Make sure you have lots of small bills as many will give change in the local currency.

I really love all the information here. We cruise for the first time in a week and suddenly I have all these questions. We are on NCL Pearl/ western Caribbean.

1. Do we need to bring alot of cash for the shore expiditions that we are booking separate from the ship? Do people bring traveler's checks? Do you use American dollars to pay for purchases in the various ports of call. Or is there an exchange service on the ship to get local currency? Traveler's checks are really hard to get (none of the 6 banks in my area even carry them). Some of the vendors will accept credit cards; otherwise you can either find an ATM machine (they're everywhere, and certainly somewhere in the port area), or cash a check at the purser's desk on the ship.

If you shop when in port, most of the shops will accept credit cards...but you'll want to have cash as a back-up, in case they won't. There will be a safe in your cabin where you can leave extra cash; just take what you think you'll spend in port that day.

Yes, US dollars will work just fine; you won't have to bother with currency exchange.

2. What is the first thing one should do when we board the ship? Where do you sign up for shows and activities? Do you do this at the very beginning or on a daily basis.

The shows and most activities are simply "walk up" -- you don't need to sign up, or make reservations. You DO have to make reservations at the spa, if you want to use those services. Reservations for specialty restaurants are usually made the day before, or the morning of the day you want to go there. There will be a booth somewhere in the main atrium area (where the purser's desk is) where you can sign up, or once you get to your cabin, you can do it by phone.

Watch your daily newsletter for any activities that may require registration. I don't remember there being any on our last cruise on NCL, though...

What to do first? We usually find something to drink, then see if there is a main dining room open (they'll not advertise this as they really want you to go to the buffet), and have a sit-down leisurely lunch. By the time we're finished with that, the cabins are open and ready for us to start moving in.

Have a great cruise!

There are no daily activities on the ship you sign up for. You just decide what you want to do, and then show up at the appointed hour and place. There will be a daily schedule of activities in your cabin the night before.

You should bring cash. A lot of one's for tips and smaller denomination bills. Also for tipping extra at the end of the cruise for wait staff, cabin stewards and such and for baggage handlers. I can't think of any port stop where they won't accept the dollar currency. Just be aware that when you pay with dollars you will most likely get any change back in the local currency so it is best if you can pay for what you purchase to the nearest dollar to limit the change back. I will bring at least $200 in bills with at least $50 in ones, the rest $5's and a few $10's. If you plan to pay for excursions with cash then be sure to bring enough extra to pay them also. I just use the $200 for incidentals. Don't keep all your money in one place. Put some in your shoe, your wallet or purse, front pocket back pocket, shirt pocket just in case someone in a crowd has light fingers so you don't loose it all, after all the rich Americans won't miss it.

If you want to use credit cards you should contact the issuer that you will be using it out of the country so they don't deny a purchase. To me travelers checks are a hassle since you can only cash them in a few places and they are usually in larger amounts, plus you don't want local currency in return for them.

Archived